Can you live without credit cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Chasing the cash back and points will bite you in the butt eventually. It isn't worth playing their game. They are not going to loose money by letting you use their money. It will always cost you.

The problem here is that you have a forest and trees problem. In the aggregate, about 2/3's of the people carry a balance. Those are the ones the credit card companies are targeting. The other 1/3 that pay off their balance every month are the ones they refer to as deadbeats. If you are disciplined to pay off your credit card every month, you can take advantage of their system. They do lose money by letting you use their money. To them it's a numbers game, a certain number of people they'll make a lot of money on, some they will make a little and some they will lose a little. But overall, they'll make money. That's the nature of business. No business is ever batting 1000. Most people just don't really understand it so they think something else is up. They don't actually lose that much money anyway, it's the merchant that pays a percentage per transaction. It's actually the people who pay cash who are subsidizing those that use credit.

You can think you are going to be on the winning end all you want but all it takes is one time for something bad to happen and all that money you made is gone in a flash. One way or another everyone with succumb to an impulse and wind up on the loosing end. Might not happen with credit cards but it will happen in some way shape or form. It is a multi billion dollar industry to figure out how to separate people from their money. No one is immune. Life happens.

The 100% fool proof way to never loose money to a credit card company is to never have a credit card.

I have tried to play the game and lost. Luckily I wasn't in that deep. My wife kept insisting on playing the game till one day she looked and saw that the credit card bill was bigger than what was in the checking account. We had the money in savings to cover it but that was all it took to convince her.

Now if I could just get those losers to stop calling me to reduce my credit card interest when I have no credit cards or debt other than the mortgage life would be good.
A lot of people here think they're superhuman and not subject to basic human instinct and tendencies. For almost all people, having a credit/debit card means you will spend more money on average than people using cash. Card companies had a genius idea to send people a little money back at the end of the year to keep them engaged in the process. It's little different than the IRS sending you back a little of your own money at the end of the year. The scheme keeps the majority of people happy because they don't really understand what's going on.

Quote:
Chasing the cash back and points will bite you in the butt eventually....

Perhaps IF one doesn't or can't pay off the balance each month. However, if one does and you use the CC judiciously and with common sense, not really.

To answer the question, sure I could, but I've found more reasons to use them then not. Keep track of expenses, pay once a month and get a cash back bonus on purchases I make anyway. It's like they are paying me to use it, why wouldn't I use a CC. Plus there is purchase protection built into CC use.

Could I use cash only? Sure. Do I want to? No.

Been using credit cards and paying the balance off in full since 1993.

Its called common sense and discipline.

The only times it has bit me, if you want to call it that, is I've had fraud on two different cards, and one of those multiple times. In all cases, as soon as it was reported, it was removed and I was liable for nothing. I've had the same issue with a debit card from the same provider. I prefer the fraud come out of the credit card and then its never left my bank account before being dealt with.

In the end, I'll take the rebates I get, the 5% off, etc... Its all things I would buy anyways.

hatt and jhellwig - sorry, but I guess I'm superhuman. I've never paid a dime of CC interest, never paid a dime for fraud, and have collected thousands of dollars in cashback and miles/points bonuses. I am not your typical American consumer, though, and am disciplined enough to have savings and retirement funds. Your typical paycheck to paycheck American is likely to "fall victim" (ha) to CC use.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I guess you're not going to do any research on the subject.

Gas is a good cash back option. You have to buy gas, and you have to have a card to pay at the pump. Walking around inside the Walmart, supermarket, mall, restaurant, not so much.

If I'm going to Walmart or any other store, I already know what I'm going to buy before I walk in the store. I go in, grab the items I was planning on getting and nothing more, pay for them with a credit card, and leave. To me, spending money is spending money, $10 is $10, doesn't matter if I pay with cash or a credit card. It's all the same to me. Some people may be different psychologically, thinking "I'll pay for this later when the credit card bill comes," but when I'm buying something, I'm thinking, "I'm paying for this right NOW, using my credit card." Psychologically, my money is already gone at that moment, the same as it would be with cash. Maybe I'm different from most others, maybe not. But I've never once paid a penny in credit card interest.

