choosing your AR-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im considering adding a AR-15 to my collection of mostly Hunting arms now. Why ? well #1 is extreme home protectin. I live on property that survivalist or "bug out" guys would love.. Im surrounded by hills in every direction other than the front of my property (lake front) and it's a private lake, only 5 homes totall and i cant see any of the other houses from my property of 5 acres. So line of sight from my front porch and my rear balcony is around 100yrds to the hills. I would like a weapon capable of fairly rapid fire shooting if the need ever came up to defend myself and family in bad times.

#2 I have been trained on them at work (Colt's) and qualify with them yearly.. I like them and find them fun to shoot.

With that said the the options are almost limitless.. Ive been told by several that whatever you choose make sure your get the crome lined barrell and reciever as they last much longer..

This weapon is going to be short to medium range 10-100yrds and im thinking a Holographic sight would be best for fastest target aquiring.. this should suffice for a 100yrd weapon.

so does anyone care to talk brand, model, optic, options etc that maybee i should consider ? Im not looking to build a $3,000 monster but im afraid of the $800 "buds guns specials" and dont want to buy pure junk. Im looking for a reasonable price, reliability above all else.

Im tempted to go to W/M and buy the Colt LE model and throw a decent Holographic sight on it and simply be done.. but i want opinions first.

Most gun shops are not looking at my best interest, only their bottom dollar.
Most of my friends and shooting forums are biased to what they own (ego)

Thanks.

Colt LE is pricey. I have a DPMS that is a well built, nice shooting gun, though it's in .308....the AP-4 carbine. For a serious, short range HD rifle, .308 with a holo sight would be awesome...much more effective round...and if, in the future, you want to go longer range - the .308 is the clear choice....

For a .223 - I have an Armalite that is MIL SPEC, has a great trigger, all the features, including 1in 7 twist and runs about $1200.... Far less than the Colt.

The Colt is a nice rifle, but you're paying a premium for the name....

DPMS and Bushmaster would both make my short list in .223 I already own multiple long(er) range weapons so im not looking at the .308 A friend had his Palmetto Armory (all tricked out) over at my place and was showing it off, i shot it and liked it however it was the first time i had even seen that brand name before.. makes me a little weary..

Originally Posted By: salv
I would love a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle. If we are talking .223 for under $1000, this would be my first choice.

When i worked for the state we had Mini-14's they are a fine rifle and i have nothing bad to say about them other than i simply prefer the feel of a AR in my hand over the Mini.

Go with the "piston" uppers. You will be much happier in the long run.

It will add little over 1/2 lb to your rifle but pistons are much more reliable than the traditional AR design.

Not having buffer springs in the rear stock will allow you to accessorize it w/ folding stock if you wish (FN SCAR).

Military Spec AR's will have 5.56 x 45mm NATO stamped on the receiver, not .223 Remington (Civilian version).

Ammunition choice is just as important as the rifle itself. Think of the gun as a "hammer" while ammunitions are the "nails". You will need to choose the proper nails for your needs in order to be fully effective with an AR.

Train with what you will be using in "real life". Stay away from reloads, target ammo etc.

Learn to shoot with iron sights first before you move on to optics.

The worst part about collecting evil black rifles is one is never enough ! And you'll have endless accessories to buy.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Im considering adding a AR-15 to my collection of mostly Hunting arms now. Why ? well #1 is extreme home protectin. I live on property that survivalist or "bug out" guys would love.. Im surrounded by hills in every direction other than the front of my property (lake front) and it's a private lake, only 5 homes totall and i cant see any of the other houses from my property of 5 acres. So line of sight from my front porch and my rear balcony is around 100yrds to the hills. I would like a weapon capable of fairly rapid fire shooting if the need ever came up to defend myself and family in bad times.

#2 I have been trained on them at work (Colt's) and qualify with them yearly.. I like them and find them fun to shoot.

With that said the the options are almost limitless.. Ive been told by several that whatever you choose make sure your get the crome lined barrell and reciever as they last much longer..

This weapon is going to be short to medium range 10-100yrds and im thinking a Holographic sight would be best for fastest target aquiring.. this should suffice for a 100yrd weapon.

so does anyone care to talk brand, model, optic, options etc that maybee i should consider ? Im not looking to build a $3,000 monster but im afraid of the $800 "buds guns specials" and dont want to buy pure junk. Im looking for a reasonable price, reliability above all else.

Im tempted to go to W/M and buy the Colt LE model and throw a decent Holographic sight on it and simply be done.. but i want opinions first.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Colt LE is pricey.

For a .223 - I have an Armalite that is MIL SPEC, has a great trigger, all the features, including 1in 7 twist and runs about $1200.... Far less than the Colt.

Colt M4 at Walmart is about $1080.00.......why not?

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Colt LE is pricey.

Colt M4 at Walmart is about $1080.00.......why not?

I stand corrected...at that price, buy the Colt. Thought it was closer to $1,800....so, was suggesting in the $1,200 range....

Colts are nice and will hold their value. I've heard only good things about Bravo Company, LMT, Daniel Defense, and LaRue. Your Bushmasters, DPMSs, and Rock Rivers are OK, but usually don't have chrome lined barrels and chambers.

DPMS and Bushmaster would both make my short list in .223 I already own multiple long(er) range weapons so im not looking at the .308 A friend had his Palmetto Armory (all tricked out) over at my place and was showing it off, i shot it and liked it however it was the first time i had even seen that brand name before.. makes me a little weary..

