Changing filter every other OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use a better filter those purolater classics have been known for tearing and other quality issues within the last couple of years...
I use my filters for 2 oci's i believe every time you change your filter you have one more dry start and you get more wear from that.

I keep reading oil filters get more efficient, but I still have not seen any research papers to back up this claim. If an oil filter is 99.1% efficient at 20 microns, how much more efficient does it get as it loads up? And does that increase really matter since the filter is already very efficient? Will the increase in efficiency outweigh the probability the filter will fail--go into bypass, media tear, ADBV failure, bypass valve failure, etc.--as the mileage increases during the life of the filter?

Last edited:
From previous discussion here, no proof has been shown oil filters get better as they load up. The efficiency tests start with a new filter and publish the end results. Someone Mr. Six I believe posted some data showing intermediate points in the efficiency tests and it was inconclusive if I remember.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Honda and Toyota have been doing it for years, and that's based on cheap low rent oil filters, a Fram Ultra wouldn't scare me for 20K or 2-3 oil changes, easily.

So with some drivers that would be keeping a filter on for two years. Any harm in that?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
From previous discussion here, no proof has been shown oil filters get better as they load up. The efficiency tests start with a new filter and publish the end results. Someone Mr. Six I believe posted some data showing intermediate points in the efficiency tests and it was inconclusive if I remember.

Only data point I have is info via email with a Purolator engineer 3+ years ago.

He said the efficiency curve vs. run time was shaped like a "hockey stick", where it started high, slowly decreased, then turned back up and started getting more efficient again. He wasn't clear if it ended up at a higher efficiency at end of life compared to what it was at the beginning, but my interpretation was it wasn't if the curve really looked like the shape of a hockey stick.

That's it, and since there isn't any proof more, well what else to say. My last change on the Toyota Prius was at 5K, using Mobil 1 0w-30 and a Japan Denso filter. The driving was probably 90% short trip in town. In the bottom of the filter can was a thin layer of black soot like stuff. Never saw that before. I wiped it and the paper towel was black. So from that I gather the filter is very efficient, the dome end bypass didn't open and flush the soot, frequent cold starting even in CA with a Prius causes more soot than I expected, and I am content I changed early and "wasted" more filter and oil. I wouldn't have a way of knowing when the filter started to clog and the soot may be pushed through if I left the filter on. The element was black and the oil was dark red coming out and black in the recycling jug. The oil on the stick still looked golden and was exactly on full. To each his own I guess, according to what they see and the conditions. I'm continuing the one filter each change using premium filters.

Interesting discussion.

I change my oil filter in Chebby 5.3L Tahoe once a year and OCI is 6 months. Mobil 1..

I am not proud of it, it just kinda happens. The last time I was under the car, changing oil, I got an urgent phone call and I just drained the oil and was getting ready to swap the filter. I decided not to mess with the filter given the urgency.
That was this past spring. I just changed the oil/filter today and honestly do not remember when I did the filter. I think it was a year ago.

The dirty oil in it bothers me a bit when I don't change so at least I try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back