Need a Toyota guru 1MZFE Hesitation

So many part throwing suggestions. OP, you should get a realtime data anaylzer so you can read things like fuel trims, spark timing, and throttle position, things like that. If your throttle position sensor is bugging out, it could be causing other issues. But throwing parts is not a good idea. You can get decent data analyzers on Amazon for like $30. They plug into the obd2 port and connect to a laptop. On the laptop, you can read real time performance data. I would recommend that before throwing parts at it.
Thanks, I'm gonna have our mechanic at work drive it with his OBD II laptop. He can access all the live data he needs and we will go from there. Not trying to throw any more parts at it.

Denso aftermarket MAF sensor will work fine.

MAF sensor. It's the MAF. A very common problem on many engine families of that era.
Remove the MAF, and clean it with a MAF Sensor cleaner or electrical parts cleaner. DO NOT use brake or carb cleaner.
My 2003 GS300 was doing it up until I cleaned the MAF correctly, and now it's all good. Same thing in one way or another happened on multiple Toyota/Lexus vehicles I owned in the past. Always the MAF. Never a CEL code. (until I actually unplug the MAF)
Cleaning helps most of the time, but on rare occasion a replacement is needed. Only buy OEM, if that's the case. (I see you already bought one. IS IT OEM???) But I'm sure a spray cleaner will bring it back around. DO NOT touch the MAF sensor with fingers. Any oil, including body oils will greatly accelerate its death.

The hesitation you are referring to is the natural characteristics from the drive-by-wire throttle body (ETCS).

The hesitation you are referring to is the natural characteristics from the drive-by-wire throttle body (ETCS).
This goes well beyond the "natural characteristic" of a drive by wire TB. This is bucking and lurching.

SWAG - Does this engine have air assisted fuel injectors? The LS400 will sometimes get throttle stumble if the air passages get clogged. Typically, there's a cover at the throttle body that when removed will allow access to the passages with a aerosol straw.

Untitled_66.jpg

Using a scan tool with live data - engine off key on, slowly and smoothly press gas pedal down from 0 to 100% and watch that it progresses smoothly without any skips or fluctuations. If there is an issue with the throttle body it will show up in this test - the plastic gears go bad over time.

Back