CO Mid-Air Collision

I've watched takeoffs before. Most of the time I saw that takeoffs were simultaneous. I guess it's not as dangerous because each pair is supposed to turn to a different direction. I've even watched as we "raced" the plane on the other parallel runway.

I suppose landings are a little bit harder to time to be simultaneous, but there are some that are pretty close.

I remember several years ago sitting at a gate at Terminal 3 in Manila watching the takeoffs on the shorter crossing runway they have there. One plane would take off in one direction and a minute or so later a plane would take off in the other direction.

Apparently they were testing a new routine to try and shorten delays. I assume wind direction was not a issue for that runway. It was interesting to watch.

Our flight took off from the other runway so we had about a 45 minute or so wait in line before takeoff.

I remember several years ago sitting at a gate at Terminal 3 in Manila watching the takeoffs on the shorter crossing runway they have there. One plane would take off in one direction and a minute or so later a plane would take off in the other direction.

Apparently they were testing a new routine to try and shorten delays. I assume wind direction was not a issue for that runway. It was interesting to watch.

Our flight took off from the other runway so we had about a 45 minute or so wait in line before takeoff.

Depends on the plane. Ideally I suppose they prefer taking off into the wind, but it probably doesn't matter if the runway is long enough.

Depends on the plane. Ideally I suppose they prefer taking off into the wind, but it probably doesn't matter if the runway is long enough.
10 knot tailwind limitation on most airliners. You're correct though with a long enough runway a plane could take off with a stout tailwind. Wouldn't be legal nor necessarily safe.

In the Manila example the wind was likely either calm or not giving either runway a tailwind.

10 knot tailwind limitation on most airliners. You're correct though with a long enough runway a plane could take off with a stout tailwind. Wouldn't be legal nor necessarily safe.

In the Manila example the wind was likely either calm or not giving either runway a tailwind.

I was at an air show at Travis Air Force Base. I mean - it was windy (about 40 MPH peak gusts) and I asked someone (forgot who) if that presented a safety hazard with stunt and formation flying (USAF Thunderbirds). He said it wasn't even a particularly windy day for the base. Of course that was the same air show where Eddie Andreini died, but we were there the first day and his accident was on the second day.

I was at an air show at Travis Air Force Base. I mean - it was windy (about 40 MPH peak gusts) and I asked someone (forgot who) if that presented a safety hazard with stunt and formation flying (USAF Thunderbirds). He said it wasn't even a particularly windy day for the base. Of course that was the same air show where Eddie Andreini died, but we were there the first day and his accident was on the second day.

Yeah, once in the air, you move with it. Compare with launching a canoe into a quick flowing river....

Do all the tail controls run through the floor? (I thought they typically ran through the ceiling). Can't believe he maintained enough control to land it.

Back