Can bad gas cause this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Saturday I filled up my Yugo, about 5 gallons of premium (car calls for 89) in my 8 gallon tank, on a not nice section of Woodward ave. Car drove fine after this, ran flat out perfectly, started easy, etc.

Sunday it was misbehaving, acted like it was cold when it wasn't. Bucking, missing, etc. A few miles later it gave up completely. I checked the ignition system over to find the coil to distributor wire had backed out of the coil, it was covered in evidence of arcing. After plugging it back in I had a very weak, orange spark.

A new coil was installed, now I had a hot white spark. Car still wouldn't start, but would cough and sputter. We tried starting fluid, no help. Ignition timing should be good, distributor hasn't moved. Cam timing is spot on. Had it flatbedded home.

I thought maybe I had fouled the plugs, new Bosch coppers were installed. It now would try to run. More starting attempts with a friend cranking while I played with the carb got it running, It idled as it should, and we let it warm up. Now i could roll it around the parking lot in 1st, it would take off fine, but any significant throttle input would kill it dead. Will rev in neutral all day long. Very hard to start, though it would occasionally start normally. It seemed to only fire when I let off the key.

I pulled the jets out, they were clean. Accelerator pump working. I got it running again and looked at the spray pattern from the main jet, looked like it was getting plenty of fuel. Just for fun, I pulled the fuel hose off the carb to check for flow, THE GAS THAT CAME OUT WAS DARK YELLOW. I didn't have any HEET handy, but I did have a half bottle of Marine Stabil. I poured a big dose (about 6mL) in the carb vent and it ran better, then worse after a minute.

Bad gas, right? Its the only thing I can think of. Note the ignition in this car is a electronic Bosch system, it is dumb(advance is all vacuum/mech), and it still fires hot. My timing is all correct. When it runs, it sounds fine at idle/crawl. The car ran great prior to last weekend. The whole "only fires when I let off the starter" thing makes me think I got ethanol gas that was already saturated, and the fairly open(my EVAP is deleted, the vapor hose just vents near the firewall) fuel system let more water in and now I have some extremely hard it light, slow burning fuel.

Last edited:
Yugo's are one of those cars you drive till its out of gas, then you leave next to a dumpster..
JK

Bad gas is a good possibility

I'm no huge fan of the Yugo,but I am glad to see that someone is trying to keep them alive...at least one of them,and in usable condition.Todays America would forget our automotive history if every model were extinct.The Yugo was just as important in the history of the car,as any Henry J or Rambler....it led other carmakers to introduce low end models to America (Fox,Justy,Sprint,Festiva,Excel,LeMans) or trim current models downmarket (Chrysler America series,Tercel E-Z).

How exactly shall I go about fixing this (possibly) bad gas issue? I'm at school, so I don't have a siphon hose and two jerry cans handy. Will a bottle of ISO HEET fix it?

EDIT: Regarding why I have a Yugo.
P09-25-12_14-00.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

For the lulz, why else? Somebody has to bring a Yugo to car shows. When it runs, there isn't a day that goes by that I'm not laughing my [censored] off on account of this car. It's far too much fun in the city, driving it flat out and barely going faster than traffic, listening to the roar of the little Lampredi(google if you don't know him) designed engine bouncing off buildings and other cars. It takes a lot of work to exceed the speed limit in this car. I figure 55 hp or so to the 145r13 tires with the open exhaust and emissions delete. Cruises nice up to 65-70 mph. Theoretical top speed of 90 mph.

Last edited:
I had this exact same problem with a 1979 Honda civic. Very small engine, I think it made about 70HP. It made so little HP it wasn't even legal to drive on Michigan highways. Not kidding, really. Friend my mine (who owned it) filled it up with premium.. made it home... then bam... no go. It just couldn't ignite that gasoline. Premium fuel is harder to ignite (contrary to popular belief that it's easier and more combustible). We used a spray bottle with regular gasoline, sprayed it into the intake, no problems. Started right up, would run forever like that. Drained the gas tank, put regular in it, worked great.

I have always ran it on premium, never had a problem. The owners manual actually calls for 89 octane. 9.2:1 compression, no knock sensors, carbureted. Considering how I usually drive it(flat out), I figure its easiest to not take any chances.

