Castrol Edge 20,000 mile drain interval

Castrol Edge 20,000 mile drain interval
Castrol Edge EP 25,000 mile drain interval

Another marketing gimmick or something in the formulation has been tweaked? Edge used to have a 10K drain interval and doubled suddenly.
Thoughts?
Screenshot_20240404_223236_Walmart.jpg

I don't even rack up 3k in a year for some of my cars. My daily commuter only sees about 8k annually. An oil change every 3 years based on my mileage. No wonder the average joe shows up for an oil change with sludge, if they're changing it off mileage.

Say you did go 20-25k on this oil, what oil filter out there would stand up to that mileage? Ultra, M1, ?

I don't even rack up 3k in a year for some of my cars. My daily commuter only sees about 8k annually. An oil change every 3 years based on my mileage. No wonder the average joe shows up for an oil change with sludge, if they're changing it off mileage.
Its supposed to be either time or mileage

M1 EP is 20k or 1 year

I posted earlier today that th HM version also updated to 15k mi protection. Clearly the website info in a previous post here is older to much older than this label and possibly formulation change. Time will tell.

Exactly right….

I would trust Castrol or Mobil 1 EP to be able to go 20-25k miles in a port injection motor that sees a lot of highway miles.

Though I would run a UOA at around 14-15k miles to check and see where everything was at that time.

I also think HPL and Amsoil are legit 20-25k mile oils. In the same circumstance as I mentioned above. The additive packages in those oils are not constrained by API standards so that makes those oils even more capable of extremely long runs in the right operating systems.

I’d suggest Castrol and other companies used the following chart to illustrate their oils differentiation. :LOL:

Single wide trailer picture= 10k miles

Double wide trailer picture = 20k miles

Custom Home picture = 25k miles
What about a single wide with a custom addition? 15k?

Or a double wide with addition 22.5k?

Or an inground pool?

Hmmmm, thought provoking!

Exactly right….

I would trust Castrol or Mobil 1 EP to be able to go 20-25k miles in a port injection motor that sees a lot of highway miles.
I would trust doing a longer OCI in a port injected engine than on a DI engine based on my 2 Fords. The oil in my PI 2.5 Escape looks good at 7K while my DI 2.0 Focus is pretty dark (soot) at 5K.* The 2.5 has a 5.7 quart capacity while the 2.0 has a 4.5 quart capacity.

*I know oil color doesn't mean much but apparently soot can shorten timing chain life so I change the DI engine's oil more often.

It's strange that these long OCI oils are hitting the market at a time when people seem to be shortening their OCI due to DI engines being harder on oil. I'll stick with 5K OCIs on my DI and 7K on my PI engines. On my daughters Mazda 2.5 the oil doesn't darken as fast as my Focus so I've gone 7K but that's based more on availability of the vehicle to change the oil. All of this is on store bought synthetics like Mobil1, PP, QSUD etc...

PS: I would never (and have never) gone 10K on any oil no matter what the manufacturer claims. Also, now I see why AA and Walmart put the 20K Edge Gold on 'CLEARANCE'....a label change.

I'm also thinking that the cost for a reformulation is a major one. Probably they conducted some extra testing and concluded that the current oils they have in hand can indeed make it to those numbers.

Obviously Mobil 1 is going to change something, or at least the label, LOL 🤣 so they can keep up with Castrol. Pennzoil will as well I'm sure..

Back