Cleaning spin-on before use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone besides myself found themselves cleaning the thread area of what appears to be glue/metal slivers? Using the shop vac for a few seconds takes care of this. Having taken apart some new filters, the rest of the construction appears clean, so it just appears to be localized in this area.

I'm not going to be brand specific as this is only something relatively new that I have been taking the time to notice.

Take care.

Haven't had any problems with NAPA Gold or ProSelect, AAP Total Grips/Purolator Premium Plus, or the Toyo Roki/Honda Filters for my Honda GL1800.

That's the filters I've used for the past year+. No issues with any of them.

I have seen what you're talking about in the past on friend's cars who bought whatever oil filter was on sale in whatever store they were in. Never seen it with a Wix or Baldwin, though.

I just purchased a Napa Gold #1068 and it has metal shavings around the mounting thread. Many of my Motorcraft oil filters also had metal shavings in the mounting threads. I just use a disposable Scott shop towel wet with clean oil and wipe the threads clean of the metal shavings.

Whimsey

I was just wondering as for how frequent this might be, and if so and people still turn in great UOA's, than...Interesting.

I was checking out the spring tension and clearance spec.s for my engine - 150.lbs intake and 61.lbs exhaust (3/2 respectively per cylinder. The clearance for the main bearings is .001-.002" - that on the calipers is but a narrow gap. For some reason I didn't "get" how tight things are even though I have been fascinated with engines for a good part of my life. And 30wts is just about all that's spec'ed unless for sustained towing/mountainous driving.

Take care.

Quote:

I have seen what you're talking about in the past on friend's cars who bought whatever oil filter was on sale in whatever store they were in. Never seen it with a Wix or Baldwin, though.

I use mostly Wix filters. I have seen it on them. Take a paper towel and rub on the treads. You will see it on most filters.
twocents.gif

Agreed. Have had problems with Purolators with shavings on the threads (do a search). I know just hack a luggy in a paper towel and wipe the threads prior to installation.

I saw a couple of flakes on the threads of a wix filter I installed last month but none on a wix that I installed yesterday. A damp paper towel soaks the flakes right up.

I see shavings on the threads of almost every filter I've ever purchased. I usually just wipe them off with my finger. I find that if I use a towel to try to wipe them off, it gets the towel's fibers on the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back