It sounds like you have a very large vacuum leak. I doubt bad gas would do this unless it was half water. The fact that is was premium has absolutely nothing to do with this.

The only "bad gad" I've got was filled with [censored] - I apparently bought gas right after they filled the tanks.

I had to change the fuel filter every few weeks for 2 or 3 months after that.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I'm no huge fan of the Yugo,but I am glad to see that someone is trying to keep them alive...at least one of them,and in usable condition.Todays America would forget our automotive history if every model were extinct.The Yugo was just as important in the history of the car,as any Henry J or Rambler....it led other carmakers to introduce low end models to America (Fox,Justy,Sprint,Festiva,Excel,LeMans) or trim current models downmarket (Chrysler America series,Tercel E-Z).

I saw a festiva the other day, thought it was a Yugo, cute little thing, Id buy it, I collect hotwheels lol

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The only "bad gad" I've got was filled with [censored] - I apparently bought gas right after they filled the tanks.

This is partially a myth, just saying. if its and older station, its possible, but you do know your gas youre pumping in is actually filtered twice in newer gilbarco and wayne dispensers?

Originally Posted By: Scott_Tucker
It sounds like you have a very large vacuum leak. I doubt bad gas would do this unless it was half water. The fact that is was premium has absolutely nothing to do with this.

I have checked all the hoses, carb is on tight, and it idles fine when I can get it running.

Yellow gas? That's old! This is how gas looks in my gas aging study 3-4 weeks into the study. LOL!. I used to have Yugo briefly before I totaled it, I forgot it needed premium gas. I got 30MPG in that POS city or hwy.

I would take a sample in a clear jar, see if any water settles to the bottom or if it smells like diesel.

Originally Posted By: default
THE GAS THAT CAME OUT WAS DARK YELLOW.

Most gas is almost clear.

Did someone pee in your tank?

Could also be your tank is very rusty and you need a new fuel filter, the gas would be more orange than yellow.

Last edited:
The gas smells stale, skunky. Nobody peed in my tank, locking gas cap. Im just having trouble understanding how a large does of bad gas could run fine one day and horribly the next.

Last edited:
The only "bad gas" experience I've had was in a rototiller, but your story sounds familiar. The gas had been in the rototiller for a long time. I went to rototill the garden and started the rototiller. It started fairly normally and ran reasonably OK but it wouldn't pull a load. Every time I engaged the tiller and went to rototill it would fuss and die. After trying some things, I changed the gas, that was the problem. It ran fine, and pulled a load, with the new gas.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted By: Miller88

This is partially a myth, just saying. if its and older station, its possible, but you do know your gas youre pumping in is actually filtered twice in newer gilbarco and wayne dispensers?

I worked at an interstate rest stop in a past life. One time they got a delivery and the driver hooked up from the wrong end of the storage tank and filled the truck with all sorts of [censored]. There were about 50 cars that bought the gas and plugged up their fuel system bad. A couple of them even needed new engines. The good news was that it was paid for by the gas station in our rest stop.

For a few bucks, get a long piece of tubing and siphon the gas out of the tank. Then re-fill with new gas. Get it started, and let it idle to purge the old gas out of the fuel lines.

What else can you do?

Can you start it at night and see if you have any arcing of the wires/boots/coil? Sometimes a spray bottle of water helps find the short while it's running. Just spray all the wires, etc. while it's idling.

Your fuel filter could be clogged. That's a cheap fix too. I'd change that filter out after I purged the tank.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
For a few bucks, get a long piece of tubing and siphon the gas out of the tank. Then re-fill with new gas. Get it started, and let it idle to purge the old gas out of the fuel lines.

What else can you do?

Can you start it at night and see if you have any arcing of the wires/boots/coil? Sometimes a spray bottle of water helps find the short while it's running. Just spray all the wires, etc. while it's idling.

Your fuel filter could be clogged. That's a cheap fix too. I'd change that filter out after I purged the tank.

First time someone says "bad gas" and "coughing" ... first thing I think of is clogged fuel filter. I'm sure an 80's car (even a YUGO!) has a changeable fuel filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back