Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 Now SN Rated

This thread is about Shell Rotella getting the SN rating not Amsoil. If you don't know API specifications then I'd suggest you start here under the gasoline tab.
https://www.api.org/products-and-se...d-classifications/oil-categories#tab-gasoline

All diesel oil is looking to be SN rated
This thread is about Shell Rotella getting the SN rating not Amsoil. If you don't know API specifications then I'd suggest you start here under the gasoline tab.
https://www.api.org/products-and-se...d-classifications/oil-categories#tab-gasoline

The SN rating appearing on the label on the back of diesel oil seems to be a new thing not affecting just rotella.

Think it was SN Plus where they got serious over LSPI - seems most things should be able to hit that when even this is SP …

IMG_9402.jpeg

Think it was SN Plus where they got serious over LSPI - seems most things should be able to hit that when even this is SP …

View attachment 187859
It's harder to compare a 30 grade gasoline only SP rated oil to diesel CK-4. That's not entirely fair. There are different rules & it is different specification & manufacturer's requirements of the oil. Eventually we may start seeing more CK-4/SP but until then there is a lot of older diesel's out there that would suffer & or not meet current or prior specifications.

It's harder to compare a 30 grade gasoline only SP rated oil to diesel CK-4. That's not entirely fair. There are different rules & it is different specification & manufacturer's requirements of the oil. Eventually we may start seeing more CK-4/SP but until then there is a lot of older diesel's out there that would suffer & or not meet current or prior specifications.
IMG_1741.jpg

They are meeting plenty of specification here but their are some missing. One that's glaringly apparent to me is the Ford F1 specification that requires 1000 ppm phos. which this oil does not meet.
So if you don’t own that Ford* vehicle - fleet companies with diesels and 3500 GMC vans won’t care … Delvac already “recommends“ for SP use - so bet they are getting closer and mainly work with GM …
*this was an easy grab - it’s been ground on like a bad weld here

So if you don’t own that Ford* vehicle - fleet companies with diesels and 3500 GMC vans won’t care … Delvac already “recommends“ for SP use - so bet they are getting closer and mainly work with GM …
*this was an easy grab - it’s been ground on like a bad weld here
That's right, It's a process over time though as newer equipment allows for those modern oils. However, That ford spec may not mean much to you but it does to us ford owners to meet engine oil warranty requirements. If an oil oem specification didn't mean anything then where does it end? Obviously, you're not going to use a 10w-30 SP gasoline only oil in your diesel truck as an example. Oil specification's mean something no matter how much one tries to discredit them.

Add in the fact that Ford was trying to remedy a valve train wear issue when CK-4 oils rolled out so who would not want to opt for better protection by buying the Ford Spec'd oil in a Power Stroke?

Can you point to where Delvac "recommends" SP in diesel applications? The ones I see do not recommend SP.

Last edited:
That's right, It's a process over time though as newer equipment allows for those modern oils. However, That ford spec may not mean much to you but it does to us ford owners to meet engine oil warranty requirements. If an oil oem specification didn't mean anything then where does it end? Obviously, you're not going to use a 10w-30 SP gasoline only oil in your diesel truck as an example. Oil specification's mean something no matter how much one tries to discredit them.

Add in the fact that Ford was trying to remedy a valve train wear issue when CK-4 oils rolled out so who would not want to opt for better protection by buying the Ford Spec'd oil in a Power Stroke?

Can you point to where Delvac "recommends" SP in diesel applications? The ones I see do not recommend SP.
Seems to be a Ford thing their owners can deal with - *Mobil Delvac is tight with GM … Valvoline is tight with Cummins …
*makes CAT oil too …
On the Delvac 1300 write up …

Seems to be a Ford thing their owners can deal with - *Mobil Delvac is tight with GM … Valvoline is tight with Cummins …
*makes CAT oil too …
Recommended - not sure I would …

IMG_1742.jpg

*makes CAT oil too …
For some reason I keep thinking Delo & GM are friends...IDK. But GM does source their other oils from Mobil so why not their for their Duramax & others. Delvac 1300 does have low levels of Phos & Zinc. & I now do see that they recommend SP. I will update the diesel oil spreadsheet now to SP. Thanks!

For some reason I keep thinking Delo & GM are friends...IDK. But GM does source their other oils from Mobil so why not their for their Duramax & others. Delvac 1300 does have low levels of Phos & Zinc. & I now do see that they recommend SP. I will update the diesel oil spreadsheet now to SP. Thanks!
Delvac 1300 is now EHC based and was FF in lots of DMax’s

Back