Chrysler MS-6395 for 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2005 Grand Caravan 3.8L owners manual specifies 5W-20 (specifically that viscosity) with both MS-6395 and API Certification. It is the MS-6395 rating that is hard to find for the 5W-20 but it does occasionally show up for heavier viscosity oils. I really want to use Mobil 1 synthetic but they do not have a 5W-20. Mobil's 0W-20 does pass the Ford and Honda specs but no mention of the Chrysler MS-6395. I have found a number of brands that call out the Chrysler MS-6395 but only for 5W-30 or 10W-30. Amsoil 5W-20 is one example where the Chrysler spec is only called out for the higher viscosity oils, but suspiciously absent for the 5W-20. What does the MS-6395 spec require and is there a 5W-20 synthetic that meets it?

Yup, you're correct. Finding an MS-6395 compliant 5w-20 oil is tough, whether dino or synthetic. But per their spec sheets, Chevron Supreme 5w-20 and Havoline 5w-20 (conventional oils) both comply with Chrysler MS-6395-H. If your manual doesn't indicate a suffix ("H" or otherwise), I'd suggest that Chevron-Texaco's spec is close enough, especially if that oil is good enough for both 5w-20 Fords and Hondas.

Other than warranty compliance (not that they'd necessarily know what you're using), it would be of little or no consequence to opt for a 5w-30. Kendall GT-1 Synthetic 5w-30 complies with MS-6395-H and MS-6395-L.

Lastly, although I'm not sure what MS-6395 is all about, I have trouble imagining how ANY name brand synthetic oil of a proper weight wouldn't suffice for that engine, regardless of specs. For a Porsche, Viper, Cummins diesel, etc. (something out of the ordinary), I'd probably be more concerned about spec compliance.

All Conoco brands have a primaily synthetic base (Group III or IV) that would be Philips 66, Toopartic, Conoco and I forget the other one). That's a good suggestion Motorbike.
patriot.gif

TC reminded me-its Kendall

My van rolled off the transport truck a week ago. The manual says 5W-20 and the fill cap says 5W-20.

5w30 and 5w20 in two different vans of the same year..... sounds like a typical D.C. change over. I bet the minivan with the 5w30 spec is using a carryover 2004 engine. There is no improvement in the 3.8L engine that I know of. Maybe CAFE got on them so they made it required, that and the new Hemi takes it so it makes sense for them to buy a large amount of oil (lots of minivans) in that flavor.

The thing I find strange is the that 3.3 and 3.8 engines (same engine one has a bigger bore)are some of the oldest engines that they sell. According to Allpar.com these engines as the last from the Lee Iacocca area. This is an overhead-valve design engine. Does ford or honda have any overhead-valve engines?

On a side note, my wife loves the van. I would tell her about the oil thing but she might have me taken away and put in a "nice" place.

"Isn't Motorcraft also Conoco?" Yes, Motorcraft is simply Conoco HydroClear in a different bottle. Another Conoco brand is Union 76, primarily a west coast thing.

So am I correct in that technically the ONLY "approved" oil for these 5w-20 Mopars is Chevron Supreme/Havoline?

Phillip 66 5W20 only has a HTHS of 2.6!!! Does this bother anyone else? To me that would be like mountain climbing with 550/Para cord! Sure if everything goes perfectly you might be able to do this without a problem. The problem to me is that it leaves you no room for error. The TBN is also low at 8.2.

quote:

Originally posted by csp203:
Does ford or honda have any overhead-valve engines?

Yes. The outgoing Windstar has a 3.8L "essex" V6 which was basically a Ford 5.0L v8 minus 2 cyl. The Freestar now has a 3.9L and 4.2L OHV engines. Both have good horsepower ratings (193 and 201) and torque that none of the minivans can compete with. The 3.9L and the old 3.8L engine both made 240lbs of torque... that's more than the 4.0L in my Jeep. The 4.2L V6 makes 263lbs of torque.

Only reason I know this.... dad was looking at a Freestar to replace the Windstar.

Hondas use OHCs and VTEC to make power.

I called the local Dodge dealer and he says they stock quarts of Mopar 5W-20. Any ideas where I can get some info on it or who is filling the bottle?

Suppose Chrysler/Dodge will back spec other vehicles to start using 5W20 like Ford did? I asked about using 5W20 on here awhile back in a vehicle not currently recomended to use it and it was about half for and half against.

I did buy a quart of the Mopar 5W-20 and it meets the MS-6395 requirements. No mention of it being a blend. I am still trying to understand why the MS-6395 approval is rarely listed for 5W-20 oils. Like I said earlier, MS-6395 is listed for some thicker oils but the same brand 5W-20 is missing the MS-6395 approval. I am starting to believe that the Chrysler MS-6395 requirements may be more stringent than the Ford or Honda 5W-20 requirements.

The ms-6395 is basically API approval rating. The kendal oil is listed as 6395-L and 6395 -M (API SL and SM....) there is nothing special about 6395. I have found that most companies don't even list it. Penzoil did not have it listed last year, I emailed them and they verified that they met this spec. I believe that ford is the one leading the big push for better oil.

quote:

Oil companies are in the business of selling oil and when a market is created guess what .

When the 20wt engines get many miles on them I think we will see more oil burners than engines with the rods kicked out of them .

Motorbike, man you are full of surprises. I respectfully have to disagree....I don't believe you cause if I did then I'd have to drop the oil out of all my vehicles
rolleyes.gif
Yes ht/hs on 5w20 is only around 2.6, but I don't think it drops much in its useful life (about 5k miles). So we will see, my civic has 50k on it...still runs like when I bought it..in fact its finally starting to break in
grin.gif
nothing but 5w20 for diet.
regards,

r.

If you got 2% gas in your oil, You either need to get out more or do more maintenance
grin.gif
Seriously, I see your point, but real world I would prefer to run the 20wt (mileage, throttle response...ect). Otherwise I will start getting into that "buy an SUV cause its safer in case you wreck mentality"... I maintain my cars fairly well, and have not had a problem so far with the 20wt. I'll check back with you when I hit 100k, at the rate I'm going that should be sometime next year
rolleyes.gif
. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread....

I still am convinced that the MS-6395 spec has some rigorous requirements that are tougher than the Ford and Honda specs. If the Mopar oil is made by Mobil Oil, then what Mobil product is it equal to? I just wish Mobil 1 came in a 5W-20 with the Chrysler spec listed. Here is a Jeep TSB that I found on the web. It matches up with my owners manual and really stresses the importance of the MS-6395 requirements.

Jeep TSB
09-013-04 GASOLINE ENGINE OIL QUALITY AND VISCOSITY GRADES
Date: 08/06/04

Model year(s): 2005

Description: NOTE: This information applies to U.S. and Canada markets only. This bulletin involves the engine oil to be used to service Chrysler Group gasoline engines. This symbol, found on the front of the container, means that the oil quality has been certified by the American Petroleum Institute.

Details: Only use API Certified engine oils that meet the requirements of Chrysler's Material Standard MS-6395. MS-6395 contains requirements, not addressed by API Certification, that provide additional protection for Chrysler Group engines. All Chrysler Group gasoline engines, irrespective of model year, should be serviced with API Certified engine oils meeting MS-6395. Chrysler Group Engines are developed, certified and filled with engine oil of the designated viscosity grade, meeting MS-6395, and should be serviced with the correct viscosity grade engine oil.

The following table contains the correct viscosity grades for the 2005 model year.

3.7L 5W40
4.7L 5W40
5.7L 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back