CJ-4 Rotella 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Yamaha Grizzly 660 that is now due for its first oil change. I have read on many places that Rotella is being used by many. The only problem is the current 5w-40(1.47%) does not meet the JASO standard (1.2%) for sulfated ash . The new CJ-4 is supposed to be at 1.0%. Should I wait on the new stuff or just go ahead and use the CI-4 for now? Shell advised me the CJ-4 Rotella Synthetic would be available sometime in Jan. 08.

Thanks,
Todd

Ash seems to be more important to 2 cycle engines.
Four cycle engines seem to love Rotella. For one oil change, try it. By the time the next oil change comes up, the newer version should be available.
My 2¢

I've used Rotella Syn 5W-40 in my Kodiak 450 for some time now. Seems to work just fine, but admitedly that's a rather nebulous statement without any hard data behind it. FWIW, some people think the CI-4+ spec is "better" than the new CJ-4, since there's less Zinc and Phosphorus in the CJ-4 oil. I'm not smart enough to tell you if that is the case - smarter people than me argue about.

Incidentally, I just went to check my supply of 3(?) year-old Rotella 5W-40, and it's actually rated "CH-4/SL". I'm guessing that CH-4 was the precursor to CI-4, and I'll probably skip right to CJ-4 by the time I need some more (assuming CK-4 isn't out by then!).

The difference between those oils sulfated ash numbers is not going to effect the performance or longevity of that engine one bit.

I'd worry more about trying to keep the air clean, and changing the oil more often than recommended. Unless of course the ATV is used in parades.

Originally Posted By: gmctodd
Shell advised me the CJ-4 Rotella Synthetic would be available sometime in Jan. 08.

I'll believe that when I see it. They've been suggesting availability of CJ-4 synthetic for several months now.

21.gif
, cause the owner's manual says to. I don't know that much about it, but based on these responses, the Jaso standard isn't that big of a deal to most people. Thanks for the input.

Todd

Yeah well I (and many others) have run that Rotella in everything from lawnmowers to pickup trucks.

2007 Honda Gold Wing
2007 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Yamaha FZ6
2005 Triumph SpeedMaster
2005 Yamaha RoadStar Warrior
2000 Yamaha YZF-R6
2000 LawnBoy (Honda engine) Trim mower
1992 Honda Harmony Riding Lawnmower
1998 Dodge 1-ton diesel

Primary chaincase on all my Harleys.

....and the list goes on.

Have sent in a bunch of samples for analysis. Well pleased with the results.

Get some.

JASO really isn't much of an assurance that the oil has integrity.
It does certify that the fluids frictional characteristics are acceptable to wet clutch requirements, but there are probably a cornucopia of non-JASO certified oils that could fit that bill.

In my estimation, the majority of JASO certified oils are nothing more than pre-packaged API grade SG-SJ PCMO's that had the frictional tests run.
Plus a motorcycle printed on the bottle, and a two-figure price set.

I stopped by my local Wal-Mart to see if the new CJ-4 Rotella 5W-40 was available. It wasn't ... but what I did notice was that the supply of the older CI-4+ 5W-40 was gone. They had plenty of the Triple Protection 15W-40 conventional, but the shelves were bare of the 5W-40 CI-4+.

I wonder if this is a sign that the new CJ-4 5W-40 is being loaded into the supply pipeline?

I was by the local Wally World yesterday. No 5w40 on the shelf. Plenty of 15w40..... in quarts, 5-quart containers, 2.5 gallon containers, and 5 gallon buckets. $8.97 for the 5-quart container. Interesting thing - after a little math figuring I found that the quart price was cheapest if you purchase the 5-quart container. Would have thought that 5-gallon bucket would be cheaper. Not.

Does Rotella come in a 5 quart size? I know most passenger car oils do but it seems that most HDEO's re coming in 4 quart(one gallon) bottles. My Wallyworld is fully stocked with RTS and it is not CJ4.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
Originally Posted By: kgb007stb
1+ here as of last weekend.

What was there? The new CJ-4 synthetic or the older CI-4+ synthetic?

Just as you described, empty shelves!

I haven't looked at the local Wally Worlds supply of Rotella T 5w-40 recently, I guess I'll take a look next time I'm out there.

When in Sam's Club today @ Gastonia, NC, they had Rotella T 5W40 for $44.46 for three one gallon jugs. Since I use Rotella T 15W40 in my bikes I did not buy any. $3.71 per quart is a good price for Rotella T 5W40. I did not notice if it was CJ-4 or CI-4. The best price I have found on Rotella T 15W40 is $8.56 per gallon @ WalMart, Mooresville, NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back