Collapsed filter media revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:

As Fram has built millions upon millions of those crap filters for umpteen years and continues to this day. One might ask, of all those who have your engine and using Fram, why are they putting up with that knocking noise. Must be 100,000's of them out there. All of them with the Rando's engine syndrome....if only they read BITOG they'd know.

The knocking noise is in many instances considered normal by the avregae Joe.

Why,becasue the lifters are hydrolic and average Joe thinks that this is supposed to happen until oil reaches the lifters.

What average Joe and most others that are not mechanically inclined dont know is that this is not supposed to be happening.

Since 'most' dont realize that the clattering is not normal,they dont consider the oil filter to be the culprit.

These people in turn think:

1.The motor is supposed to make the noise.

2.The lifters must be stopped up,flush the engine,didnt help type of thing.

3.The engine is a piece of junk.

4.other cars do it,it must be ok.

It could most likely be stated that another reason that these people dont consider the chatter as being bad is because it has always happened.

Their buddy uses the same type of filter,their car makes noise too.They have always used this filter becaus eit is #1,states it right on the box.

The filter or variant in question is also sold at quick lube shops.

So,what we have here is a large number of filters that are being sold that most likely causes chatter.

This chatter is acceptable to Joe consumer because they dont know any better and because it seems to be the norm.

Something to do,as board members are out and about,notice the sound of many of the engines that you are around.

You will probably be surprised at the number of chattering engines you will hear.

It would probably be safe to say that most of these engines will have a Fram or variant of Fram on the car.

quote:

So what in the world does that have to do with anything?

Well, J-dubbya ...you left out Honda using Fram as OEM ...why would they do this? I know they are crap filters ...you know it too. Are the people at Honda jerks? According to you ...apparently so.

FRAMS ARE JUNK!!

Honda engineers ..in striving and succeding to build a reputation of extremely high quality for a very long life ..have decided to use "junk". How can this be??

Maybe because in even their keen vision ...it doesn't mean squat. Now l-i-s-t-e-n to the little birdie. The filters are truly junk ...I say so ..you say so ....but Honda doesn't care. What does that tell you??

Your spin (ding!)

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

So what in the world does that have to do with anything?

Well, J-dubbya ...you left out Honda using Fram as OEM ...why would they do this? I know they are crap filters ...you know it too. Are the people at Honda jerks? According to you ...apparently so.

FRAMS ARE JUNK!!

Honda engineers ..in striving and succeding to build a reputation of extremely high quality for a very long life ..have decided to use "junk". How can this be??

Maybe because in even their keen vision ...it doesn't mean squat. Now l-i-s-t-e-n to the little birdie. The filters are truly junk ...I say so ..you say so ....but Honda doesn't care. What does that tell you??

Your spin (ding!)

I wouldn't replace Honda tires with the same tires the factory put on it either. Just because it says Honda on it doen't mean everything in/on it was done in your best interest.

The only "good" thing I see with the Fram built Honda filters is that they do use a silicone ADBV. This prabably helps a little with startup noise but I am still not sure how good it seals against the warped cardboard endcap.

I think there was a question earlier in this long thread asking if I thought that the torn media we have experienced with many of the Champion filters caused engine wear, buildup in the engine etc. I have no doubt that this happened to many cars whose owners followed a longer drain interval, especially the ones tho go by the "manufacturer" drain interval of 5-7K+. One thing I did notice is that many of these cars would have very black, sludgy, burnt, oil many times with particulates accumulated on the dipstick. I will be watching closely to see if this condition improves since the filter switch.

quote:

Originally posted by lubeowner:
The only "good" thing I see with the Fram built Honda filters is that they do use a silicone ADBV. This prabably helps a little with startup noise but I am still not sure how good it seals against the warped cardboard endcap.

No friend of Fram here, but doesn't the ADBV seal against the base plate?

Labman,
The Fram adbv has a flapper that seals against the backplate, and it has a neck that filts into the cardboard end of the element..that neck is the part that may not seal the element so oil can bypass there if there is any deformation of that endcap..or the neck itself

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Well, J-dubbya ...you left out Honda using Fram as OEM ...why would they do this?

