choosing your AR-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, i pulled the trigger
smile.gif
on the PSA that my friend already had tricked out. I wrote him the check today and take delivery tonight. Its got all the goodys and ive fired the gun and have zero complaints with it. Rifle is 1-7 rate, mil spec, crome lined, full furniture with additional accessories like the bolt release and charging handles, flip up sights, foregrip mounted flashlight, are all upgrades and it includes a $100.00 dual rifle backpack and 4 p-mags.

$800.00

thanks for all the tips on this one.

Originally Posted By: SigQAEngineer
Go with the "piston" uppers. You will be much happier in the long run.

Not going to be happy in 15 years when a little part of the piston system is lost or breaks and hasn't been made in 14 years. Not really seeing the happiness in the short term either. DI is simple, proven, reliable and cheap.

To the OP, get the Colt. High quality and if you ever go to sell it, it's a Colt.

Originally Posted By: salv
I would love a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. If we are talking .223 for under $1000, this would be my first choice.

A Colt AR and ten mags would probably be cheaper than a mini and ten mags. And be better in every way to boot.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Sounds like a nice rifle at a good price.

Enjoy it!

I know for fact he has $1600 in it, at prices 6 months ago. The shop told me they could build it for $1,1xx by todays prices.. they said mint used it was worth atleast $800 without the case or extra mags, so i decided that the $800 was a fair deal. Half the gun is outfittted with magpul accessories in desert tan, and there is not a scratch on it. The owner purchased it 6 months aga, tricked it out and ran 6 magazines through it.. thats it, he couldnt find any ammunition and it stayed in the case after that. I just looked up all the accessories (Magpul) and there is easily over $300 on the gun.
Needless to say im pleased, I do intend to get a bipod for it and im completely undecided on a optic, Its got MOA flip up rear sight on it now and thats a fine backup, but id like to add something better for that 100yrd mark, Im looking forward to playing and continueing to outfit this weapon, i can imagine how addictive it can be !

LOL, spent $1600 for a gun and then sold it at $.50 on the $ because he couldn't find ammo in one of the most popular calibers sold. People are insane.

Sounds like you got a great deal!

I would hold off on the bipod. If you want a handy, short to mid range rifle with a 1x optic, the bipod is just extra weight.

As far as 1x optics go, the Aimpoint PRO can be found for under $400 with mount included and the battery lasts years when left turned on, ready for use.

BSW

Originally Posted By: hatt
LOL, spent $1600 for a gun and then sold it at $.50 on the $ because he couldn't find ammo in one of the most popular calibers sold. People are insane.

+1
.223 is everywhere now...

Colt 6920 here. Absolutely love it. No regrets at all other than I should have picked up a few more when I could get them at the price I bought at.

Sounds like a great deal! I would reccomend a quality Harris bypod, they are light and put up with abuse. For your defensive situation, it would be ideal. You can get eotec reddots for about 400 nowadays, plus they run off 2 AA batteries instead of some special rare battery. If you want some magnification versatility, look into a Vortex 1-4x24mm reddot/scope for about $500. Quality optics are pricy, you get what you pay for...

well, truth be told he sold it as he was a little hard up for cash. Im very please with the weapon, now that ive had it for week and had a chance to sit and play with it im smitten
smile.gif
I have bipods but nothing AR dedicated, although i do have the mounts for it and can swap in and out.

Im looking hard at optics already, and im finding the same things all of you are telling me, Vortex and EOTECH are the middle of the road names that come up most being good red dot etc.

Im torn between a traditional scope with a additional laser or a dedicated red-dot with magnification.

Im guessing for mid-length AR's the laser dot are the most popular.. seems that way, the Vortex is a very affordable option.

Come on man. Don't do like your friend and buy a bunch of stuff to hang of the gun before you even shoot it. Buy a case of ammo or two and shoot the thing. Then you can figure out what stuff you need so you can look cool. I'm going backwards. I started out with decked out AR and I'm down to a a regular lightweight midlength with no optics. It does have a fixed Troy BUIS cause that was cheaper than a good carry handle. Still just as fun. Not quite as good if I needed to shoot perps but what's the chance I have my AR in my hand when a perp shows up.

