Chinese 196cc diesel engine from Amazon?

I ran into a youtube video on these - didn't know they exist. Sort of intrigued for no good reason. Some are under $200 bucks.

Not sure what you would use them for. There not fast enough to run a old school generator. They could run an inverter or a pump. I presume they exist so you can run them in places where diesel is the only fuel - like sub saharan Africa or something.

Anyone here own one?

no but 3000 rpm would be perfect for 50 hz like I need, and diesel would be better than gas as I have an oil fired heater which makes a 2500 liter fuel tank. What would make this better is liquid cooled, I could use the house heating circuit to cool it (and make it start luke warm) and recuperate the energy lost to cooling

Saw a 1960s Toro snowblower f/s on CL near me which the seller refitted with one of these Chinese compression engines, here is the video included in the ad:

Like you I was interested in applications for it but determined it is not for me, I don't own any diesel equipment and it didn't make much sense for me.

Saw a 1960s Toro snowblower f/s on CL near me which the seller refitted with one of these Chinese compression engines, here is the video included in the ad:

Like you I was interested in applications for it but determined it is not for me, I don't own any diesel equipment and it didn't make much sense for me.

This is probably the best video I’ve seen on the engine.

I’d have to look into the specs on this engine, but if it runs slower, it may not be a good log splitter fit. Cold starts look like a pain. The log splitter would be even worse because it is turning the pump in the cold hydraulic fluid as it’s trying to start. (It really needs some sort of clutch.) I didn’t fully understand the throttle position either.

Found these on Amazon and Harbor Freight’s site. 2600 rpm on the diesel? Am I reading this correctly. The other is the gasser 212cc engine from Harbor Freight that I am currently running on my splitter just because.

IMG_7136.jpg
IMG_7137.jpg

Interesting. The HF motor in my repowered snow blower is frozen, and I could use a 240V generator. Way too much for me to do on my own, but will have to watch the video later.

That yahoo has no sort of clutch on his snowthrower, so he's turning over the auger when he's trying to start it.

That compression release is pretty weird, you get one pull then the lever flips over to "most compression." Not RPM driven like a Honda GX clone.

On top of all this, a diesel snowblower would have to run a kerosene mix which will lessen HP even more.

That engine would need a tapered shaft to mate up with most generator heads.

My 3-fuel spark generator runs (also) on propane, which stores indefinitely. It's more expensive per unit, admittedly.

Last edited:
Cool little engine. Are they available in California?

If you get one, add inspection of the "pull handle knot" AND add a large knot to the pull cord (directly below the handle?) so it won't get drawn into the recoil mechanism.

Bolting the thing down would've made this little gem look even better.

I once tried to buy one with school money (under the guise of taking a small engine repair course) the school board said no go cart engines. I still want one badly, but I don't have anything to repower with one. They will rev past 3000 RPM, but it's probably not good for them. They also have better fuel efficient than a gas engine.

I once tried to buy one with school money (under the guise of taking a small engine repair course) the school board said no go cart engines. I still want one badly, but I don't have anything to repower with one. They will rev past 3000 RPM, but it's probably not good for them. They also have better fuel efficient than a gas engine.
The school board mandated that you couldn't purchase a "go cart engine" with school funds, or that was an unacceptable type of engine for the course?

I think I might buy one just because. I have a backup pressure washer that I use for washing cars and I deliberately lower RPM with carefully placed springs on the throttle linkage; washing cars doesn't need 3400psi or whatever it's rated it. The diesel engine swap would be a fun project. Or I might try it on my roto-tiller which has a cheap oil burning B&S engine.

I've scoured all the Amazon listings and I assume each seller is selling the same engine perhaps with a different front cover or color. When you do the math-- price vs shipping, they are all around $200.

Last edited:
The school board mandated that you couldn't purchase a "go cart engine" with school funds, or that was an unacceptable type of engine for the course?
They said because the engine would fit on a go cart i couldn't have it. Their reasoning was if a kid gets his hands on a good running engine he's going to have some fun with it, and fun=not educational.

If only they knew how much money I've made fixing stuff with the tools they let me buy

I ran into a youtube video on these - didn't know they exist. Sort of intrigued for no good reason. Some are under $200 bucks.

Not sure what you would use them for. There not fast enough to run a old school generator. They could run an inverter or a pump. I presume they exist so you can run them in places where diesel is the only fuel - like sub saharan Africa or something.

Anyone here own one?

I don't have any of these diesel engine but I do have yanmars which these are clones of. The yanmars are 320cc and are rated for 6.5hp at 3,600rpm. If you tried to run these clones at 6.5hp they would melt a piston after rolling coal for some period of time.
50hz is fine for most applications. I prefer to run 50hz unless I need full power.

Back