check engine light on a dodge stratus (P1496) anyone have a suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a Cirrus with these symptoms and chased various electrical parts and replaced several, the alternator's voltage regulator being the main target. Replacing the alternator didn't repair the issue. Voltage levels were high at various points-O2 sensors, TPS, etc. It came to a point where the lights would flicker, yet at wide open throttle the vehicle appeared okay. The final repair was a new computer, as in these models that also regulates voltage in conjunction with the alternator. A jump start was the culprit/start of problems. Getting an ECM from a salvage yard didn't work, as the computers are set to work in correlation with each other from the factory, and introducing a non-factory recognized unit to the other computers would turn the engine off after a few seconds after start. Either a new ECM from Chrysler, with the proper computer coding, vin, etc was the fix or a rebuilt ECM. This, along with replacing the alternator finally repaired the problem. Be cautious, as the high voltage can overload circuits causing other electrical components to burn out. The sooner the problem can be fixed, the better. Apparently, this is a 'glitch' with some chrysler vehicles, more concentrated on Cirrus, Stratus, Sebring and the like. This may not help your problem, but I hope it can be of assistance. Good Luck!

I read more into it. A friend's cadillac deville was acting VERY much like your stratus. He replaced MAP sensor, TPS, EGR, etc. It was a bad fuel injector, intermittently acting up. I also bought a car for $250 that was having some symptoms like yours. I was a spark plug with a cracked insulator, the crack so small it was hardly noticable. After the fix, the value was ~$3000. Such things are quite frusterating, but sometimes so simple. Again, I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back