Castrol GTX Magnetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just came across this product.

Castrol claims, "When the engine stops, oil normally drains off critical engine parts, but Castrol GTX MAGNATEC’s intelligent molecules don’t. They cling to the engine like a magnet, providing an extra layer of protection."

I find this interesting and I wonder if it really works. It's a blend oil and the "magnetic" oil could help dry starts if it does what it says it's supposed to do.

Originally Posted By: tezzzas
Are they claiming it works on real magnetism, and is so, it doesn't really work well for modern aluminum engines.

No, they are not. The 'magnet' reference is for comparison, not actually how it works.

But yes, it does work.

Saw their commercial and was wondering the same thing....how is anything "magnet" going to be attracted to aluminum? I know the cams, crank and pushrods may be work with the principle, but other than that....

The block and heads may be aluminum, but the pistons, crank and cam shafts, connecting rods, valves, cylinder walls, etc., are all steel.

You cant really believe BP on anything.
Try it and see for yourself.
I think it is a silly name and premise but that's just me.

I am thinking MOST ILSAC resource conserving oils have some FA, and or other engineered ester added to meet efficiency requirements and that would " attract" to metal surfaces. Also many earth metal AW compound could be polar that would "attract" to surfaces so I don't know if this is anything exclusive to Castrol other than their latest marketing pitch since they did the sludge thing a few years ago.

18.gif

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3600576/

BP had that magnetic oil in the gulf, it seemed to stick to everything for a good amount of time.

Ha!

Originally Posted By: BillyTheKid
BP had that magnetic oil in the gulf, it seemed to stick to everything for a good amount of time.

I have the stuff in both of my vehicles. No difference in NVH on startup. Actually the quietest that my Taurus was on startup was with GTX HM and an FL400S. The Trailblazer ran quietest on ST Synthetic with a PF61.
Hmmm. OEM filters
grin.gif

Last edited:
Seems like STP and Slick 50 used the idea that their product clung to the moving parts of an engine years ago. But they didn't claim to be magnetic. Maybe Castrol has devised a way to magnetize a liquid?

Castrol had the same product here in the U.S. cira 2005 and it was called GTX Start Up. It bombed. If I were a gambling man I would bet Magnetic will bomb again.

They may be consolidating product names. The Magnetec name has been on the market in other parts of the world for a long time.

V2Tc2Mn.jpg

from "Which Oil" by Richard Michell

It follows from some basic chemistry that some molecules are "polar" in that one end of them is charged electrically and tends to stick to metal

Last edited:
The only thing stopping me rIn trying this oil is that the synblend is $20 and change and so is the synthetic version

Originally Posted By: car51
The only thing stopping me rIn trying this oil is that the synblend is $20 and change and so is the synthetic version

Me too.
Full-syn Syntec gold bottle EP version is $8 more per 5-quart jug at Walmart or Amazon. I'm assuming their top product also does the polar-molecules trick, but with better base oil for less deposits and longer lasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back