Can first use of a HM oil cause consumption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished changing the oil for my dad in his '96 Taurus (3.0 ltr). Last OC I used Mobil Drive Clean Plus HM 10w-30 and it was the first time the motor ran with a HM oil. Up till now (83,000 miles) the motor has never needed any makeup oil between 5,000 changes yet in this 3,000 mile interval it was a good 3/4 qt. low.
dunno.gif
So could it be possible the DC+ HM caused the consumption or could it just be coincidence?

I checked Wally World and a local auto supply for the Synpower additive with no luck. I was very tempted to put in a 1/2 bottle of Maxlife Oil Additive but decided against it and went with plain old Pennzoil 10w-30 dino. Oh, BTW...Pennzoil 10w-30 is as dark as Havoline 5w-20
shocked.gif
. You should have seen the look on my father's face when I was pouring in the new Pennz...he asked if I was putting oil used motor oil!

Looks like an AutoRX treatment may be in order for this car.

Pretty sure Pep Boys has the Synpower Oil Treatment too. BTW, Motorbike posted a VOA on it at this site about a month ago. Stuff looks pretty good.

As far as the oil consumption, it's possible that the seal conditioners in the HM oil had an affect on the valve stem seals. Just my guess as to why makeup oil would be required.

I ran the Synpower oil treatment in the 15oz. bottle & liked it. Per the thread on the VOA board, it has 234 ppm Moly, 289 ppm Boron, and a healthy quantity of Phos & Zinc.

The polybutene carrier is like a heavy syrup & will pump up the viscosity rating of whatever oil is being run.

I think half a 15 oz. bottle at the initial fill and the rest at mid OCI is a good plan.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Agree with Yannis . Not much difference in the Noack of the OTC SL GF-3 oils if someone is thinking it burned off .

There even is not much Noack difference in the better dino's vs some of the OTC synthetics , depending what viscosity compared too .

Curious as to what oil this engine has seen in it's life to include those intervals of 5k

This car has seen a mix of motor ols, almost all dino. The predominant choice was usually Castrol GTX with a couple no name, house brand .49 cent/qt. intervals, World Supertechs, Pennzoil and one or two Havoline intervals as the most recent choice. All have been 5w-30 except for this last Mobil HM 10w-30 and one Supertech Blend HM 10w-30 over a year ago.

So if concensus is the MDC+ HM did in fact start the consumption would it be a good thing to continue with this, or any HM oil with the hope its extra cleaning/conditioning will eventually rectify the problem? Or, is an autoRX treatment highly adviseable?

Thanks for the advise gang
cheers.gif

When a synthetic or in your case a HM(high milage) oil with nice cleaning properties is used in an engine which in its entire life saw only dino, increased consumption may occur.
This consumtion subsides in the following changes.

quote:

Originally posted by yannis:
When a synthetic or in your case a HM(high milage) oil with nice cleaning properties is used in an engine which in its entire life saw only dino, increased consumption may occur.
This consumtion subsides in the following changes.

I'm hoping that this is the case. I am on my first interval of synthetic (GC) after 25,000 miles of dino oil. I never had any comsumption before on dino and now have some using GC. The only other thing that changed other than the synthetic oil is that driving style of the vehicle has changed from a mix of mostly city driving and little highway driving to mainly (99%) highspeed long distant drives. So I guess it is hard to place blame on the synthetic oil (unless I go back to dino and see the consumption stop).

Mike ,

I'd stick with the Mobil HM for more intervals . I feel certain it will do some cleaning .

A 10yr old but low mile 3.0 Ford we bought for the Daughter used more Mobil 1 10w-30 in 4k miles than it did Citgo Ultra Life 10w-30 HM in a 7200 mile interval later on .

It now consumes zero Mobil 1 .

If this was any other oil other than Mobil High milage i would say it was just a coincidence. Mobil Drive clean had the highest evaporation rate of any major brand 5w30 and 10w30 I tested. I doubt there is any difference in the base stock of the Mobil high milage and regular drive clean. I would drain this oil out and go with Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 and see for yourself if it makes a difference in your oil consumption, I'll bet it does! My second choice would be Havoline High milage if you can find it in your area. Mikep, you're in NJ also, Advanced Auto Parts has both of these products.

[ September 12, 2004, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: The Oil Expert ]

quote:

Originally posted by The Oil Expert:
If this was any other oil other than Mobil High milage i would say it was just a coincidence. Mobil Drive clean had the highest evaporation rate of any major brand 5w30 and 10w30 I tested. I doubt there is any difference in the base stock of the Mobil high milage and regular drive clean. I would drain this oil out and go with Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 and see for yourself if it makes a difference in your oil consumption, I'll bet it does! My second choice would be Havoline High milage if you can find it in your area. Mikep, you're in NJ also, Advanced Auto Parts has both of these products.

Yes I think Advance Auto has the Havoline HM oils. The car is good for another 3,000 miles since I just dropped 5 qt.s of Pennz 10w-30 in it yesterday. I may ask good ol' dad to bring it by and put some Synpower oil Treatment in it about half way through the change.

So Havoline HM or Citgo Ultralife HM....which one?

Agree with Yannis . Not much difference in the Noack of the OTC SL GF-3 oils if someone is thinking it burned off .

There even is not much Noack difference in the better dino's vs some of the OTC synthetics , depending what viscosity compared too .

Curious as to what oil this engine has seen in it's life to include those intervals of 5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back