Chinese 196cc diesel engine from Amazon?

Saw a 1960s Toro snowblower f/s on CL near me which the seller refitted with one of these Chinese compression engines, here is the video included in the ad:

Like you I was interested in applications for it but determined it is not for me, I don't own any diesel equipment and it didn't make much sense for me.

Where? I don’t want a snowblower, but I want that!!

I tried ordering one, but the seller cancelled it 2 days later. Perhaps it’s a sign I don’t need one?
Wish I got that sign, I ended up ordering another.

The second one seems to be a slightly revised model which has a thinner front cover-- there seems to be two styles of these 196cc making the rounds on Amazon. Hoping to adapt this thinner front cover model to my tiller, but if that fails I might try to build a generator out of it when time permits. I've read on Reddit and other places that these will run on vegetable oil, used motor oil, basically any combustible hydrocarbon that's not too volatile (like gas). Would make an awesome emergency genset.

The second one seems to be a slightly revised model which has a thinner front cover-- there seems to be two styles of these 196cc making the rounds on Amazon. Hoping to adapt this thinner front cover model to my tiller, but if that fails I might try to build a generator out of it when time permits. I've read on Reddit and other places that these will run on vegetable oil, used motor oil, basically any combustible hydrocarbon that's not too volatile (like gas). Would make an awesome emergency genset.
Thought about a generator, or specifically a 200A alternator, a battery, and a inverter. Problem is it will be very loud, and very heavy - but fairly simple to build and maintain.

Thought about a generator, or specifically a 200A alternator, a battery, and a inverter. Problem is it will be very loud, and very heavy - but fairly simple to build and maintain.
They seem pretty darn solid, and it starts with a single pull every time (using compression release lever first). Noise is louder with engine unloaded, but comparable to the gas engine it replaced when under load IMO. The diesel sounds like it's not working as hard.

I would likely use mine on my log splitter. Don’t need an engine for it though as I technically have 2. Lol

If it wasn’t for the modification to get it to work, I would be more inclined to give it a try. You made it look easy. Another concern id have is the undersized keyway.

I might still get one. No idea.

*If anyone is interested, ebay has many sellers as well, but be aware the sellers have accounts less than a year old too. You just have to sift through them.

I would likely use mine on my log splitter. Don’t need an engine for it though as I technically have 2. Lol

If it wasn’t for the modification to get it to work, I would be more inclined to give it a try. You made it look easy. Another concern id have is the undersized keyway.

I might still get one. No idea.

*If anyone is interested, ebay has many sellers as well, but be aware the sellers have accounts less than a year old too. You just have to sift through them.
I think these engines would work great in a log splitter or other hydraulic application. That said, if my mill-the-shaft job looked easy, don't let it fool you. That was after 3+ hours of trying to figure it out. A spinning angle grinder with some sort of 60-80 grit sanding disc being careful with pressure and some hand sanding after was what worked for me.

The Chinese diesel engine doesn't do anything a gas engine won't do. It requires more effort to start, needs the shaft turned down to 3/4", and smells worse when running. That's the bottom line. I just happened to have spare time and these piqued my interest. Just a gearhead hobby of mine and one that didn't cost a whole bunch. But it is unique and works great when done, along with the fact that you can run these on alternative fuels. I'll sell my old gas engine (with only a few hours on it) for some portion of what I paid for the new engine. At the end of the day, these aren't for most people which is why they don't sell attached to equipment.

The Chinese diesel engine doesn't do anything a gas engine won't do.
I'd point out that it's like all of 3hp. Think about that for a moment--most us would pooh on a push mower with that much hp.

Assuming 100% efficiency (unlikely!) that's all of 2,200W. 9A at 240Vac or 18A at 120Vac. Take off at least 10% for conversion. A 2kW genset? maybe 1,800W? On the bright side it would not need to idle down to save fuel (it could but not quite the fuel savings over the gas mills), so for a gasoline conversion, it might make a fuel sipper--but it'd be at the wrong rpm (these are 3,000 rpm) and still be a 2kW peak generator in the end.

Which might be fun to make all the same, and might fit someone's need, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade.

Screw it, I'm in for one. $147 on ebay. Description is word salad but it has the same (stock? LOL) pictures.

I have the rest of the pieces for a redneck inverter generator. With a 12v car battery in the mix it could handle surges in demand or even cycling like a refrigerator.

They sell sheaves with 20mm internal diameters, for those who want to leave these things stock, but run belt driven whatevers.

I'd point out that it's like all of 3hp. Think about that for a moment--most us would pooh on a push mower with that much hp.

Assuming 100% efficiency (unlikely!) that's all of 2,200W. 9A at 240Vac or 18A at 120Vac. Take off at least 10% for conversion. A 2kW genset? maybe 1,800W? On the bright side it would not need to idle down to save fuel (it could but not quite the fuel savings over the gas mills), so for a gasoline conversion, it might make a fuel sipper--but it'd be at the wrong rpm (these are 3,000 rpm) and still be a 2kW peak generator in the end.

Which might be fun to make all the same, and might fit someone's need, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade.
My 6500 BTU portable A/C will run at around 1000W once started. Startup inrush is closer to 2000w - or specifically - 17A @ 120V - according to my meter.

