Changing the clocks-time

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of this changing time from winter to summer? How useful is it really?
This last two days I suddenly have to go out in the dark again.
I'm sure that the accident rate goes up by the way that people drive having got used to lighter mornings.
I don't personally see any benefit.
Overall it must cost and for what?

Yeah, a ton of discussion on pros and cons of that one out there.

Personally, I don't care for it. I wouldn't mind us being on summer time all year long. I'd rather it be dark longer in the morning, but instead have more daylight in the afternoon. It's kind of depressing when you finish working around 5, go outside, and it's totally dark.

Summer in Northern Montana (for example):

WithOUT DST: Sunrise 430am. Sunset 830pm.

WITH DST: Sunrise 530am. Sunset 930pm.

More "usable" time...it's perception really...if people wanted more light they could get up earlier but it's a societal thing.

I'd also prefer to leave time alone.

I like "summer time".

I can't sleep once it's light out. It is bad enough that during the summer I naturally wake up at 5, it would be even worse!

It is nice when it's bright out until late too

I love day light savings time. More time to golf after work. I'd like double daylight savings time in june and July. Sunrise at 4 4am can be moved back to 5am and let it very dark at 10pm

I kinda look forward to the Summer hours (using DST).

I don't like having to manually change the time on clocks in the house (2x / year).

Yesterday, I hung a sign on the dinning room clock and it says Standard Time.

The best clocks change automatically.

The spring time change happens too early. Now if I want to work out in the morning and go to work after, it's in the dark, with blowing snow making it dangerous. And having more daylight in the evening when it's 25 degrees outside doesn't mean much to me. I'd be fine with it never changing, or at east three weeks later.

Daylight savings time is an abomination! There is no need for it. I believe the government thinks they are lowing electric bills saying it is later in the day than is actually is. They assume that you won't have the lights on as long. Never mind that you still have to use them longer in the morning.

I am normally in bed around 8:30 pm so I can wake up at 3:30 am. The extra daylight just makes it little harder for me to get to sleep. I absolutely HATE Daylight Savings Time!!!

I like it in Texas.

I work a 8am to 5pm shift. When I get home by 530 I can do a few chores around the house, and grill outside, take a walk with the wife all before sunset.

That extra hour is pretty nice to have.

When I worked nights in NY, I never really noticed DST either way.

Love DST &, if I were King, would declare it's universal effect forthwith & never change it to standard time again. But that's me...

John.

Don't have DST here in AZ...

The only clock I have to change is here on bitog in my setting twice a year to adjust for DST.

I don't think you guys have to do that

Don't need it at all here about 30°N or so of the equator. During the Summer, it remains > 90°F when the weather forecast comes on around 10:15pm. The humidity is already climbing by then. Also played [censored] when I did Summer star parties. People wanted to start at 7pm and finish by 9:30 or so. They don't understand that Astronomical Twilight > 9:30p in the Summer.

The LAST thing politicians need to be messing with is everyones rhythm. Further, DST isn't "natural", nor "organic". Therefore it flys in the face of present convention.

We don't need it in Texas. Our second greatest cause of weather related death is sunstroke.

Originally Posted By: torino351
Daylight savings time is an abomination! There is no need for it. I believe the government thinks they are lowing electric bills saying it is later in the day than is actually is. They assume that you won't have the lights on as long. Never mind that you still have to use them longer in the morning.

It's a fact...the morning and evening peak demands change markedly when DST is invoked or returned to Standard time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back