chain lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
surprised that the other thread i see on the topic is from 2008, must be some new products on the market since then...

anyway, let's talk chain lube. what do you prefer: a spray lube, liquid lube you "drip" on the links? wax typed lube to keep from attracting dirt and grime? brands? decisions decisions.

for reference i'm thinking for my new cbr250...

Its more critical to keep sand and other grit off than to have an expensive chain lube. Clean and lube often. I use that DuPont stuff.

Working a bike dealer for over ten years I tried about everything that looked like it would not 'fling off'. Maxima Chain Wax is what I kept coming back to for my street and track bikes...

The only one I've ever seen recommended by a chain maker, Regina, is PJ1 blue. I used it for over 25 years in my shop for "O" ring chains. Yes it flings off a little, but seems to protect and lube better than most and is readily available.

YMMV

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
DuPont Teflon Chain Saver is what I use.
I've also been using this for the past several months, and have been happy thus far.

The DuPont Chain Saver is awesome, and in a pinch the DuPont Teflon Multi Purpose lube works well as a substitute. Along with the harder to get Bel Ray stuff they are the cleanest as far as fling off I have ever used. The Maxima chain wax stuff is also clean in that regard, but it seemed to get the chain and sprocket dirtier faster for me.

i have tried a number of them. including all those listed above.
at this point, i keep going back to the dry spray teflon like dupont.

as i explained to the neighbor kids about their bicycle chains.

what can grind steel? they said sandpaper.
ok what is sandpaper made out of? sand.
and what can catch and keep sand? oil.
so what do we NOT want on our chain? oil.
and that was the answers from a girl that will start 2nd grade this fall.

Has anyone tried Liquid Wrench's Dry Lubricant? I know the same company used to make the S&W gun lubes and I liked their dry lube for guns. Thought it might be a good one to also try for a chain lube. Just worried it would "dust off" a high speed chain.

Considering I have over 100,000 miles on a present rear sprocket, only tight track riding, and post 100 high speed application, the key is film strength, you have to cut metal to metal contact in order to quelch sprocket wear, and 60,000 mile on a front also, teflon dry lubes do none of this(quelch metal to metal), so your still going to be replacing parts as often if you use nothing at all.

There are only a couple of lubes that offer this level of film strength, so you have to really think why your running a certain lube, cause imo most mc riders are only interested in having inspection clean sprockets and say its great. FOO FOO!

Im only interested in Longevity PERIOD!!!!

while lubes like BLUE have good film strength, they are a [censored] to clean off.

Waxes clog up the whole chain and nothing spins freely.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Considering I have over 100,000 miles on a present rear sprocket, only tight track riding, and post 100 high speed application, the key is film strength, you have to cut metal to metal contact in order to quelch sprocket wear, and 60,000 mile on a front also, teflon dry lubes do none of this(quelch metal to metal), so your still going to be replacing parts as often if you use nothing at all.

There are only a couple of lubes that offer this level of film strength, so you have to really think why your running a certain lube, cause imo most mc riders are only interested in having inspection clean sprockets and say its great. FOO FOO!

Im only interested in Longevity PERIOD!!!!

while lubes like BLUE have good film strength, they are a [censored] to clean off.

Waxes clog up the whole chain and nothing spins freely.

What kind of bike is this on? That is impressive.

DuPont changed the formula of their blue label multi lube. If it doesn't have "wax" on the blue label, it isn't good enough for motorcycle chains. I tried the DuPont yellow label chain lube in the squeeze bottle for bicycle chains, and it works poorly. One of the motorcycle sites had a very poor review of the stuff, also.

Anyone have Schaeffer sources (I have mine)? I really like the results I get from Schaeffer #227 chain lube--moly & graphite in a evaporating penetrating base.

Würth has two good products, their Dry Chain Lube and their HHS-K (replacement for HHS-2000).

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Has anyone tried Liquid Wrench's Dry Lubricant? I know the same company used to make the S&W gun lubes and I liked their dry lube for guns. Thought it might be a good one to also try for a chain lube. Just worried it would "dust off" a high speed chain.

I haven't tried their dry lube, but I use Liquid Wrench MC & Agriculture Chain Lube on my motorbikes. I think it works great for the price (about $5). It is probably sold under another brand name in the States (I'm thinking DuPont), because near where it says "Made in USA", it also says its sale is prohibited in the USA.

I moved up to a bike with a belt, and convinced the wifey to do the same. Never again will I mess around with that dirty grimy stuff. Plus with the amount we ride, we'd end up cleaning/lubing about once a week. Pain in the you-know-what.

I used to use Liquid Wrench to lube, and WD-40 to clean.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
I moved up to a bike with a belt, and convinced the wifey to do the same. Never again will I mess around with that dirty grimy stuff. Plus with the amount we ride, we'd end up cleaning/lubing about once a week. Pain in the you-know-what.

I used to use Liquid Wrench to lube, and WD-40 to clean.

Replacing a belt is also a pain in the you know what on most bikes versus a chain. So you may save some aggrivation short term, but pay for it a bit on the back end. I do like belts because if you have polished rims they stay nice looking.

I was picked to test Motul's new Chain Paste and after 400 miles I
believe it's the smartest product on the market and the right solution
everyone has been looking to *properly* lube their chain and sprockets
because it brushes a layer of white grease like from the factory that
clings with no flings...

Motul Chain Paste... squeeze the white grease from the tube and load
the brush...
MotulChainPaste2_zpsb22b6b29.jpg

Hold the loaded brush to the inside of the chain rollers to transfer
the white grease...
[
MotulChainPaste5_zps08669024.jpg

After a couple of spins of the chain it's lubed like from the
Factory...
MotulChainPaste1_zps9b86300d.jpg

Motul Chain Paste clings with no flings...
MotulChainPaste3_zpsbe8c4652.jpg

MotulChainPaste4_zpsad4f43ed.jpg

I wish to thank my new friend Joey / Motul Manager for the opportunity
to participate in their free trial offer... I'm sold...
MrRC45Joey1_zps57c06579.jpg

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop

Motul Chain Paste clings with no flings...

Sure, it clings, but stuff like dirt/dust clings to it as well, I'm sure.

How easy is the chain cleaning process with this paste on?

Originally Posted By: Anduril
I moved up to a bike with a belt, and convinced the wifey to do the same.

Amen... chains are a pain... belts spell relief...

I engineered my own belt drive on my VF500F and my friends coined the term
Belt-0-Ceptor... I racked up 98,000 trouble free miles... I sold it to
my Air Force buddy up in White City Oregon...
BeltCloseUp.jpg

gallery_3131_51_14630.jpg

I engineered a belt drive conversion for Mr.RC45
gallery_3131_51_26197.jpg

But I failed to unchain Mr.RC45... not that I didn't come close... I
came within 3mm of enjoying a light weight... maintenance free...
snatch free... lubeless belt drive system... it all came down to
finding the right number of teeth in a 11mm pitch belt... and so with
only 2 bikes in the world that employ the 11mm pitch belt (2003 Buell
and the 2007 BMW 800) I have to wait for a 3rd bike to employ the
little known 11mm pitch Poly Chain Belt...

Mock up
gallery_3131_51_84342.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back