My 120V Furnace fan pulls only I think like 500W once the inrush is done. That includes the control board and such on my gas furnace. So assuming the power went out and I still had natural gas, thats all I need.

I measured everything myself - including inrush, before I bought my Gas generator.

For an emergency 2000W is lots.

For an emergency 2000W is lots.
Still running flat out here at that level.

Don't get me wrong, I'm planning to get by with a 2kW invertor this winter (like I did last year), just saying, it's on the meager side of things.

Not sure what would smell worse, this diesel or a gas motor, it's not like rose petals come out of my Champion. The diesel smell might be more safe in the end (less CO), so that may have value to someone.

The diesel engine has a flat torque curve and heavy flywheel that make it more useful than a 3hp gasser. But it's not a high performer engine for sure

I'll definitely report back when my next one comes in and I get the chance to adapt it to something else. From what I can tell in a pressure washer application, it's just as powerful at its max RPM (3K) as the "7 torque" 212cc Chonda (GX knockoff) that came off it. The throttle stop screw on the diesel engine if you back it off, will allow you to get it to 3600rpm if one is so inclined. I'll wait until I'm done with the 20 hour break-in (per the manual) before I explore that, but not sure I'll even need to. That is unless the 2nd one is powering a generator.

I just noticed that the one in OP's video is the orange model with the thin front cover, which is the 2nd one I ordered and have yet to receive. The first one I bought (red version?) had the thicker (1-1/4" or so) front cover that made it impossible to fit to my tiller. Probably makes zero difference if you have a simple application, but in tight quarters I think one would want to buy the orange version.

Last edited:
Project complete and I successfully milled the shaft down to 3/4" using a poor man's lathe. That would be an angle grinder with a 60 grit sanding disc, followed by some hand sanding with finer grit to smooth the finish.

I discovered that aluminum oxide abrasives (sandpaper, grinding wheels, etc.) only work when they are doing the work. In other words, holding it over top of the spinning shaft while moving said abrasive back and forth does next to nothing. I had to get something on the angle grinder and get the abrasive spinning or I would have been there for days.

Had to get new key stock and the cutout on the shaft that accepts the key is now shallower than I'd like, but it should be fine for this application. got it all set up now, about to try it out.
A pressure washer for cleaning solar panels!

I just ordered one and I don't have an immediate use for it but I have an old wood splitter out in the back woods that probably needs everything but the frame.

At least I now have a power source and just need to figure all the other stuff out. 🤣

I just noticed that the one in OP's video is the orange model with the thin front cover, which is the 2nd one I ordered and have yet to receive. The first one I bought (red version?) had the thicker (1-1/4" or so) front cover that made it impossible to fit to my tiller. Probably makes zero difference if you have a simple application, but in tight quarters I think one would want to buy the orange version.
Edit: I eat my words. The pictures of the orange model on the Amazon listing are wrong. You'll receive the same engine as the red one I got with the thick front cover. I know for a fact that the thin front cover version of this engine exists, because they are present in many Youtube videos, and all were painted orange. I have to assume the Chinese manufacturer changed to the new model and the old ones shown on the Youtube videos are no longer available.

Orange model with oil dipstick that seems thread into block, thinner front cover and has an installed fuel filter. This is the version I see on many Youtube videos and what was displayed in the (2nd) Amazon listing I purchased.

E1.jpg

Red model with much wider front cover with oil dipstick that is clearly threaded into front cover, lacks fuel filter.

E2.jpg

Well it showed up, that was fast!

It's a "red" one with dipstick in the front cover.

Pictures soon, but it's a quality piece.

I put some clearance valvoline racing 20w50 in it to break it in, "for the zinc." Started it on pure kerosene, now running a 20% K1, 80% D2 mix.

It sounds pretty close to a gasoline engine. Most of the noise from air-cooled engines radiates through the fins IMO. Doesn't sound like a Cummins, LOL.

Probably going to "machine" its shaft down to 19mm for conventional pulleys. Most of what I'd put it on, snowblowers, take multiple pulleys and it would be a mess special ordering pulleys.

There is an owners manual, and it's a Chingrish riot. It says it takes 0.7 liters of oil but it takes closer to 0.9. I stuffed a whole quart in and it slowly drips out the dipstick hole when the stick is removed.

They are right when they say this thing vibrates. I bolted it to some spare lumber so I could step on something while starting it. Once you get used to the extra compression you get the muscle memory to start this thing smoothly.

I might get another. Shoot, my $147 one is out of stock! Wow!

Another benefit is whatever OPE I put this on might fit in my basement. I don't put gas powered OPE down there because of the fumes. Although I love it, ironically, it might go on my LEAST used equipment since keeping fresh gas in it is a problem and I'm always cleaning carburetors.

Last edited:
I watched a minute or two of a teardown of one of these, looked like the flywheel was using pure mass for dampening—no complex shapes to try to balance anything. [For all I know, on a single cylinder it might be impossible to time it, I’m used to looking at gas powered B&S motors that have to accomodate magnets for the magneto.]. I wonder if one added more spinning mass if it’d help dampen anything—not good for anything that moves, but a stationary generator might like it (help with surge?).

I still haven’t figured out how to justify it, I need something to plop it onto first, then deal with that shaft size discrepancy.

Back