Castrol Tection Extra 15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I would like to know members'opinion on this oil. I have used Delvac Dino but this is on sale at Advance Auto Parts ..$5.00 per gallon. Does anyone use it or have any thoughts??? Thanks

Be sure and check out the forum "Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions" for link to PDF printout webpage for $6 rebate on 3 gallons @ Advance ($15-$6=$9 for 12qts!).

-David (please to see Advance here in Houston finally!)

PS> I believe it is very comparable to Shell and Chevron 15W-40s. The Ci4 rating did it for me, these three oils happy live in my Norton, '61 Ranchero, and the wifes 5-series wagon in summertime (GC in cooler months).

I currently use Rotella 15w40 in my yam vstar 1100 w/ wet clutch, would castrol tection 15w40 be safe for the wet clutch ?

My vote is yes. It has all the latest ratings for diesels. Working well in my Royal Star wet clutch for 1500 miles so far. Supposed to have excellent shear resistance, esp. for a non-synthetic. I guess the only way to know for sure is to test it afterwards to see how well it held up. I'll change it in 500 miles and let you know. I loaded up on this oil recently due to the unbeatable price and rebate. Heck, it's already low without the rebate!

Thanks bmwtechguy, let me know and I will keep stocking up on it at these prices and try it this spring.

I was telling a friend(with a 6.0 PSD) about Tection and, he asked me if it had anti-soot control? He is currently using Rotella 15W40. I looked at the 1 gal container @ Adv.Auto the last time I was in there and the container did'nt say! Does anyone know?

Yes, about the "soot control". Any diesel oil that meets the latest CI+ and Mack EO-N Premium Plus '03 will have everything, including "soot control" in its formulation. Castrol Tection Extra meets all the latest diesel specs and seems to be a great value for the price right now while the sale at AA is on til end of Dec. (with rebate if you really want to go cheap.)

just a nit-pick, there is no such thing as anti-soot control, just better soot handling capabilities. As stated covered by anything with the latest CI-4+ rating.

Thanks for the responces! I'll tell my buddy. I'll have to tell him."YOU FOOL! IT'S NOT ANTI-SOOT CONTROL, IT'S BETTER SOOT HANDLING"!..."NOW! GET IT STRAIGHT THE NEXT TIME YOU ASK ME TO DO SOMETHING FOR YOU"!...LOL...Just havin' a little fun.

Checker Auto Parts, here in the Phoenix area, has a coupon for Castrol Tection Diesel 15-40 Gallon for sale on a "Buy One Get One Free" basis until 1/31/06.
Checker's is known a Schuck's & Kragen's, in other parts of the country.

Joe F.(Buffalo)

I too have been considering using this oil since it is on sale at AutoZone buy 2 get 1 free. I can use it in my tractors and 4 wheeler when it warms up. I am sure it is better oil that what any of these machines spec'd when they were knew. Both my tractors have military oil specs if that tells you anything.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back