02 Ford F250 sd xlt 6.8 only starts if I hold gas then dies!!

Hi my name is vert! I have a 02 ford f250 with a v10, it normally cranks with no problems and has no check engine lights on dash! I was driving up the road and it cut off as if it lost power! after trying to start it for 20 minutes it finally started only when I hold the gas to the floor but it seems as if the engine is making low power, the break is stiff, when i attempt to put it in gear it cuts off unless I give it a little gas! I replaced just about every sensor, got new alternator, new battery, new coils new fuel pump and nothing fixed the problem. can someone help me? Please

99.9 percent fuel filter. I have the same 2002 V10 truck. Same thing happening to you happened to me. Fuel filter takes ten minutes to replace, very easy. Don't need to even jack the truck up. You will want to use the eight-dollar fuel filter tool.

I would still scan the computer for any codes. By holding the gas pedal down, you are giving the engine more air. Is there black smoke coming out the exhaust? It may be getting too much gas.

so its getting fuel, air and spark, and has no codes. oooooof. this is a tough one.

I’ve scanned it and it was taken to a shop they scanned as well! No codes the abs light is the only thing on the dash that’s on

I would still scan the computer for any codes. By holding the gas pedal down, you are giving the engine more air. Is there black smoke coming out the exhaust? It may be getting too much gas.
No smoke!

Whoa, stop throwing parts at it.

What happens if you unplug MAF?

What is actual fuel pressure? I think '02 still got a Schraeder valve? If not a scanner will tell you in live data as FRP (fuel rail pressure).

Whoa, stop throwing parts at it.

What happens if you unplug MAF?

What is actual fuel pressure? I think '02 still got a Schraeder valve? If not a scanner will tell you in live data as FRP (fuel rail pressure).
It cuts off! Pressure in the fuel rail is good also

I would start by cleaning the MAF sensor. Also, do a wiggle test on the harness. Have an assistant try to start the engine while you wiggle wires.

My daughter's Edge had similar symptoms to your F250 a couple of years ago, and it turned out to be the ABS module/controller, whatever it's called. Once that was replaced, all was well.

The “only runs if you keep your foot on the gas” part makes me think IAC valve. I had that problem on my 2000 Lincoln town car with the related 4.6 L V8. I was able to clean it, so replacing it may not be necessary.

Back