Consensus on going to 18" tires and rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 1998 Lumina and I want to put snow tires on the stock 15" rims and order up a nice set of all seasons and new rims. I want some pretty rims. Am I being stupid in going to 18" instead of 16 17 or even 15 inch rims? I like the look but will ride suffer. Heck forget ride. I only drive this car a couple miles to work everyday anyways around a tiny town with decent roads. Do 18" tires hold up as good as 16"s?

It's just an old beater but I really want a set of pretty rims. I'm wierd. My friends are buying Harleys and Cummins diesels and I just want some shiny gangsta rims on my ol beater. Maybe I should go 17" instead of 18".

What do y'all think?

I went to tirerack and plugged in 1998 Lumina and they have a ton of really purty rims for my car all the way to 18".

Originally Posted By: Bangaroo
It's a 1998 Lumina and I want to put snow tires on the stock 15" rims and order up a nice set of all seasons and new rims. I want some pretty rims. Am I being stupid in going to 18" instead of 16 17 or even 15 inch rims? I like the look but will ride suffer. Heck forget ride.

You are a good candidate for the 18 inch wheels. You know why you want them, and you know what to expect. Go for it. You have analyzed things nicely.

I have a set of SHUK 18" (made in korea) rims with kumho ast tires on my XG350L, I have had the rims for about 7 yrs and use the 16" stockers for studded snow tires. The 18's much improve the handling and look awesome love em' so do the ladies
grin2.gif
, but you must use extra caution around potholes and construction areas
shocked.gif
if I had to do it all over again I would have went with 17's. Hope this helps.

I don't see a problem with going to 18s, if you can afford the upsize
wink.gif
Looking at 100-150 per rim.....unless you go used of course.....

Likewise.....you got a wide-array of possibile sizes....to keep the odometer/tripmeter in check.....225/45-18
225/50-18
235/45-18
245/45-18

All of which have a wide array of tires available...Note: tires are gonna be expensive too :X Again, unless you go used.....looking at ~104 per tire at least....depending on which size you ultimately settle on.

It's a 1998 Lumina and I want to put snow tires on the stock 15" rims and order up a nice set of all seasons and new rims. I want some pretty rims. Am I being stupid in going to 18" instead of 16 17 or even 15 inch rims? I like the look but will ride suffer. Heck forget ride. I only drive this car a couple miles to work everyday anyways around a tiny town with decent roads. Do 18" tires hold up as good as 16"s?

It's just an old beater but I really want a set of pretty rims. I'm wierd. My friends are buying Harleys and Cummins diesels and I just want some shiny gangsta rims on my ol beater. Maybe I should go 17" instead of 18".

What do y'all think?

I went to tirerack and plugged in 1998 Lumina and they have a ton of really purty rims for my car all the way to 18".

Why stop at the gangsta rims? GO all out. Wear a knit hat all the time, have pants hanging down to your knees, tatoo's all over, and most importantly don't forget your gold tooth.

33.gif

Sure -- your wheels will be worth more than your car. Do it. All kidding aside, I'd hit up CL for another cheap set of OE wheels, and possibly tires with decent tread. 16" would be the max I'd put on that car.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Why stop at the gangsta rims? GO all out. Wear a knit hat all the time, have pants hanging down to your knees, tatoo's all over, and most importantly don't forget your gold tooth.

33.gif

IMO that statement is going too far. I would not call people small penises just because they drive excessively large lifted SUVs.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

33.gif

IMO that statement is going too far. I would not call people small penises just because they drive excessively large lifted SUVs.

Exactly, I knew I would get this kinda response here though...I come here for technical stuff. I'm educated and make good money. I want a hot car. I sit down and think about it. My Lumina is paid for..and the head gaskets are done. I know it ain't a Cadillac but I enjoy the ride. For a 1998 it sure reminds me of a 1970's car...can you say, "couch for the highway".

So why should I take on new "hot" car payments when I can throw on some blingy rims and enjoy the heck outta them...I'm a bit subconscious about this decision because I have always been a practical person but at 32 years old with a good income and not wanting more payments...I dunno...the wife won't let me put cool rims on the 08 Focus that is just about paid for..

This is my fun car..and I actually enjoy the snude remarks..It ain't about you..I just wanna know if 18's are stupid because the 16" tire is so much better because...???

Thanks PandaBear for a fair and unbiased awesomeness...I mean the Sun is gonna blow up one day and melt the solar system anyyways...I just wanna know if 18"s are stupid for logistics and technical aspects..

Originally Posted By: S_Walmer
Here is a few pics of my hyundai XG350L with 18's. Very random car! Click on images to enlarge.
shocked2.gif

Nice..I like it! Doesn't look gangsta at all. It looks teutonic..how do you teutonic in Korean..

I'm just sick of the ratty ol' plastic hubcaps and I can afford this..

It's either a new gun or rims..I gotta plenty of guns..I need some bling in my life..

Is that a bad thing?

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Sure -- your wheels will be worth more than your car. Do it. All kidding aside, I'd hit up CL for another cheap set of OE wheels, and possibly tires with decent tread. 16" would be the max I'd put on that car.

Why is 16" the max you would put on my car? It is heavy..does that have anythang do do with it?

Most all aftermarket wheels are ugly, and giant wheels on an older near-worthless car screams ghetto.

I have no problem upgrading wheels, but it's all in the selection.

I liked my A&L Racing Saruwatari 18"s

Too bad a doofus tire guy destroyed one of them

They weren't significantly louder or rougher riding than my 17"s but they stuck.

I only averaged 25-30,000 miles a tire though

HPIM0408.jpg

Here is a few pics of my hyundai XG350L with 18's. Very random car! Click on images to enlarge.
shocked2.gif

Nice..I like it! Doesn't look gangsta at all. It looks teutonic..how do you teutonic in Korean..

It's either a new gun or rims..I gotta plenty of guns..I need some bling in my life..

Is that a bad thing?
Thanks! If you can afford it try a set of new rims. I know it's a little off topic but cross drilled and or slotted rotors really set it off. I remember when I bought the car new back it 2003 alot of people complimented me thought it was a new Lincoln or a Lexus model and were shocked (In a good way) when I told them it was a Hyundai. Never heard anyone call it teutonic but I'll take it. Cool
thumbsup2.gif
I wanted something different not JDM but KDM (Korean Domestic Market) much more (O.E.M.) upscale looking.

I'd go 17's due to cheaper tires, and not liking the "rubber-band on a wheel" look that 18's with tiny sidewalls have. And, 215/55-17 would be an exact match for the speedometer if it has the size tires I think it has...

If that car has 205/70-15 tires, expect a large difference in ride and handling.

shocked2.gif

Is that a bad thing?
Thanks! If you can afford it try a set of new rims. I know it's a little off topic but cross drilled and or slotted rotors really set it off. I remember when I bought the car new back it 2003 alot of people complimented me thought it was a new Lincoln or a Lexus model and were shocked (In a good way) when I told them it was a Hyundai. Never heard anyone call it teutonic but I'll take it. Cool
thumbsup2.gif
I wanted something different not JDM but KDM (Korean Domestic Market) much more (O.E.M.) upscale looking.

They look AMG BENZY that is why I said Teutonic. They are classy. I know my Lumina will never look classy..but I must have bling..you know ADM..LOL...

Dang are you in Korea?..I just noticed the front license plate is Korean.

What do y'all think?

If you can afford it and it makes you happy, don't let any of the knuckleheads here dampen your spirits. Have some fun with it. We've got 18s on two vehicles. They look fine. Just be more careful with the sub-50 profile tires, which can be more vulnerable to sidewall issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back