Chevy Cruze steering-wheel comes off while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine turning your car’s steering wheel, or giving it a gentle tug, and having it break away from the steering column. Now you’re speeding along holding the suddenly useless wheel.

It sounds like a vision from a cartoon, or every driver’s nightmare. And it happened to at least one driver of a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze compact car last month, and General Motors Corp. is recalling 2,100 of the cars as a result.

While the recall affects a relatively small number of vehicles, it is an unpleasant development for Chevrolet, which has been riding high on the success of its new small car. Chevrolet sold 50,205 Cruzes through the end of March. That’s well short of the 76,821 units Toyota sold of the Cruze’s main rival, the Corolla, but it is ahead of the 37,379 Cobalts Chevy sold in the same period. The Cruze replaced the Cobalt and is supposed to be a departure from that uninspired model.

In documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the car maker said it traced the problem with that particular car to a case in which the wrong wheel was put in a car and replaced later in the assembly process with the correct one. But the new wheel wasn’t attached properly, the car maker says.

When the wheel separated from the steering column, the driver was able to get the car to the side of the road safely, and the company says it has tested other cars from the production run and found no similar problems. General Motors says it believes this was an isolated incident.

Chevrolet says it has changed the production process to make sure the machine used to attach the steering wheel can accommodate only the correct one. The company is recalling cars that were built before it made the change.

Under the recall, dealers will inspect the steering wheel to make sure it is properly attached. This service is free of charge and the recall is expected to begin on or before April 8, 2011. Owners may contact Chevrolet at 1-800-630-2438.
(Courtesy of The Wall Street Journal)

GM quality at its best! I'll stick with my Toyota. Toyota may have its faults, but at least their steering wheels are not coming off.

Didn't something similar happen to Kia/Hyundais? If it is a limited and isolated case of a few cars that's being corrected in an early production model it's not that big of a deal and doesn't necessarily mean the cars have lots of quality control problems. It might be a bad problem to have but every automaker including Toyota has problems. Oftentimes in much greater number.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Didn't something similar happen to Kia/Hyundais? If it is a limited and isolated case of a few cars that's being corrected in an early production model it's not that big of a deal and doesn't necessarily mean the cars have lots of quality control problems. It might be a bad problem to have but every automaker including Toyota has problems. Oftentimes in much greater number.

True but it's pretty funny.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
GM quality at its best! I'll stick with my Toyota. Toyota may have its faults, but at least their steering wheels are not coming off.

No, with Toyotas you can still steer while going 100 mph down the hwy unable to slow down or stop.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Didn't something similar happen to Kia/Hyundais?

Yes, that was a steering column defect which could cause loss of control.

I remember that because my neighbor had just bought a new Sonata for his wife and received a recall notice soon after. Around 140,000 Sonatas were recalled.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

No, with Toyotas you can still steer while going 100 mph down the hwy unable to slow down or stop.

Come on guys, lets not get the thread locked eh?

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

In the time it takes the average Toyota out there (that being Corollas, Echos, Rav4s, Yaris, Tercels and 4cyl Camrys) to reach 100mph, I would hope that the driver would have thought of neutral or turning off the ignition. But I digress...

Back on topic - Although the Cruze is new to North America, it's my understanding that it isn't "new". I'm surprised that this didn't shake itself out during the Europe/AsiaPac use of the same platform. Unless, of course, it's caused by something unique to North American manufacturing.

Last edited:
It's probably a very isolated case, but it's still one of those quality control horror stories that can make a car look really bad. At least GM was quick to correct it.

If it wasn't so dangerous, it would be kind of funny.

We got a 4x4 side by side UTV in at work for repair that was missing some bolts from the steering column for some reason. It's probably not the fault of the manufacturer; the dealer is the culprit in this case. It's drivable, but the steering column just flops around. That's one way to get tilt steering.

When I first heard this on the radio I chuckled because it sounds so ridiculous but that would be very scary. Good thing it only potentially affects 2,100 vehicles, but unfortunately for GM I think the bizarre recall is just as bad as if they had recalled hundreds of thousands. This is all over the news.

Originally Posted By: mcshooter
a suby does not have enougth power to do a donut let alone my daughters toy

The Subaru WRX STI has plenty of power to run circles and donuts around you or your daughters toy.
grin.gif

I am not down playing this at all..however the reason this occurred was not due to any quality issues related to engineering or ORIGINAL build. What happened was the vehicle had the steering wheel replaced and the person making the repair did not tighten the wheel. The assembly line process has it's tools computer monitored for torque so a loose one will not get by. This repaired vehicle was a one-off mistake, but a bad mistake and I am sure that individual was seriously disciplined for their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back