Are you sure this is true? Last time I checked (2002), the filter that came on a new Honda factory engine was made in Japan. Yes, the stealer stocks Flim-Flam...err...I'm mean Fram made OEM filters for some applications, but that's not universal either.
dunno.gif

P.S. I just thought I add that the Fram built Honda filters I've seen cut apart look more like the Extra Guard construction with about 50% more media that was more uniformly distributed than you'd find in a Fram off the shelf.

[ June 16, 2005, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

They use Fram and Filtechs (USA).

Located in Findlay, Ohio, Filtech Inc. was established in 1989 by Toyo Roki Manufacturing Co. LTD. Filtech specializes in serving the automotive industry with state-of-the-art filtration component parts and systems, such as, air cleaners, oil filters, automatic transmission filter strainers, and charcoal canisters.

..errr..and no, I don't know that it's true. It's merely the reported presence of Frams that has caused me to believe this. I don't own a Honda.

quote:

Originally posted by ZR2RANDO:
Labman,
The Fram adbv has a flapper that seals against the backplate, and it has a neck that filts into the cardboard end of the element..that neck is the part that may not seal the element so oil can bypass there if there is any deformation of that endcap..or the neck itself

That area only seals the the 2 sides of the media. When the engine is running, it may let dirty oil by the filter, but with the engine shut off, the oil can't run out of the filter and back to the crankcase without passing through the inlet holes blocked by the ADBV if it works right. The only other place it could go is out the outlet and into the oil galeries. Of course, with a well sealed bypass, it could still go through the media. Fram have enough real problems you don't need to confuse yourself with non existant ones.

A leaky bypass may explain Lubeowner's post where he says the Warners would empty in a few minutes after being removed.

Labman, you're right.

The reason I mentioned the "neck" part of the adbv was because of this...
..This prabably helps a little with startup noise but I am still not sure how good it seals against the warped cardboard endcap.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No friend of Fram here, but doesn't the ADBV seal against the base plate?

Yeah, if the flap leaks then the oil drains out of the filter...which they seem to do alot. If the neck part is defective where it meets the element then there can be an internal bypass at the element...
That's all I was saying...

I'm not making up any non-existant problems, they have plenty of legitimate ones all by themselves.

quote:

Originally posted by John W. Colby:

quote:

John W. Colby

I love your rant. And i'm sure there are a few other who probably feel as you do.

Thanks, now if you would just quit spewing garbage!
dunno.gif

If only everyone in the USA cut open their filters.

But while you say it is meaningless that Champ has the lowest amount of filters returned, how can that be meaningless? What it does mean is those that DO have a problem, are more likely to have that problem with another manufacturers filter. Doesn't it? Simple as.

Everything is simple to a simple mind.

I love how you consistently ignore (refuse to comment on) the fact that ANY manufacturer never sees the vast majority of their failures.

So you spew numbers about infinitesimally small number of failures per million produced, but we all know that in statistics, if you only sample an infinitesimally small sample of the total, your statistics are meaningless. You have to have a meaningful sample size for the statistics to be meaningful.

Since 99.99% of failures are thrown away, your statistics are meaningless.

If you got 50% of the failures back, I would be most impressed with your figures. If you got 5% of your failures back, I would be most impressed with your figures. But since you only get .001 % of your failures back (never mind .001% of ALL the filters sold), I am just speechless that you would even publish such specs.

The facts that people don't cut open their filters and throw them away is the same for all manufacturers. Of course you want to focus on but one.

I am not focusing on any single manufacturer. I am not naming names, I just using the generic term "trash filter" or "Junk". YOU are the one that assumes I am talking about a specific manufacturer when I say JUNK.

Why is that?

Is that manufacturer's low end JUNK and you are therefore just assuming I am talking about that manufacturer?

BITOG has any number of people who cut open filters. What have they found? That is the relative sample that would constitute a "poll". As they use various brands of filters. And pay various amounts for them.

And we have had some of them report problems too, which you convienently ignore. Furthermore, in the end, BITOG members only use a total of .00001% of all filters sold so to try and make any statement based on failure rates in that sample is... well... meaningless.

"Liars, ****ed liars and staticians".

Spew away, but don't expect me to be impressed.

Well i'm no good at this quote and paste like you're doing so bear with me.

