Castrol GTX Magnetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a Vega/Astre/Monza/Starfire/Firenza/Sunbird with the 2300-4 it wont stick to the cylinder walls...that's an aluminum bore engine.

Exactly. Two types of "charged" elements on periodic table. Cations positively charged. Anions negatively charged. Could this really work in a motor..? Sure. In all applications and motors ?? Probably not. Now I do like Castrol products in general. They make good stuff but they also do a great job advertising too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
If you have a Vega/Astre/Monza/Starfire/Firenza/Sunbird with the 2300-4 it wont stick to the cylinder walls...that's an aluminum bore engine.

Cam lobes and timing chains, crank bearing surfaces, rings, all iron based.

Still, this isn't magnetism, its electrical field stuff. So don't think of magnets here. That part is just descriptive marketing. So it probably sticks to aluminum too. Some modern engines don't have iron cylinder liners either.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Exactly. Two types of "charged" elements on periodic table. Cations positively charged. Anions negatively charged. Could this really work in a motor..? Sure. In all applications and motors ?? Probably not. Now I do like Castrol products in general. They make good stuff but they also do a great job advertising too
smile.gif

smile.gif

I guess that the three or four guys still running these notoriously short-lived engines won't benefit from this oil?
LOL!
On a serious note, polarity has nothing to do with whether a metal is ferrous or not.
Most of the basestocks used in blending motor oils are polar as are some of the additives.
Castrol is marketing something that every OTS oil already has, but Castrol's marketing has been lame for many years and that didn't begin with BP.

Ahh exactly.. Ca+ is just that a cation. So yeah.. Well aware of this. I work with elemental level stuff . aka your body. I'm not going to get into how these elements polarity affect or don't effect a motor or an oils effectiveness. Beyond my pay grade, and knowledge base. But I was just pointing out polarity.but I will say this with confidence.. Polarity and elemental reactions and interactions DO matter in regards to motors and the oil we put in them. Take that too the bank.

Last edited:
The blend is kinda high at 20 some bucks but I've been buying it at parts store OCI specials, which when coupled with an expensive filter are a smokin deal.

The jug price alone for the 5w20 full syn is a good deal at Wally's. Not sure which I'll end up but have been stashing 5w30 while the introductory deals are flowing.

I haven't used it yet but I was very happy with the synblend it is replacing so I imagine I'll like it, don't ever remember not liking a Castrol lube. Well one time I put GTX 5w30 in my old XJ did not like that sounded like a brass band.

Originally Posted By: tezzzas
Are they claiming it works on real magnetism, and is so, it doesn't really work well for modern aluminum engines.

Or aluminum pistons for that matter. Worthless oil.

smile.gif

Not "charged", "polar"...there's a difference.

Positive, negative charged.. This is not or has anything to do with being magnetic.. The Na and K pump that works your muscles.. Is not based on magneticism.. Based upon cations and anions. And how they work together.
Again, this HAS NOTHING to do with or IMPLY magneticism.

Last edited:
What cotnes first? The molecule or the elements that make up that molecule?? What would cause polarity?? The charges of the elements that make up that molecule. Polarity does not happen out of the thin air..it happens due to his the elements combine to firm those new molecules. And yes.. There are cations and anions involved in making up molecules.. Thus polarity.

Last edited:
An interesting question.. Would an oil be even be able to form a "polar" bond with a metal inside of a motor ?? How permanent would this bond be? Is that really going to happen? I am not saying no. I'm just curious as well about that.

Varnish is an oil byproduct, is extremely polar, and extremely tenacious.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

It's NOT magnetic, in spite of the title...

does varnish stick to Al components ?

(Answer is YES).

The varnish forms is very interesting and makes sense. Again, the interaction on a elemental level causes it to form. Between positively and negatively charged elements that make up molecules interaction with metals and heat combine to form this by product. That does make a lot of sense.

Originally Posted By: salv
I have the stuff in both of my vehicles. No difference in NVH on startup. Actually the quietest that my Taurus was on startup was with GTX HM and an FL400S. The Trailblazer ran quietest on ST Synthetic with a PF61.
Hmmm. OEM filters
grin.gif

I agree. No different than anything else I've used in my 2.0T. I 'think' the only oils that have given me a butt dyno difference are QSGB and VWB in my old Veloster.

There are cations and anions involved in making up molecules.. Thus polarity.

Enormous chemistry fail. Tell me what cations and/or anions make up the methane molecule? Or propane? Or decene? Or a bazillion other molecules with no ionic species? Also, show me a molecule of, say, sodium chloride.

Your work deals with aqueous systems - oil is not aqueous. Molecular polarity is driven by relative electronic attraction of the elements within it (electronegativity to be simplistic). Carbon-based species tend to be very relaxed about where their electrons go. Inorganic elements within an organic molecule often attract electrons (eg N, O, S). This creates a polar moment - a slight preference for electrons to hang around nearer the inorganic elements than the carbons. If the molecule is asymmetric then this leads to the polar moment, which can then have an electrostatic attraction to other molecules (either with or without a polarity).

This is not about ions, it is about electron mobility within a molecule.

There are plenty of polar molecules in any oil. However, some are stronger than others and work at different temperatures. And the orientation that a molecule takes when bound to a surface can be important.

Castrol Magnatec is not magnetic, but since even educated people seem to struggle with electrostatic attraction and molecular polarity, this would be a difficult marketing story, hence the magnet analogy.

Originally Posted By: weasley
There are plenty of polar molecules in any oil. However, some are stronger than others and work at different temperatures. And the orientation that a molecule takes when bound to a surface can be important.

Castrol Magnatec is not magnetic, but since even educated people seem to struggle with electrostatic attraction and molecular polarity, this would be a difficult marketing story, hence the magnet analogy.

As per Castrol in some parts of the world.

http://www.tds.bp.com.au/pdf/4053_magnatec_5w40sp_b1802_05.pdf

Quote:
Castrol Magnatec 5W-40 SP is a synthetic SAE 5W-40 multigrade
engine oil that utilizes Unique Molecular Attraction to form a
lubricating surface on engine parts, protecting vital components at
start-up and during warm-up better than ordinary oils. Castrol
Magnatec 5W-40 integrates Unique Molecular Attraction with
Castrol’s proven advanced lubrication technology to deliver
exceptional performance in all conditions, whether stop-start or city or highway driving.

Castrol Magnatec 5W-40 SP contains a synthetic ester unique to
Castrol. The molecules of the ester are strongly attracted to metal
surfaces, forming a film on these surfaces that provides enhanced
wear protection in the engine. The protective film of lubricant provided by this Unique Molecular Attraction remains adhered to internal metal surfaces when the engine is idle or switched off for weeks or months.

Castrol has used "Magna" as a product family name for a long time, and it's still used today, e.g. Magna Slidway oils

For consumer products marketing is king and it would seem likely to me where the Magna-tec name came from. It's a pretty simple evolutionary twist of an old family name already in their arsenal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back