CATERHAM's influence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen CATERHAM state several times that syn 10W30 was an obsolete grade. With my last oil change I used the remainder of my M1 HM 10W30 so tonight in Wally World I bought the M1 HM 5W30. I must admit some congnitive dissonance buying the 5W30. Years ago I learned that you should buy the narrowest range suitable for your climate to minimize the VII. I realize that it probably doens't make much difference in NC. Nevertheless, it is yet another example of BITOG impacting oil habits.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
I've seen CATERHAM state several times that syn 10W30 was an obsolete grade. With my last oil change I used the remainder of my M1 HM 10W30 so tonight in Wally World I bought the M1 HM 5W30. I must admit some congnitive dissonance buying the 5W30. Years ago I learned that you should buy the narrowest range suitable for your climate to minimize the VII. I realize that it probably doens't make much difference in NC. Nevertheless, it is yet another example of BITOG impacting oil habits.

Or you are forgetting how to think for yourself. It happens, lots of people like to do what others do as they feel it must be right if others do it.

leave it to BITOG for an argument to start over nothing?
35.gif

To the OP, I did the same thing after I read the Motor oil University articles from this site. Its good to be properly informed about oil unlike some people I meet out there with the weirdest oil myths. I was once told that once you start using an oil in an engine you can't use a different viscosity or brand or anything other than what you put in or the engine will blow up. lol.

Cheers to breaking old habits
11.gif

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Originally Posted By: teddyboy

Or you are forgetting how to think for yourself. It happens, lots of people like to do what others do as they feel it must be right if others do it.

I generally try to follow the advice of someone else when it's clear that they know more than me. In this situation, that was clearly the case. Sometimes thinking for yourself invovles incorporating good information from others.

BITOG does do that! I used 10w30 in everything for decades before I got on here LOL. Caterham has been great to learn from, very knowledgeable yet not condescending. A+ guy.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
BITOG does do that! I used 10w30 in everything for decades before I got on here LOL. Caterham has been great to learn from, very knowledgeable yet not condescending. A+ guy.

+2....I like people who think outside the box.

However, if I should happen to find a nice stash of 10w-30 or 15w-50 Mobil 1, on clearance for a great low price....I buy it.

I'll find a use for any good synthetic oil at a bargain basement price....especially in today's economy.

Originally Posted By: mongo161

I'll find a use for any good synthetic oil at a bargain basement price....especially in today's economy.

Me too, in fact when Strauss closed one of their stores I bought 6 cases of M1 5W40 TDT for under $2 a qt. I kept some and sold some off for a nice profit. I love a good deal when I find one.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Tonight he told me I had no business commenting on somebody's post. My comment was "anti thin oil". How dare I....

For what it's worth, I've used 5w-30 the entire time I've owned the Cavalier in my autosignature and it still runs great. I'm fully convinced at this point that I'll be changing cars before the engine goes out.

A few years ago, two tribologists/blenders on this site both picked 10W-30 if they only had one multi-grade viscosity to choose from.

-Dennis

Most OTC 5W-30 synthetics still have more polymeric VIIs than their 10W-30 counterparts but the difference is not very big. I believe the best choice depends on the situation: engine, driving habits, climate, etc.

If I lived where it was warm, I would use 10w30 year round and not think twice about it. Now if I could buy a good 0w30 for the same price, I would probably do that and reap the marginal benefits
grin.gif

Funny because not too long ago people on here were considering (some did) the move to straight 30 to get away from VIIs where the climate allowed.

For most climates, flow vs film thickness at ambient temps might just trade and result in very similar protection but a slight fuel economy difference. I've not run the actual calculations to prove anything else at the moment.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: mongo161

Me too, in fact when Strauss closed one of their stores I bought 6 cases of M1 5W40 TDT for under $2 a qt. I kept some and sold some off for a nice profit. I love a good deal when I find one.

That's why there is 10W30 Edge in my 4 Runner! Got it for $0.98 on clearance...obsolete? Sure, maybe, who cares? It works perfectly in an old truck in this climate...

Last edited:
I've heard/read somewhere that straight 30, ran in the right climate is about the same viscosity as a 10W-30....?

Funny cause my Hayne's manual for my 88 Dodge Aries lists SAE30 as an "applicable oil" - but back in those days, thicker was better....

Running 5W-30 in it now, but got a bit of a cold-start "clatter" until it warms up...tempted to try a 10W-30 or even SAE30 in it come this spring (or even within the next couple weeks.....ambient temps down here in FL have been pretty high lately....).

When I did check a couple SAE30 bottles, the only thing they noted, was not to be used when temperatures are below 40 degrees....well shoot, I think our "winter" is done here....and even then we only seen 40 degrees I think a couple nights thus far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back