Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 Now SN Rated

Went to Walmart over the weekend and noticed updated graphics/text on the Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 containers. Upon looking at the back, I noticed that the oil is now rated SN (gasoline). Previously for the past few years it had only been rated CK-4 (diesel). I couldn't find anything online related to it. Has the forumla changed to now be certified API SN?
IMG_2527.jpeg
IMG_2526.jpeg

Last edited:
Went to Walmart over the weekend and noticed updated graphics/text on the Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 containers. Upon looking at the back, I noticed that the oil is now rated SN (gasoline). Previously for the past few years it had only been rated CK-4 (diesel). I couldn't find anything online related to it. Has the forumla changed to now be certified API SN?
View attachment 172800View attachment 172801
Interesting, the API donut doesn’t show SN🤔🤔🤔. Just CK-4

Different front text also, and a QR code. "Reduced Engine maintenance" vs "triple protection." I picked up 10 singles at AAP the past few weeks. back for reference, no SN, date of June 2022, April 2023.

1692041120208.png

Likely not, and i have seen this updated bottle in my wm last month but i didn't bother to check for any difference. SN rated oils had no additive restriction. SN plus was the beginning of lspi friendly formulations and SP is a continuation.

Please correct me if I'm wrong... but aren't W-40 oils exempt from API ZDDP limits? If so, is that the reason Shell is claiming SN? After all, T6 claimed JASO MA until recently. Off topic...
I ride a Honda VTX 1800 and my clutch never slipped with T6. If anything would slip a clutch.... that torque monster sure would.

Folks, I believe this is a new devolopment & is real. This T4 appears to now be rated for Gasoline SN. As a matter of fact the pdf spec sheet shows that it was just updated yesterday 08/15/2023. 40 grades had some easy approvals for SN & I would say a lot of the oil companies went with the Dual rating except Shell's CK-4 roll out but it appears they are changing their minds now.

Folks, I believe this is a new devolopment & is real. This T4 appears to now be rated for Gasoline SN. As a matter of fact the pdf spec sheet shows that it was just updated yesterday 08/15/2023. 40 grades had some easy approvals for SN & I would say a lot of the oil companies went with the Dual rating except Shell's CK-4 roll out but it appears they are changing their minds now.

Either stock up on the old T4 that does not have the SN Rating, or say goodbye to Shell Rotella and find another oil.

Either stock up on the old T4 that does not have the SN Rating, or say goodbye to Shell Rotella and find another oil.
It's just not an issue with Xw-40 grade. Now the Xw-30's do have more limitations & add pack will need to be lowered on certain additives to get the SN. If we see the SN rating on the 30's & knowing shell's current add packs they'll need to lower them on those grades to get the SN. We'll see how far this new change goes but my speculation is that they will rate the 30's too for SN & We just don't know about their T5 & T6 lines but it sure does get me curious of the changes happening.

. Current gallons of 10w30 made July 2023 and 15w40 made late July 2023 don’t have SN on gallon. 🤔🤔🤔

. Current gallons of 10w30 made July 2023 and 15w40 made late July 2023 don’t have SN on gallon. 🤔🤔🤔
Right, That makes sense. This was updated 2 days ago so it will take some time to cycle the old stock. Just give it some time but keep an eye out. As this picture shows they are starting to hit the shelves. This picture is showing their newest (Updated) bottle too. It's here my friend get ready.

Right, That makes sense. This was updated 2 days ago so it will take some time to cycle the old stock. Just give it some time but keep an eye out. As this picture shows they are starting to hit the shelves. This picture is showing their newest (Updated) bottle too. It's here my friend get ready.
I thought rotella went way of CK-4 and no dual rating. Guess I’m wrong. Interesting things happening. Least we know DELO is dual rated.

Back