Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing, really...except explain to people unfamiliar with trailers why, in many cases,, the only viable choise for tires are the China bombs.
frown.gif

FWIW I have a utility trailer that never gets loaded heavy and has 15" tires. I'll replace them with either car tires or trailer tires, whichever is cheaper and not made in China. The big thing with trailers is the sway caused by sidewalls flexing. If you're not pulling anything heavy, car tires work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Nothing, really...except explain to people unfamiliar with trailers why, in many cases,, the only viable choise for tires are the China bombs.
frown.gif

I'd have to disagree with that assesment; there are commercial ribs that cover just about every trailer application from 14".

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Just so everyone understands:

ST tires have as part of the tire standard a speed limitation of 65 mph. As a tire engineer, I take that to mean that the load/speed/inflation pressure relationship - the physics of the situation - mean the tire is bound by the laws of physics to 65 mph and the load table as published.

HOWEVER, I am willing to concede that a tire manufacturer COULD produce a tire that has a higher speed capability than the standards call for.

So, yes, I think that trailer tires are unsafe at speeds above 65 mph unless the inflation pressure and loads to adjusted according to the tire standard - AND - the buying public is ill served by this situation.

The Carlisle HD I'm looking into has an M (81 MPH) speed rating. I don't tow at 80 but do regularly at 70.

Photo and info on Discount Tire site.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
The Carlisle HD I'm looking into has an M (81 MPH) speed rating. I don't tow at 80 but do regularly at 70.

Which size specifically?

I can find no mention of the Carlisle HD outside of the listing on Discount/Americas Tire, and the discussion here (not even anything on the Carlstar site).

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
frown.gif

I'd have to disagree with that assesment; there are commercial ribs that cover just about every trailer application from 14".

A "commercial rib" tire in a 225/75R15E? Or 205/75R14D? Or a load range D 13" tire?

Which size specifically?

I can find no mention of the Carlisle HD outside of the listing on Discount/Americas Tire, and the discussion here (not even anything on the Carlstar site).

225 75R 15 E

Which size specifically?

225 75R 15 E

Can still find no information showing that tires even exists, let alone that their M speed rating is accurate.

With that said, I think you'd be better served with something like the Maxxis above in 225/70R15C.

2,469lb. max load
65 PSI
R speed rating (106MPH)

It does exist, used to be fairly common on campers.

Also note: NONE of the tires in the lenk can legally replace even a load range D 225/75R15 tire! (2540lbs) The same size in E range is rated for 2830lbs.

A 10K gross toyhauler.

Did some more looking and those tire specs/speed rating are indeed legit. However, I'd still go with a commercial rib.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

You're not understanding: he CANNOT go with a commercial rib tire! It isn't rated for the weight! The ONLY available load range E 15" tires are ST tires!

You throw around the words legally and cannot, which are entirely meaningless in this context; the man can do as he pleases.

Stop blindly reading spec sheets, Jarlaxle. Can you even tell me if the last tire you linked to is a bias or radial?

These big trailers running on 15's are probably the most synonymous with "china bombs".

I know what his trailer weighs.
I know what commercial ribs in 15" can handle.
I've been unambiguous as to what I'd purchase.

Some trailers run TRULY weird sizes: ST185/80D13 load range D, anyone?

I have those on my travel trailer. No room for 14 or 15 inch tires. I run the Maxxis 8008 tires.
I inflate them to max, and i have gone over 65.

You throw around the words legally and cannot, which are entirely meaningless in this context; the man can do as he pleases.

...right up until a tire fails, he crashes, and he loses everything because a sharp lawyer realized his tires weren't rated for the trailer's weight!

Quote:
Stop blindly reading spec sheets, Jarlaxle. Can you even tell me if the last tire you linked to is a bias or radial?

Stop being a condescending twerp. All Interco Trailer Trac tires are radials.

Quote:
These big trailers running on 15's are probably the most synonymous with "china bombs".

I know what his trailer weighs.
I know what commercial ribs in 15" can handle.
I've been unambiguous as to what I'd purchase.

Then you are suggesting he overload the tires. You're as bad as the fools that put P-metric tires on a 2500-series pickup.

It is actually quite simple: the only 15" tire rated for the requires weight is an ST225/75R15E. (Not sure anyone still makes one, but an ST225/75D15E would also work.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back