Comparision of two virgin samples...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same lab, week apart, same oil.
 -

Oil variance, lab variance or perhaps both?

Thanks

Ron-Indy, Interesting. I always wondered what a margin of error is allowed while doing these tests. They are not off by much, also I purchased my Delvac on the west coast and it might be possible that oil batches vary from batch to batch from the manufacture of the product. mikeyoilnutt

Actually, IMO these are pretty good comparison numbers.

I used to be a QA manager for an environmental laboratory and control samples usually had a range of +/- 15-20% depending on the compound, the matrix (soil, water, oil, etc.) and the level (how low) at which you are testing at.

I will tell you that any laboratory worth it's weight should be doing quality control samples along side unknown samples in some sort of batch. Typical control samples are:

Laboratory Control Sample - Known sample matrix and level; Ensures that the whole process is correct.

Laboratory Duplicate - Pick a sample in a batch and test it twice. Look for repeatability.

Matrix Spike - Pick a sample in a batch after testing it, add a known amount of compound(s) to it and test it again. Looking for the effect of the matrix (oil...) on the compound(s) of interest.

Bottom line is, the laboratory should have some sort of QA program in place. In addition, usually the test methods that they are using may have some QA requirements as well.

Bill

[ January 29, 2003, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: billman ]

I would say a bit of both.

And thanks Ron for the comparison.

Consider the metering equipment at the factory that is used for blending and expect 5% variation due to that factor alone. So I would say that the lab only contributes 5% variance at the most.

The cumulative errors on all variables only adding up to 10% is not too bad at all. 5% for the Spectometry results and probably 5% for the remaining influences.

Only 1 day and I think I'm hooked already. Not only do I have my hands covered in oil all day, but I have to get more on here?????
frown.gif

Thanks for the Welcome....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back