Cleaning a PCV valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

$20 at the dealer, and I have to bring proof of ownership of the car before they will sell it to me. #@$%!?

Quote:

$20 at the dealer, and I have to bring proof of ownership of the car before they will sell it to me. #@$%!?

go to a different dealer! that's nuts.

How dirty could a 2 year PCV be?
Just wait until you've got 5 years on this mazda and they'll be $3-4 aftermarket's to buy. Does the valve actual not work?

Proof one owns the car. THAT'S a new one for me. It's been my experience the dealerships love to have JQ Public come in and buy their overpriced parts. I only buy plugs and plug wires from the dealer. Everything else from parts store the shop I go to deals with when it's stuff I cannot do myself. Sorry for the following rant, but here it goes: I always hated the "reminders" the nitwits sent all the time saying "Your overpriced underpowered pos we bent you over for is due for another servicing. While we stand around and don't find anything you told us about was wrong (yet will come back on you in 13 miles) wait in comfort in the waiting area near the big overhead loading door. Then when we are done we will thus bend you over again
spankme.gif
and tell you we found this wrong totally false, and charge you for that without ever having dealt with the original problem." I ended up demanding they take my name off the automatic mailings list. Needless to say I don't frequent that dealership any longer.
tongue.gif
crushedcar.gif

cleaned mine from my explorer with steaming hot water and then added some 5w-30 to the seal, since it was made out of plastic. I did not want to spray some kind of cleaner that would damage it. It does not rattle at all. The cheapo one that pep boys gave me rattled. turns out I blew into both of them and my stock one was working fine. pepboys one couldn't hold a seal, so I put old one back in.

I bought the Purolator PCV valve for the Impala at Advance. It certainly needed the original replaced. Our '00 Cavalier does not even have a PCV, unlike all my other cars did, even my '86 cavalier.
confused.gif

Quote:

How dirty could a 2 year PCV be?
Just wait until you've got 5 years on this mazda and they'll be $3-4 aftermarket's to buy. Does the valve actual not work?

2 year PCV?
all i see is he has a 1995 Wagon!

That's hilarious. They must've had a rash of miscreants fixing parts on stranger's cars without the owners knowing about it, and the dealers are trying to put a stop to it!
crackmeup.gif

What if you simply want to buy it for your go-cart?

Yeah, this is Japan. Everyplace called required the same stuff. PCV valve looks to be specific to this vehicle. If I stay here long term I'm gonna have to buy an American Car and have the part shipped to me, this is ridiculous.

You guys should be happy with your $2 gas and $20 inspections. We're closer to $4 a gallon and inspection starts at $800 up to $2000. It's why I dumped my first car.

Last edited:
Ford dealers in the USA can get parts for European Ford vehicles if you have the part number, I wonder if a Mazda dealer in the USA could get the part with that number?

Ford in the US requires proof of ownership for certain parts. if you have a 96 Mystic Cobra or a 2004 Mystichrome Cobra you must prove ownership before you are sold paint. also a proof of ownership is required for a lot of the parts off of 2000 Mustang Cobra R's. its pretty easy for them since only 300 were made.

I wonder if you could take out the innards of the current PCV valve, attach up a length of hose to it, and then use an alternate PCV valve that is easy to get replacements...

I cannot imagine that there is a huge difference between different PCV valves - if so, besides threaded vs press on, right ange vs straight through and possibly spring compression strength, how much different could they be???

JMH

Quote:

I wonder if you could take out the innards of the current PCV valve, attach up a length of hose to it, and then use an alternate PCV valve that is easy to get replacements...

Good thinking, but PCV valves have a set flow metering to them. Basically they are just a flow metered check valve spec'd for you vehicle. You should be able to suck air thru it from the vac side, but not blow air back through (should seal off). For a quality OEM valve, I just clean them out with carb/intake cleaner and reinstall.

Joel

It soaked in Berryman for a few days. The Berryman was black when I was finished. I am just trying to be a mechanic in a country where it's not legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back