" I love how you consistently ignore (refuse to comment on) the fact that ANY manufacturer never sees the vast majority of their failures. "

I think filter manufacturers see virtually ALL of their failures.
shocked.gif

But you're parsing the definition of "failure".

When an engine is trashed and needs repair and the "filter" is thought to be the culprit..it gets sent back. No, maybe not in every case but i'd bet near every case because someone is going to be out money ( serious money) if they don't send it back. And it's my experience that consumers do send filters back in this instance.

What you consider a "failure" is a filter that has something wrong with it when you cut it open. Or maybe it was never cut open and no one knows what's inside. Ok..I agree they don't get sent back. And that is for all manufacturers, i've said that before.
shocked.gif

But as with filters that have been pictured in these forums with problems ( and never sent back)..what makes them "failures"? We've had that debate. Ad naseum for some. My contention is the filter sees the conditions it is run under. Others claim anything wrong means "it's the filters fault".

So various conditions which can lead to filter "failure" is not always the filters fault is where I will always be. Until someone cuts open new filters and finds holes in media, then I will assume the filter was made correctly and therefore the conditions it is used in will determine it's fate. The same for new anti-drains not being "flexible" enough. Or new by-pass valves not working properly. As long as everything is as it should be, then i'm going to ask for data.
patriot.gif

What i'd like you and others to admit...is if an engine needs repair, regardless of age of the engine, mileage on the engine, etc filters companies do honor warranties if the filter is at fault. ( even one poster in here with high mileage, out of OEM warranty, was paid by Champ).

It could be the only one time that Brand X is used on that engine and that's the filter that gets returned because something is wrong with the engine. So take a 20 year old car..how many oil changes? How many different filter brands? But the one that gets returned is the one on the engine at the time of engine damage. And if the filter is at fault, filter companies don't ask for records of ever filter put on the engine and then only warranty a percentage based from that.

A filter sold by every manufacture can go on a new car or one 30 years old. The filter warranty is still in effect.
---------

Is that manufacturer's low end JUNK and you are therefore just assuming I am talking about that manufacturer?

As this thread is about Fram and the discussion about Fram..I am waiting for your or anyone's numbers of how many engines using Fram don't knock?

Motorguy222 adds this to the mix;
This chatter is acceptable to Joe consumer because they dont know any better and because it seems to be the norm.

Something to do,as board members are out and about,notice the sound of many of the engines that you are around.

Well when they do, be sure and document if the car is "new" or old.

But I like how someone else is now blaiming the owner as being stupid.

New vehicles, owners take them back to the dealership and complain about noise. As long as the vehicle is within the warranty, which warranties can be up to 60-100,000 miles, the dealership is most likely to have this type of complaint.

So yes, owners must be stupid if they don't take it back to the dealer and complain. And if there is a Fram ( or brand X) on there, what do you think the dealer might say?

So still I do not see any evidence that engine noises are as predominant as people claim. Nor the relationship to the filter itself.

I have admitted that one can change filters and solve the problem. That there are engines with knocking noises.

What no one in here wants to tackle, is how does the noise relate to the filter if the by-pass opens up almost instantaneously....because it senses pressure differential. There is 0 flow coming out of the filter at start up, oil enters the filter, by-pass opens up. So oil flow will still basically be what the output is from the oil pump. Can we discuss that? Instead of just blaiming filters.

I believe Rando said, and i'm sure he'll correct me if i'm wrong, he used Fram. Tried other solutions and stayed with Fram. Changed multiple Fram filters. The noise didn't go away. Whether the Fram was new or at his oil change interval. So the by-pass valve he had in his Fram first time it saw oil, until he took it off, he still had the noise. So useage of an old valve or the buna rubber anti-drain wearing out is not the issue.

Yet, he changes to a more restictive media than what is in the Fram and his problem is "solved".
Isn't that an oxymoron? Wouldn't less efficient media allow more flow?

Of course the claim is the Fram by-pass isn't "designed" well. Well if it isn't why don't all the owners of his vehicle have that same problem? As I've asked and not got a responce..did they get a better made "cheap Fram"? Were their valves somehow superior to the multiple attempts by Rando to stick with Fram? Did he somehow always end up with the black sheep of Fram by-pass valves?

