Can you live without credit cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I can, but why would I?

I use credit cards for convenience mainly. Less pocket change, easier tracking of expenses, etc.

Exactly. Pay the card off every week, avoid interest charges. I rarely carry large amounts of cash and usually do not have my check book with me. Down to 4-6 checks a month now.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

(I had to separate the quotes because the quoting feature was messing up who said what.)
The nature of most of those articles/papers that I’ve seen seem to indicate that there is a statistical correlation between the paying with a credit card and increased spending – association not causation (see ice cream and drowning – you can check that one in “the googles” as you put it). In other words people’s make a (likely theorized subconscious) decision is to spend more since a plastic card is not a tangible dollar bill. That’s what I would call a “need to control one’s spending”.
21.gif
You can say it’s how the mind operates, I would say it’s how some people’s mind operate and it’s a behavior that can be unconditioned if someone operates that way.
As an aside, gas stations in NJ are all full service and there is often a discount for cash versus credit, where the attendee will swipe a cash card and collect from you at your car window, no need to go inside - the consumer should do the math.
You can do your own experiment to see if you spend less with cash. I've done it. I spend less. And I don't buy much junk in the first place. Avg what you've spent in local stores for the last few months and get that much cash out and test it for a couple months.

No I'll pass. The variability in spending month over month is enough to throw off any analysis over a couple of months (ie car insurance payments made twice a year, auto parts purchase now that the weather is warm here, etc.). Plus exclusively only using cash would mean no AAP coupon codes when I buy those parts, or buying stuff on Amazon would be impossible and a few items would need to be purchased at local speciality stores for around twice the cost. No need to burn money (cash back and discounts) on an experiment.
I understand you wouldn't want to prove yourself wrong so excuses must be made. I thought I was pretty clear with "in local stores." That means trips to Lowes, Walmart, Best Buy etc. Of course you'd use AAP coupon codes for things you know you need at AAP. And you can shop on Amazon. The results are so apparent you don't need scientific experiments. You'll be dragging less stuff home.

Not quite - just like AAP, I'd buy online and pick up in store at Home Depot, Walmart, etc. and pick up the additional cash back through sites like Ebates or Fat Wallet. I have no need to waste my time wandering around a brick and mortar and then going to another to compare prices when I can do that online and pick up in store, or cross check with Amazon and buy there.

If it works for you that's great, glad it helped you reign in what you were spending with plastic, but my local spending consists of groceries not junk I found at the most recent store I walked past.

By using cash you're actually losing out. You see, Visa & MC charge 1-2% to retailers like Walmart whenever someone swipes a card. This expense is passed onto all consumers, including cash payers. As a CC user, at least you're recovering this expense in the form of cash back rewards.

The only time I intentionally pay cash is at gas stations that offer a large discount for cash.

Also it's hard to travel with cash only. In particular, renting a car and booking a hotel

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
I've never owned a credit card,ever.

I do however use a debit card.

Nobody owns a credit card, they own you.
grin.gif

I was like that for a while (debit card only) till my brother had his checking account (and associated savings account) linked to his debt card emptied. He had 5-6 checks that bounced before it was straighted out, and he spent a lot of time getting it straighted out.
While he was not financially responsible for what was fraudulently charged, it was a major pain in the rear when it happened.

I rarely use my debit card now (mainly if I need cash back).
I have 2 credit cards (both of which I pay in full every 2 weeks), one is my daily spending card (I usually get a free 20-40 gallons of gas every month from rewards on it) and I have a online only card that gives me 2% on all purchases (5% on certain sites) that I get about $100 a year with. I keep them separate to reduce the chance of fraud (they both allow me to send myself e-mail alerts any time the card is used).

Originally Posted By: blupupher

I was like that for a while (debit card only) till my brother had his checking account (and associated savings account) linked to his debt card emptied. He had 5-6 checks that bounced before it was straighted out, and he spent a lot of time getting it straighted out.
While he was not financially responsible for what was fraudulently charged, it was a major pain in the rear when it happened.

The risk of debit card fraud is very real, and since it's your money, you're the one who has to make the effort to sort out the fraud.

When my bank sends me a debit card, I cancel it and have them send an ATM card. I have 0 debit cards

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
By using cash you're actually losing out. You see, Visa & MC charge 1-2% to retailers like Walmart whenever someone swipes a card. This expense is passed onto all consumers, including cash payers. As a CC user, at least you're recovering this expense in the form of cash back rewards.

The only time I intentionally pay cash is at gas stations that offer a large discount for cash.

Also it's hard to travel with cash only. In particular, renting a car and booking a hotel
That's true that retailers charge all customers for people using CC. But using a CC to chase that lost money is like jumping out of the pan and into the fire. People paying with cards spend an avg 10-12% more overall than their cash counterparts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xfactor9

That's true that retailers charge all customers for people using CC. But using a CC to chase that lost money is like jumping out of the pan and into the fire. People paying with cards spend an avg 10-12% more overall than their cash counterparts.

