Chrysler 4.0 takes 10W-30; why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's notable when a company still specifies any xW-30 these days, especially when most of their other engines are running on xW-20. In the case of the Chrysler 3.5L/4.0L, it'd take a lot for me to deviate away from the recommended 10W-30. It'd be REAL easy for Chrysler to specify a 5W-30 for that engine. Unlike some 0W-xx oils, 5W-30 is readily available and nothing exotic. It's available in both conventional and synthetic.

But yet Chysler recommends a 10W-30. There's got to be a reason for that. We've speculated about what that is, and yeah, I'm sure a high quality synthetic 5W-30 would be fine. There's just something about me that can't get passed that 10W specification.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
In my humble opinion because it doesnt need to run 5w20 to meet cafe standards. 10w30 is hardly unique and contrary to popular belief, just about all the quick lubes and dealerships put in 10w30 regardless of the manufactures reccomendations. I have heard this from just about everyone in management positions and it makes perfect sense if you check the prices of bulk oil, 10w30 is considerably cheaper than all the other grades because it is basically a one shoe fits all for most vehicles, new and old. My Dodge dealer told me they put 10w30 in all the Hemi's which are speced for 5w20. They claim it doesnt matter because we live in Florida and the temps arent a problem. My buddy in PA, bought a service package and they also told him they run 10w30 in thier Dodge dealership and havent been having any problems. Id be surprised if they even had a bulk tank with 5w20 in it. Ford may be the only one using 5w20 because Motorcraft is so popular, but even that is questionable because of the price it all comes down to the bottom line and 10w30 is cheaper by bulk.

That may hold more true where you live due to climate, but at the dealer quick lube I use each use is labeled and they use what the car calls for unless the customer asks otherwise.

Originally Posted By: cbear
The 4.0 V6 is a stroked 3.5, which I believe 10w-30 is recommended for all applications.

That is correct. The 4.0 is derived from the 3.5.

The 3.5 in my 99 300M spec'd 10w30. The 3.5 in my 2007 300 spec'd 10w30.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: cbear
The 4.0 V6 is a stroked 3.5, which I believe 10w-30 is recommended for all applications.

That is correct. The 4.0 is derived from the 3.5.

The 3.5 in my 99 300M spec'd 10w30. The 3.5 in my 2007 300 spec'd 10w30.

If it's stroked, totally makes sense. increased pressures on the cylinder walls, increased shearing potential, increased need for stable boundary lubrication.

I like the 3.5. It's a fun engine in its own right. That 4.0 must have a really good torque feel to it. Stick with 10-30 is my opinion.

M

I'd wager that no-one was paying attention to oil technology or capability at Chrysler.

Any required spec's to the 10w30? SA? GF2?

Blind 10w30 requirement is foolish.

As per my Nitro manual
3.7L Engine (Iron block motor debuted in 2002)
"SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures...."

4.0L Engine (All aluminum debuting in 2007)
"SAE 10W-30 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures..."

"Lubricants which do not have both, the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade number should not be used." (Earlier it states all oils should have the certified by API sunburst.)

Originally Posted By: marc78
I just purchased a 2010 caravan with the 4L, I couldn't beleive the oil cap called for 10W30. I assume manufacturers don't use break in oil any more, so before leaving the dealership I purchased a filter, stopped at Wal-Mart got some Penzoil 5W30 and changed the oil before the odometer hit 60 miles.I live where temperatures are ofter -30C and don't beleive the 10W30 would offer the protection I need on start up. Once I hit 5000 miles I will switch to Mobil 0W40 just like I did in my F 150 that calls for 5W20.

Where in Northern Alberta are you? You could also go with XD3 0w-30 as it is a pretty thick 30wt. Or save a few dollars and go to the closest CO-OP and get their 0w-40 it is a very close relative to XD3, said to be a PAO very good oil! Even UFA will have a better price on 0W-40 Shell T-5 than a Mobil product @ wal-mart.

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I'd wager that no-one was paying attention to oil technology or capability at Chrysler.

Yes, I'm sure that's the case.
smirk2.gif

Tuck man, I'm in Edmonton, chances are i'm going to switch to XD3 0W40 at 5000 km`s I can get it at a very good price. Wal-Mart just finished there sale on Mobil products they had 5L on for 32$ I should of stocked up but I assumed it was there new rol back pricing.

You guys ought to heat up some 10W-30 in a pan on the stove sometime; you'd get over your fear of "thick" oil real quick.

^ Agreed. Mind you, not all engines will benefit from thicker oil, but in those that don't care, it's not really that thick when hot.

When I drain my Jeep right after a long drive and it's good and hot, the oil comes out pretty darn thin, and that's 5W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back