Come on man. Don't do like your friend and buy a bunch of stuff to hang of the gun before you even shoot it. Buy a case of ammo or two and shoot the thing. Then you can figure out what stuff you need so you can look cool. I'm going backwards. I started out with decked out AR and I'm down to a a regular lightweight midlength with no optics. It does have a fixed Troy BUIS cause that was cheaper than a good carry handle. Still just as fun. Not quite as good if I needed to shoot perps but what's the chance I have my AR in my hand when a perp shows up.

All he is doing is getting a good optic, equally as important as a good rifle unless you like iron sights. Really cheap optics are a step down from iron sights.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

All he is doing is getting a good optic, equally as important as a good rifle unless you like iron sights. Really cheap optics are a step down from iron sights.

Actually learning how to use the gun is the most important thing. Optics are nice, and mandatory for some apps, but not necessary out the gate. You missed the part about bipods, lasers, magnification, etc in his posts. The correct answer is learn how to use the platform first and accessorize to make the gun work better for you. No amount of go fast accessories is going to help you if you shoot 3 boxes of ammo a year slow fire at paper 50 yards away.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman

Actually learning how to use the gun is the most important thing. Optics are nice, and mandatory for some apps, but not necessary out the gate. You missed the part about bipods, lasers, magnification, etc in his posts. The correct answer is learn how to use the platform first and accessorize to make the gun work better for you. No amount of go fast accessories is going to help you if you shoot 3 boxes of ammo a year slow fire at paper 50 yards away.

Hatt, i like you no B.S. approach to this topic, with that said i should qualify myself a little more, this IS one of my duty weapons at work, I DO know how to opperate the weapon, I do qualify well above my LEO qualification requirements yearly with this weapon. I can shoot iron sights just fine, However i dont have the best eyesight (glasses), and for my personal weapon id like to try out a optic. Im not a huge fan of iron sights, a optic is deffinately in the future for this weapon. The reason im "torn" is i already know the majority of time this weapon will be used on a bench punching paper or jugs at or under 100yrds.. so for personal enjoyment a scope would be a great option for bench shooting (with the laser for fast target aquisition if and when needed) v.s. the more popular red dot with or without a magnifier.. I own many , many weapons and shoot weekly. I am not concerned with looking cool. I have found with many of my semi auto, single shot, and of course bolt guns that my bi-pods (i have a half dozen) are very valuable tools at the bench.. Nothing i have talked about is to enhance anything but my own enjoyment and shooting/operation of this weapon.
I however am NOT a AR expert and started this thread to get opinions..
I thank you for yours but maybe now you have a little better understanding of my position and questions on this topic.

SOHCMAN, thanks for looking out..

Prices have been crazy, but for good (not junk) ammo, it's back down to about $0.45/round for .223 and $.090 for .308 in my area.

I have a DPMS LR-308 carbine that is a great rifle. I also have an Armalite AR-15 in .223 that is a pleasure to shoot. If I had to buy just one rifle, I would likely go .223 for ammo cost and ease of shooting ( have taken my kids/step kids to the range...the AR-15 is both easy to shoot and accurate...as well as demystifying the "black rifle")

Prices have been crazy, but for good (not junk) ammo, it's back down to about $0.45/round for .223 and $.090 for .308 in my area.
Looks like cost wise the .223 would be the "plinking" way to go. I didn't realize the .308 was approaching a buck per round, thanks.

I have a DPMS LR-308 carbine that is a great rifle. I also have an Armalite AR-15 in .223 that is a pleasure to shoot. If I had to buy just one rifle, I would likely go .223 for ammo cost and ease of shooting ( have taken my kids/step kids to the range...the AR-15 is both easy to shoot and accurate...as well as demystifying the "black rifle")

Yep, prices are comparable here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back