Right, you're playing around with averages. Those studies are probably flawed because it's hard to do a controlled blind study comparing cash to credit. In each case, the study recipient knows what they're using. For 2/3's of the people, credit cards are bad, the other 1/3 who pay them off, they're good. The other 2/3 are subsidizing the other 1/3. And the cash payers are also subsidizing the credit card users. So on average, they're bad for the average user. But if you skew toward the other end of the bell curve, it's actually a pretty good deal. You just have to be smart enough to take advantage of it. You can lead someone to water, but you can't make them think.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

For 2/3's of the people, credit cards are bad, the other 1/3 who pay them off, they're good. The other 2/3 are subsidizing the other 1/3. And the cash payers are also subsidizing the credit card users. So on average, they're bad for the average user. But if you skew toward the other end of the bell curve, it's actually a pretty good deal. You just have to be smart enough to take advantage of it. You can lead someone to water, but you can't make them think.

Pretty much. Life is good for the 1/3 of us.
11.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Right, you're playing around with averages. Those studies are probably flawed because it's hard to do a controlled blind study comparing cash to credit. In each case, the study recipient knows what they're using. For 2/3's of the people, credit cards are bad, the other 1/3 who pay them off, they're good. The other 2/3 are subsidizing the other 1/3. And the cash payers are also subsidizing the credit card users. So on average, they're bad for the average user. But if you skew toward the other end of the bell curve, it's actually a pretty good deal. You just have to be smart enough to take advantage of it. You can lead someone to water, but you can't make them think.

This is one of the few times I wish this site had a "like" or "thanks" button. I totally agree with this.

As said before, if your smart with your credit cards, you can come out ahead. Pay them off each month, watch what you spend, stay within your means, find a good rewards program and you can end up better off than paying with cash only.

Wolf, I think your being generous with 1/3. Pretty much every

I just took a quick look at that article hatt posted. It appears that the credit card willingness to pay premium largely arises when the market value of the good is unknown. That makes a lot of sense.

Credit cards reduce transaction risk by providing a warranty and fraud protection. With reduced risk, people are more willing to pull the trigger. I am not sure this is a bad thing. Otherwise, we would all be better off with more fraud.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

Credit cards reduce transaction risk by providing a warranty and fraud protection. With reduced risk, people are more willing to pull the trigger. I am not sure this is a bad thing. Otherwise, we would all be better off with more fraud.

Good point. Problem with looking for just one cause for a given effect is that it may be too simplistic and doesn't tell the whole story. When a cc warranty doubles your warranty it can surly make that purchase more tenable. Of course a percentage of folks do buy things on credit that they can't afford. But it is difficult to get that exact number.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: VeeDubb

Good point. Problem with looking for just one cause for a given effect is that it may be too simplistic and doesn't tell the whole story. When a cc warranty doubles your warranty it can surly make that purchase more tenable. Of course a percentage of folks do buy things on credit that they can't afford. But it is difficult to get that exact number.

Yep. I also use a credit card not just for the warranty but also for the ability to cancel the transaction easily if things don't go well; I.e. the product or service isn't as promised. This is really important when traveling and you deal with businesses you have no experience with.

I can and do live without credit cards. Absolutely zero desire to have one either. I pay for everything with cash or checks. I am constantly getting stuck in checkout lines behind people using credit cards and it drives me insane. They go through like 4 different cards and every last one of them is declined. Cashier asks if they have cash and they stare as if the word cash isn't even in their vocabulary. Then they do the walk of shame to put everything back after wasting everyones time in line. Sometimes it's for something that's 5 or 10 bucks... seriously? you don't have 10 dollars on you to pay for something??? It's no wonder why so many people are in debt! Put it on the card who cares
eek.gif

I pay with cash at checkouts and do NOT hold up any lines (you're really reaching there... I don't see anyone using checks at a checkout anymore haha). Checks I use for utility bills and such. It's really not that difficult to count out the cash when someone gives you a total... in fact it's quicker than swiping a card (or 4) and signing your name.

Originally Posted By: 137_Trenton
It's really not that difficult to count out the cash when someone gives you a total... in fact it's quicker than swiping a card (or 4) and signing your name.

I rarely see any lines wait bc of a bad credit card..it does happen though. I have seen old ladies take 2 minutes fumbling through their purse for change.

Again..welcome to 2000+ Most places you don't even sign..swipe and go. Maybe you are thinking of the times when each cashier entered your cc# and then compared the number to bogus cards?

Counting money takes far, far longer than swiping a card, both for the shopper and the cashier. The chip cards may change that, though. Chip readers take an inexcusably long time to even realize a card has been inserted, much less process the transaction. The technology will improve, surely.

Edit: I don't have a credit card, only my bank card. I haven't carried cash for years. Hate the stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back