Castrol Edge Syntec 0w20 (black bottle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I currently have an 02 Acura MDX with 178,XXX miles. I run nothing but 0w20 oils in it(PP,M1,QSUD,Synpower). However there has been 3 instences, I have used Castrol Edge Syntec 0w20.

All three times, it has consumed about 1qt in at 3-4k miles. Which is rare, and if it does consume oil it's usually 1/4th of a quart.

Is it just me or possible I need to change out my PCV valve? Any help or suggestions will be great help. Thanks!

Give it 2 to 3 oil changes with it before passing judgment. No consumption with the other oil brands? Use it for next couple changes and see if consumption continues. If its been awhile since you changed pcv, you can give it a try, it wont hurt. In my experience I experience some oil usage when switching from one brand to another, however once the engine gets used to it, it doesnt consume any.

Thanks for the input.

The only reason I used it, was due to clearance. Wally world $12.88 for a jug. My inner BITOG bought all 3. After the 2 times I used Castrol Edge Syntec 0w20. I was hesitant on using my last jug. However I said what the [censored], can't waste oil. Now trying it for the 3rd time, it's not for my vehicle.

On the other hand I seen Wally World had Valvoline Synthetic Maxlife 0w20. First 0w20 high mileage sync I've seen. Changing the oil tomorrow, crossing my fingers!

I agree give it time. Often when switching oils you can see a temporary spike in oil consumption. However, the NOACK of this oil is 13.4% which is high.

For comparison sake, Mobil 1 0w20 NOACK is 10%.

Could your issue not be so much the Castrol, but you are using a 0W20 in a engine the OEM states should use 5w20?

Originally Posted By: GON
Could your issue not be so much the Castrol, but you are using a 0W20 in a engine the OEM states should use 5w20?

Obviously not if he has no problems with the other 0W-20's...

Originally Posted By: GON

I've been using 0w20 for the past 6 years and no issue. Also regardless it's still a 20 weight. Living in Alaska, I take advantage of 0wXX. From what I concluded, I'll just stick with the other 0w20 flavors over Castrol.

Last edited:
Hello fellow 907er.

No problems using 0w20 but that Syntec just doesn't seem to be a good fit for your motor. The Valvoline 0w20 high mileage would be a good one to try for you. There's not harm in changing the PCV if youve never done it but it just sounds like your motor isnt happy with Syntecs formulation.

Originally Posted By: jayg
Hello fellow 907er.

No problems using 0w20 but that Syntec just doesn't seem to be a good fit for your motor. The Valvoline 0w20 high mileage would be a good one to try for you. There's not harm in changing the PCV if youve never done it but it just sounds like your motor isnt happy with Syntecs formulation.

Great to see another local 907er!

I went ahead and changed the oil. Valvoline Maxlife Syn 0w20. Hope it works out, it might be my go to oil. Since I do have 178,XXX miles. As for the PCV valve it's still original, I may hold off on it for now. Never heard of PCV valves going bad on 1st Gen MDXs.

I agree with you, no more Castrol for me. Just a personal preference.

At 178k though, if it's cheap and easy to get to, I'd swap it out since they aren't made to last forever.

The 0w is great for when you can't or don't plug in the car. These low temps we've been having in the morning are making me feel like winter is finally here though the snowfall has been disappointing.

Haven't come across an oil that caused any noticeable difference in oil consumption. I'm sure oil formula might have some effect but I'm leaning towards operating conditions and engine degradation having a bigger effect then just old brand alone but who knows.

I'm in for future updates to this case to see if consumption stops with the Valvoline. It being a HM oil makes it an unfair comparison but still worth mentioning.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I'm in for future updates to this case to see if consumption stops with the Valvoline. It being a HM oil makes it an unfair comparison but still worth mentioning.

Why fight fair? If it works, it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back