Cheap Plastic ATF Dipstick Broke Went Down Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone who has a source of technical knowledge would be of great help in relieving some anxiety over what happened today.

My dad is a senior citizen and owns a 2003 Saturn Vue V6 AWD. This is the Aisin AF33 transmission which is more reliable than the CVT one which was plagued with tranny failure. I tell you this only so you know the exact transmission we are dealing with. A mechanic and I were working on my dad's 2003 Saturn Vue with the AF33.

We did an ATF drain and fill. The ATF dipstick is a cheap yellow plastic one and the ATF dipstick is located in a horrible spot in my opinion. I have read many complaints about the location on the Saturn Fans forum. Anyways, when rechecking that we had the correct ATF level the tip of this plastic dipstick BROKE OFF and went down the dipstick hole. The size of this plastic piece is at most 3/4" in size.

All I can think of was here I am trying to help my dad and I might have just made things worse. The mechanic seemed to not worry about it and stated that there is a screen which would catch this so as not to allow a constriction of ATF flow or worse. Can anyone who has technical knowledge or knows someone who does on this make/model tell me if this is true?

The mechanic is an honest one by numerous accounts, but I am so worried that it might cause big problems for my dad. I did call a GM service station and the "foreman" researched this further for me and stated he is 99% sure there is a screen designed to catch things so they are not introduced into the transmission gears/clutch pack, etc. Not sure why they could not tell me with certainty? I tried finding a diagram of the AT design/parts diagram to see if there is a screen, yet one was not to be found online in my search at least.

THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME.

Most transmissions have a screen to prevent things like that from getting sucked in. I think all you have to do is drain the ATF and take the ATF pan off. You should find your plastic piece in there.

every trans that I have had apart does pull the fluid up thru the filter/screen before it goes thru the tranny. so, theoretically, you are fine. altho whats the big deal with dropping the pan to remove the plastic piece?

It should not be that much trouble to drop the pan + it will give you a chance to check the screen and clean it if needed.

Otherwise, the screen should trap it before it can be sucked deeper into the transmission.

Ya it cant get sucked into anything. Ford used to have a plastic plug in the dipstick hole that got pushed into the trans when they installed the dipstick.

Lots of guys found that plug during a trans service and got scared but it's nothing to be concerned about.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Ya it cant get sucked into anything. Ford used to have a plastic plug in the dipstick hole that got pushed into the trans when they installed the dipstick.

Lots of guys found that plug during a trans service and got scared but it's nothing to be concerned about.

Used to???, you are right but they still do had a pan down on an 08 E250 and sure enough there was the plastic bobber. Been a while since I seen one. Ford used this to seal the trans till the dipstick tube got inserted, then the plug just fell in the pan.

Daddyblogger, I wouldn't worry, It should sink to the bottom and not be picked up, even if it does the screen will catch it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
It may not get sucked into the system, but can certainly get in many places to jam things up.
I'd yank the pan.

There are still moving tranny parts right above the ATF pan. The plastic piece will be floating on top of the ATF at its highest point after a cold start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back