Cars with the best starter noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
for some reason the jeep 3.7 v6 stands out in my mind. it's just harsh enough to get my attention and then that chrysler 'ring' in the stock exhaust note takes over. the dual intake 3.5 was similar.

the I6 4.0 always sounded like the battery was dying, but it gets honorable mention.

nothing sounds as precise and refined as a I4 honda, and the same goes for their motorcycles.

I'm going to have to mention the old ej22 (subaru), which sounded rowdy and like it was ready to have the snot beaten out of it, and willing to take it, with great enthusiasm.

direct-drive chevy's are a totally different world, but the variety was stark - no two sounded alike as they aged.

oddly enough the single cylinder B&S on the rider always brings me to a smile. It's raw, strong, and you can hear what's going on as it lights off. that might just be my fav.

Last edited:
The old Volvo B21a engines had an SU/Stromberg setup. When they got out of tune you'd have to crank and crank to get her goin' in -30C temps. I'll never forget the sound of trying to start my dad's old Volvo's with the manual choke and that starter putting in overtime. Once it did start the smell of raw, unburnt fuel was enough to kill a bear.
So much for being fuel efficient. Funny thing is, these cars ran best on prem. fuel, yet were marketed and priced as the intro level Volvo's.

crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: meep

the I6 4.0 always sounded like the battery was dying, but it gets honorable mention.

We have had a bunch of those. They always turned over pretty slow but it doesn't take much to get them to run. My 2000 has cranked slower than normal until I replaced the battery cables. Still slow, though.

My Merc 300D starter sounds pretty nice. Believe it's a direct drive. Also doesn't crank all that long before it's running.

It's hard, mentally, to separate the starter noise from the resultant idle when both are pleasant.
wink.gif

I love the sound of an old small-block Chevy especially when paired with a Powerglide - when they're cranked off a full battery they've been described as going 'Voo Voo Voo ...' and when the battery's flat they go 'Wow ... wow ... wow ...'. If you're lucky it'll start before getting to 'k-k-k-k-k', the death-rattle of the solenoid.

Once it starts you hear the happy whine of the torque converter along with the clicking of the lifters until they pump up.

I always thought the old Mopar starters sounded weird - they were geared really low, and went something like 'gang gang gang gang'.

70s Mitsus (Dodge Colts) sounded like crickets.

What an obscure thread ... only on BITOG!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: meep

We have had a bunch of those. They always turned over pretty slow but it doesn't take much to get them to run. My 2000 has cranked slower than normal until I replaced the battery cables. Still slow, though.

My favorite is the '87-'90 with the Renix FI because you get to hear that starter spin for 3 minutes before the engine fires!
grin2.gif

I think he is talking about the starter noise and not the engine sound.

The best starter noise is the one which you barely hear before the engine starts running on its own! Some engines starts within less than single crank revolution or at least it seems that way while others need few revolutions before they fire the injectors.

Ford modular is very distinctive. I lost that sound when I replaced my starter with a Duralast new starter. It's a magnificent starter that cranks faster than stock, but sounds like a Japanese car.

Denson starters, especially for Chrysler applications have a sound of their own too. Doesn't matter what engine it is on. Higher pitch, but good somehow.

I have a direct drive in my Roadmaster and Caprice. Have to love that noise.

New/rebuilt starter on a truck based LS engine. The spindown noise sounds pretty awesome.

I think the worst one is the 05 Matrix. Sounds like an old bird on it's last leg coughing and wheezing to life. It did have a warm no start issue that took two dealer trips to figure out. Always starts when cold. They did a software update and it's been fine ever since. Plus it kind of revs on the high side after starting about 1900 rpm. I don't wait for it to idle down, put it into gear and go. Rpms in drive are fine when cold.

Old Chrysler products. They were so distinctive. The sound of my childhood.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
When I'm out shopping, I like listening to different starter noises in the parking lot
cool.gif
My favorites:

- Older Toyotas and Hondas with the Denso and Mitsuba starters, respectively.
- Motorcraft starters on 2000's Ford trucks & SUVs.

You fellas have any favorites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back