Or could it be it isn't the Fram filter but his engine responds to a different filter better? Why would his engine do this..
dunno.gif

But unless those who have his engine are encountering the same problem in decent numbers, then maybe it wasn't the filter "design".

All of this is food for thought.... or not..
wink.gif

quote:

Yet, he changes to a more restictive media than what is in the Fram and his problem is "solved".
Isn't that an oxymoron? Wouldn't less efficient media allow more flow?

Of course the claim is the Fram by-pass isn't "designed" well. Well if it isn't why don't all the owners of his vehicle have that same problem? As I've asked and not got a responce..did they get a better made "cheap Fram"?
wink.gif

As for more 'restrictive' media, I have no way of verifying this from any filter, however, if there isnt oil held back in the filter because the ADBV is leaking, how can the bypass even open? Oil has to attempt to go through the filter first, no? If the filter is clogged, then the bypass opens, and oil goes on by, right? Well, if that oil is fillin' up the friggin filter FIRST, the bypass is not being used, and the rest of the engine from filter outlet on up, is not getting oil until that filter has filled.

Yes, this WAS answered before. Re-read my earlier posts.-- Because not ALL Frams are ALWAYS 'failing'. just there are a seemingly high 'unofficially' reported ones that do.

Now my question: If an engine (any type/brand) has a 'start up noise', and replacing the filter has casued this noise to stop, how do you explain this any other way? Miracles? Lies? Aliens?

Tim H:

The engine knocking sound lasts longer than 5 seconds, no?

Even if the anti-drain totally allows most of the oil out... ( the media is still saturated unless you park the car for an extended period of time)..how long do you think it takes the oil pump to fill the filter?

But even at that, oil is not coming out at start up. 0---zero--flow. So the oil finds the least resistance to flow and opens the by-pass.

As you've already mentioned a plugged filter, rare as it is but good for discussion purposes, oil still opens the by-pass.

But where you are balled up in your shorts is that you think there must be some oil flow through the media before the by-pass will ever open. Not true.

The by-pass will open up to allow flow, as the oil goes though the media at no amount or some amount of flow, then the by-pass fluctuates to keep the pressure constant. So maybe it's 100%, then 90% goes through the by-pass, then 80%, then 60--40--30- etc. until the by-pass closes and all the oil goes through the media.

The by-pass doesn't sense oil flow deep in the can. It senses lack of oil flow---at the by-pass. Again, how fast does oil enter and how fast do you think it takes an oil pump to fill a filter?

However, the complaint is that the knocking sound in the engine is under cold conditions and lasts for minutes. ( not sure if thats 2-3-5-10)
But certainly longer than it takes to fill a filter and any by-pass to open.

Now my question: If an engine (any type/brand) has a 'start up noise', and replacing the filter has casued this noise to stop, how do you explain this any other way?

I don't. I'm not an engine expert. I've said that people changing filters have stopped their engine noise.

But you tell me..what happens if it doesn't?

What happens if someone changes filters and the noise is still there? Or are you assuming that all it takes is just change filters and your problem is solved? If that was the case then every service tech would recommend that wouldn't they? Sure make their life simple. And every consumer driving around on the street today with cold start knocking noises should be notified, you've made a major breakthrough in solving their problem.

quote:

Tim H:

The engine knocking sound lasts longer than 5 seconds, no?

In my case, no.

quote:

Even if the anti-drain totally allows most of the oil out... ( the media is still saturated unless you park the car for an extended period of time)..how long do you think it takes the oil pump to fill the filter??

About 5 seconds.

quote:

But even at that, oil is not coming out at start up. 0---zero--flow. So the oil finds the least resistance to flow and opens the by-pass.

Are you saying all oil bypasses filter on cold start?

quote:

As you've already mentioned a plugged filter, rare as it is but good for discussion purposes, oil still opens the by-pass..

In this case, for discussion, yes, I agree.

quote:

But where you are balled up in your shorts is that you think there must be some oil flow through the media before the by-pass will ever open. Not true...