PSA is good to go. I have about 4000 rounds on one of their uppers and 2000 on another (including BCGs) with no issues. Check their website for daily deals. I saw a complete premium mid-length system rifle with a floated barrel for $799 recently. The Colt is nice and I think I'd have to pull the trigger on that one anywhere near $1k, but there are equal (or better) rifles out there for less money.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Colts are nice and will hold their value. I've heard only good things about Bravo Company, LMT, Daniel Defense, and LaRue. Your Bushmasters, DPMSs, and Rock Rivers are OK, but usually don't have chrome lined barrels and chambers.

QFT, The Colt 6920 is the benchmark rifle. The others you mentioned are just as good if not better in some ways but are still scarce.
The Larue is the best mentioned.

Originally Posted By: SigQAEngineer
Go with the "piston" uppers. You will be much happier in the long run.

It will add little over 1/2 lb to your rifle but pistons are much more reliable than the traditional AR design.

Not having buffer springs in the rear stock will allow you to accessorize it w/ folding stock if you wish (FN SCAR).

Military Spec AR's will have 5.56 x 45mm NATO stamped on the receiver, not .223 Remington (Civilian version).

Ammunition choice is just as important as the rifle itself. Think of the gun as a "hammer" while ammunitions are the "nails". You will need to choose the proper nails for your needs in order to be fully effective with an AR.

Train with what you will be using in "real life". Stay away from reloads, target ammo etc.

Learn to shoot with iron sights first before you move on to optics.

The worst part about collecting evil black rifles is one is never enough ! And you'll have endless accessories to buy.
grin.gif

Thanks.

Most piston uppers still have to have a buffer tube, the bcg has to go somewhere when it cycles. Piston uppers don't seem to be as popular as they were a few years ago.

As far as chrome lined barrels go, they aren't always nessasary. Most shooters will never wear out a nonlined barrel, and the chrome can reduce accuracy. My most recent upper is a chrome lined, hammer forged BCM midlength, just because that is what I wanted.

I haven't heard much of anything negative about Palmetto State Armory's stuff. They are fairly new to the game, but seem to be respected. I don't think they actually produce anything themselves.

It is hard to beat the Colts at Wal-Mart though. If you just want a dependable generic rifle.

Last edited:
Just to provide some substance - THIS - is one of the PSA rifles. Chrome lined 1/7 twist HPT/MPI barrel, MWI free float, low-pro gas block, A2 grip/trigger guard, mil-spec BCG, M4 stock and buffer tube. Give them a few weeks to ship it but it's quality stuff, and it comes with an optic and a 30 round mag for $899 plus shipping...

Last edited:
The PSA rifles are great bargains. I bought a PSA 6.8SPCII Middy upper, and it's a tack driver. I can shoot dime size groups at 100 yards and at 50 pretty much have the holes touching.

The only drawback of the Colt is that it is carbine length.

I personally would save a few bucks more and get a Daniel Defense mid-length. The way they are put together, the true mil-spec sizes, the rifle is made to be thrashed. It's good to go from the box, but like any of the models mentioned, look at a trigger upgrade after you have shot it for awhile. I wouldn't get a match trigger for HD or similar uses, but an aftermarket trigger at 4.5-5 #'s without the grittiness of a stock M16 trigger will help accuracy (I was amazed).

I put the reliability of mid length ahead of a piston rifle, especially the aftermarket ones. I think that yes in theory a carbine length gas system may not be reliable on paper, but in reality this is not the case. With a middy, there really aren't any problems. Plus it's not like you are in the field and you will be shooting 5000+ rounds without cleaning.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The PSA rifles are great bargains. I bought a PSA 6.8SPCII Middy upper, and it's a tack driver. I can shoot dime size groups at 100 yards and at 50 pretty much have the holes touching.

The only drawback of the Colt is that it is carbine length.

I personally would save a few bucks more and get a Daniel Defense mid-length. The way they are put together, the true mil-spec sizes, the rifle is made to be thrashed. It's good to go from the box, but like any of the models mentioned, look at a trigger upgrade after you have shot it for awhile. I wouldn't get a match trigger for HD or similar uses, but an aftermarket trigger at 4.5-5 #'s without the grittiness of a stock M16 trigger will help accuracy (I was amazed).

I put the reliability of mid length ahead of a piston rifle, especially the aftermarket ones. I think that yes in theory a carbine length gas system may not be reliable on paper, but in reality this is not the case. With a middy, there really aren't any problems. Plus it's not like you are in the field and you will be shooting 5000+ rounds without cleaning.

I have to agree with Pablo here. If you can swing a DD then that's the way to go. FWIW I have 1 carbine length PSA and one middy PSA and they were very different. I added a little heavier Spikes buffer tube to the carbine (about 4000 rounds) and it helped a lot with the feel. I can hardly tell the difference between both of my .223 rifles now other than the carbine length seems to get dirtier faster. Other than that they both shoot the same. I hunt Coyote with both of my .223 rifles and the longest kill I've had so far was 200 yards - with the carbine on a RRA 2 stage match trigger and Magpul BUIS.

Last edited:
Rock River has some nice ones, decent trigger and well built. I tried 7 different ones at the same time and it stood out above the rest.
YMMV

Next door neighbor just bought a Stag Arms AR. Shot it last weekend now he has buyer's remorse. Wishes he bought a Mossberg MVP instead...He is the type of guy who believes everything the sales guy says. He is a sucker impulse buyer and it bit him in the arse this time.

For .223, I got a ranch rifle for my wife, and a Benelli MR1 for myself.

The AR-15 is no doubt a fine weapon, but I've just never cared for it and never had any real desire to own one.

The Benelli does take AR-15 mags, but it's not an AR-15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back