You can think you are going to be on the winning end all you want but all it takes is one time for something bad to happen and all that money you made is gone in a flash. One way or another everyone with succumb to an impulse and wind up on the loosing end. Might not happen with credit cards but it will happen in some way shape or form. It is a multi billion dollar industry to figure out how to separate people from their money. No one is immune. Life happens.

The 100% fool proof way to never loose money to a credit card company is to never have a credit card.

I have tried to play the game and lost. Luckily I wasn't in that deep. My wife kept insisting on playing the game till one day she looked and saw that the credit card bill was bigger than what was in the checking account. We had the money in savings to cover it but that was all it took to convince her.

Now if I could just get those losers to stop calling me to reduce my credit card interest when I have no credit cards or debt other than the mortgage life would be good.

You are falling into the trap thinking that because it happened to you, it will happen to everyone else. Remember it's 2/3 of the people who carry a balance. You probably fall into that group or are close to falling into that group. I've gone decades without paying any interest. The other 1/3 who pay off their balance every month are doing fine. Not everyone who drinks alcohol becomes an alcoholic. But there are many alcoholics out there.

Anybody who is shopping reward credit cards for their rewards and comparing 1.75% vs 2% cashback is probably a cheapskate and not in danger of overspending. The people who are in danger of overspending are those who don't pay attention to the details and just want want to extend credit limit.

So yeah, credit cards are probably dangerous for the average person. But the average person doesn't have a credit score of 800+ and can get 2% cash back credit cards or pay them off fully every month. For those in that demographic, they should definitely be using credit cards. Not doing so is leaving money on the table.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
hatt and jhellwig - sorry, but I guess I'm superhuman. I've never paid a dime of CC interest, never paid a dime for fraud, and have collected thousands of dollars in cashback and miles/points bonuses. I am not your typical American consumer, though, and am disciplined enough to have savings and retirement funds. Your typical paycheck to paycheck American is likely to "fall victim" (ha) to CC use.

Exactly. I can't remember not using CC's for almost everything. I paid interest one time..like $6 bc I forgot to pay the bill on time. For decades its automatic pay. I have had one fraud in 30+ years and that was painless for me.

Not using CC's is like going to the Bank like you did 30 years ago to pay your electric bill. Or going to the bank to buy savings bonds. Those that do probably there on a horse and buggy. I use my card for at least $10 per year. I'll take the cash back

The key to not getting fraud is to minimumize the number of times you have to hand someone your card. Therefore I usually pay cash at a restaurant. IO will also pay cash at mom and pop stores to save them the CC fee. Also I buy cards at our church to use at the local grocery so the church gets 5% on that money.

Last edited:

You are falling into the trap thinking that because it happened to you, it will happen to everyone else. Remember it's 2/3 of the people who carry a balance. You probably fall into that group or are close to falling into that group. I've gone decades without paying any interest. The other 1/3 who pay off their balance every month are doing fine. Not everyone who drinks alcohol becomes an alcoholic. But there are many alcoholics out there.

Exactly. This is a great test of whether a person should use cash or credit. Does the person carry a balance? If yes, get rid of the cards. If no, go get the rewards.

You've also ignored my entire argument and are posting about stuff I'm not arguing. The argument is about whether or not you're saving money overall by using credit cards with cash back. Most people are not. And we're discussing people who pay off balances at the end of the month. Clearly, people with balances are taking a beating. Do you care to address the subject matter?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They're getting ready to do away with cash and put a barcode on your wrist. They'll be able to monitor your every transaction and take money out of your account whenever they want to. Protest the government ? They'll take money out or your account or shut you down entirely.

Don't worry. They won't get rid of cash. Too many politicians still buy stuff they don't want their wife, mistress or constituency to know about
thumbsup2.gif
. Rest easy my friend.