True.... try and put on a dry filter assy, then start it up. The oil light will take Longer to go out than if it was filled. This alone indicates oil goes THROUGH the filter before attempting to bypass -- then only bypassing IF pressure is greater than flow. No Balled up Shorts There..

quote:

However, the complaint is that the knocking sound in the engine is under cold conditions and lasts for minutes. ( not sure if thats 2-3-5-10)
But certainly longer than it takes to fill a filter and any by-pass to open.

The complaints for faulty ADBV's are not 2-3-4-5 or so minutes. That is a completely different problem. In most of these Fram cases that I am aeware of, is only that 5 second "rrraapp" sound of the rods until that filter fills up and the system finally builds pressure.

Again, 5 seconds.

quote:

Now my question: If an engine (any type/brand) has a 'start up noise', and replacing the filter has casued this noise to stop, how do you explain this any other way?

I don't. I'm not an engine expert. I've said that people changing filters have stopped their engine noise..

And argued that those people had faulty engines, overextended OCI's and that if all those filters were causing this to happen, why were they not recalled.

quote:

But you tell me..what happens if it doesn't
What happens if someone changes filters and the noise is still there?

If it does not, you investigate further, at the same time not running around saying it is a filter fault...

quote:

Or are you assuming that all it takes is just change filters and your problem is solved?

No, I am assuming that in certain circumstances, using certain filters that yes, just changing filters HAS solved the problem. I think you know this already though. Why do you continue to ask this question?

True, XS650 ...but I'm sure that there are millions of units out there that have done just that.

Again, I think they're junk. I'm only saying that others obviously don't consider it an issue of importance.

We do ...probably more due to having the need for everything to operate in the manner that it is designed ..and the task that it is supposed to perform. We see defective or inferior performance or function ...we don't tolerate it.

To the limits that some filters are failure prone (or not) ...and some filters are of poorer construction ....I agree with all of you. There is, however, a massive amount of inferential evidence that our concerns are more along the lines of some type of OCD.

I too suffer from the affliction.

Tim H:

I don't know if you're arguing just to argue or what.

If you go back to page 3, this is what Rando said:
The Fram startup noise I have repeatedly talked about was NOT caused by just a draining adbv. A filter that drains out due to a non-functional adbv will potentially have a couple moments of noise as the filters fills back up, that is all. I don’t even hear any startup noise in my trucks now when I do my oil changes..and the oil system was completely drained when I do that. The startup noise that I have spoken of, and read about, and witnessed, and done away with by using other filter brands, is the valvetrain rattle that persists until the oil warms up, and thins enough to flow sufficiently through that filter. I’m talking about several minutes, not just a couple seconds.

Several minutes...long after it takes time for the filter to fill with oil, even a dry filter.

Now if your noise only last 5 seconds, more power to you if you solved the problem by switching filters.

So if the noise is lasting minutes, the by-pass has opened and allowed the oil pump flow downstream. If the by-pass does not open and you have "cold" oil, potentially thick oil in winter, you'll likely to get a collapsed element as the oil HAS to get through and the by-pass won't allow it.

As far as the Honda/Fram thing goes, who says the engineers had any say in the purchase of Frams? Probably done by accountants, or purchasing dept, with assurance by Fram that it meets Honda specs.

I have an Odyssey, and the filter is low on the engine. In this case I don't think the ADBV makes any difference, because it is below the oil level. Might be wrong, should take another look at it....
John

quote:

My contention is the filter sees the conditions it is run under. Others claim anything wrong means "it's the filters fault".

So various conditions which can lead to filter "failure" is not always the filters fault is where I will always be. Until someone cuts open new filters and finds holes in media, then I will assume the filter was made correctly and therefore the conditions it is used in will determine it's fate. As long as everything is as it should be, then i'm going to ask for data.
patriot.gif

Now this is truly a non-rhetorical statement that probably articulates your position most effectively. Others, including myself to a degree, can extend our exceptions to how we determine our idea of "junk" or "quality" ..but that sorta nails your disposition on it.

From your position (if I may be so assuming), if I use ST's ...and haven't seen a problem..then I will probably never see a problem. OTOH, someone who has seen problems with a ST filter ...may expect to see problems with ST filters. It may, or may not, be vehicle specific. It may, or may not, be climate specific. It may, or may not, be OCI specific ...but some combo of their use causes this to happen ...while for many others ..it does not.

Is that about it??
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back