Conversations with Blackstone on long processing times and inaccurate fuel dilution reporting.

Here are copies of my emails with Blackstone for those that are interested. I'm not buying the fuel dilution issue response. They don't really address why they are so much lower than Horizon.
Hi,>Just trying to figure out what's going on with my sample. I've been >with you guys a very long time and it seems like it's taking longer >and longer every time to process my samples after you guys receive >them. We are now up to almost 3 weeks after you guys received my >sample. That is unacceptable to me, Are you guys short staffed? I >also find it strange that according to USPS tracking, my sample >arrived at Blackstone on 10/27, but on your website it shows you >guys "unpacked" the sample on 11/6. Still no results back, I have >had to use Horizon Labs recently because you guys take way too long >to process samples. They process samples and report back within two >days of receipt and the cost is slightly cheaper. I think I may be >switching permanently to them if things don't change. When will my >sample be processed?
Good morning Steve,
We're working on building another lab, hiring more analysts, etc. Getting everything ready takes a lot of time. We've only recently (about 6 months or so) been extremely busy. We thought it was the typical seasonal change but as we're heading into winter- it still hasn't eased. We expect that we're simply getting much busier as a business and we're only about 35 employees at the moment.
Your sample is here and is getting checked in. You should see your test results via email sometime around 5-6 business days. Right now the full turnaround is about 16-18 business days. Please be sure to check your spam/junk folder as we've been having that issue occasionally. Please let us know if you have any other questions/concerns.
Thanks,The Blackstone Team
Thanks for the reply. One more question I have for you is do you have any plans on switching to the GC method to test fuel dilution or are you going to continue to use the flashpoint method? I have sent the same oil sample to both Blackstone and Horizon on a few occasions, mainly because Horizon won't do particle counts on used engine oil, and I have found Blackstone's fuel dilution numbers to be substantially lower than Horizon every time! Horizon uses the GC method to test for fuel dilution. On my 7/21/23 Subaru engine oil sample sent to both labs, you guys showed Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the business over the years, and sorry about the delayed turnaround with recent samples.

I asked our president, Ryan Stark, about your fuel dilution questions. To paraphrase, no, we do not plan on using GC for fuel dilution testing any time soon. Since they are two different methods (flashpoint and GC), it's not unusual for differences in readings to show up. We don't know what a problem level of fuel is with the GC, but if we're reporting fuel at less than 0.5%, then it's not a problem for your engines.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care,

Luke Miller
Blackstone Labs

There's a table which can be used to approximate fuel dilution based the flash point of the used oil. To determine how far off BS is with labs who use GC you'd have to split the sample. You have to do this because the flashpoint of the new oil in the sump will differ by some amount and so will the driving conditions.

Perhaps ask the author of the linked article for his opinion? [email protected]

Last edited:
This mostly lines up with their recent podcast, I posted this thread and takeaways last month. Have a read or listen.

This mostly lines up with their recent podcast, I posted this thread and takeaways last month. Have a read or listen.

Thanks for the link! I will check it out.🤙

I had a recent email exchange with "Blackstone Joe" (the voice on their podcast) in which I asked him about turnaround time and fuel dilution. Pretty much the same response as you pasted above. I also did bring up the issue many people claim here of Blackstone's viscosity results being low. This issue actually bit me twice in the past year, where I sent the same sample to both BS and Horizon (Oil Analyzers) and BS's result was close to 1cSt lower than Horizon's. Joe replied "If you're interested in forwarding those results, I'd be happy to take a look at them.". I did, along with this background info:
As for the reports, I have attached them. There is a long thread about the VOA of Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage (along with my correspondence with Pennzoil) here:https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/pennzoil-platinum-hm-5w30-voa.366276/post-6415445It took months going back and forth with them. The Batch ID (taken from the bottle I sampled from) of the sample I tested came back 9.76 cSt according to Pennzoil. Blackstone reported the oil to be at 8.92 cSt while the other lab (Oil Analyzers) came back with 9.9 cSt. It was actually Pennzoil that recommended I get the oil tested at a different lab (you'll see Pennzoil's comments in the thread I linked above). When Oil Analyzers came back with a 9.9 viscosity, I had to close my case with Pennzoil because the Blackstone viscosity was the outlier.As for the used sample, it was the oil that came out of a 2013 Volvo S80 when we bought it. I took two samples from the sump as it was draining. I sent one to Blackstone and the other to Oil Analyzers. This was Volvo dealer bulk oil according to my Carfax report. Volvo specs 5W30 grade. Blackstone reported the viscosity at 8.78 cSt while Oil Analyzers reported the same oil as 9.6 cSt.
I sent those reports to Joe on November 1 and he has not replied yet. I should probably wait 16-18 business days.

Well, the rules if economics and a free economy may prevail. I've used Blackstone many times, and recently I've noticed a long lead time. I may try Oil Analyzers next time as well, just to see.

I'm wayyyy to cheap to send in the same sample to both. Oil changes are cheap compared to sending samples in.

Back