To boost my CC security I bumped my PIN to 5 digits and for online purchases I use mostly my Ubuntu machine or my Blackberry in the private browser and on a secured network. Never on a public network or someone else's computer. Works well for me so far.
I also avoid sites that do not accept paypal. If I have to use a site where I need to enter my information, I always use a secured machine (usually my Ubuntu) and my network.

Last edited:
I use a chromebook in guest mode so I'm with ya. But I'm also not that worried anymore about my credit card number getting jacked. It happens every time I travel internationally. But my credit card company just issues a new card, cancels the charges, no questions asked.

You've also ignored my entire argument and are posting about stuff I'm not arguing. The argument is about whether or not you're saving money overall by using credit cards with cash back. Most people are not. And we're discussing people who pay off balances at the end of the month. Clearly, people with balances are taking a beating. Do you care to address the subject matter?

Sure.

I have no idea, as I do not have years of spending cash only vs years of spending via CC. So there is no data specific to my use.

You can find studies for the public in general, and I bet you'll find ones that say CCs increase spending and others that say they have no effect. I really comes down to the person. If you have no money, then yes a CC is the only way to spend more than that! If you have the money, it seems less likely that you would spend more no matter the payment method.

e.g. - I think coffee shops are overpriced. I do not buy overpriced coffee despite owning many CCs. I know money is money. Its fungible. Many don't get that. Its why I hate being given "gift cards" for gifts. I'd rather have the cash and spend it where I want, via CC and earn cashback too.

They're getting ready to do away with cash and put a barcode on your wrist. They'll be able to monitor your every transaction and take money out of your account whenever they want to. Protest the government ? They'll take money out or your account or shut you down entirely.
+1 !!!

Yeah, I'm apathetic and I don't care.

You have no idea how much control they'll have over you when cash goes away.
People like being controlled. The government is our lord it will feed us and protect us!

I do not have a credit card. Have not had one since 2012.

While it's unclear what happened, exactly, I had all of my transactions for card C get issued to card B as well.

I had card A. Card A got compromised. One day I go to use my credit card and it is turned off. I call the issuing credit union and they said I should have received a new card. I did not receive a new card.

So they sent me a 3rd card, card C. I activated card C and used it for all of my normal purchases (as I have always done) and paid it off when I would get the statement - also as I have always done.

Then quite a while later I got some collections notices and late fees, interest, overage fees for a card number that was foreign to me.

I went to the bank and as we discovered, every transaction I put on card C (and paid off) also went to card B (which never got paid off).

I was fully responsible for all of the duplicate charges. That was a pretty good grab by either the CC company or the credit union. Not sure who was the benefactor of that one - but I was done with credit cards after that.

Sure.

I have no idea, as I do not have years of spending cash only vs years of spending via CC. So there is no data specific to my use.

You can find studies for the public in general, and I bet you'll find ones that say CCs increase spending and others that say they have no effect. I really comes down to the person. If you have no money, then yes a CC is the only way to spend more than that! If you have the money, it seems less likely that you would spend more no matter the payment method.

e.g. - I think coffee shops are overpriced. I do not buy overpriced coffee despite owning many CCs. I know money is money. Its fungible. Many don't get that. Its why I hate being given "gift cards" for gifts. I'd rather have the cash and spend it where I want, via CC and earn cashback too.
Seems like you should have an idea before making statements like: "Cash only people are weird, likely believe internet conspiracies and so on..."

It only takes a tiny bit of overspending or impulse purchasing to negate the benefits of cash back. And then you have to make sure to not spend your cash back on a frivolous purchase like replacing a perfectly fine grill with a new perfectly fine grill like I've seen people do.

Last edited:

I have no idea, as I do not have years of spending cash only vs years of spending via CC.
Seems like you should have an idea before making statements like: "Cash only people are weird, likely believe internet conspiracies and so on..."

Nah, I'll stick to my generalization and you can stick to yours
cheers3.gif

These CC vs cash arguments don't apply to me. I'm not a frivolous spender. It probably annoys some people around me at times, yet they all come to me for help/advice on any larger purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back