Buying straight crude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: mmavet
BP paved the Gulf of Mexico with a few million gallons...business as usual in America.
Are you aware of how much crude seeps naturally into the Gulf?

And are you aware the large volcano on Antarctica puts more CO2 into the air each day than we are releasing.
Do you understand the FIRST word in "BP" is "BRITISH"?
+1

If you've ever even smelled raw crude, you know its a soda-pop of dissolved gasses including hydrogen sulfide, sulfur dioxide, and other nasties. Nevermind the aromatic liquid fractions.

Not the kind of thing you want just sitting on a garage shelf!

My grandfather's farm in north-central Ohio had a producing oil well on it. Dad used to get a gallon of crude by opening the pump priming valve. We used it to start cooking fires. The crude was good for that. The lighter fractions would ignite immediately and get the fire going, and the heavier fractions would burn longer to keep the fire going. Just a few ounces were necessary per fire, and a gallon of crude would last nearly all year.

440Magnum,

I was wondering if it would be any more dangerous than having 89 Octane in a jerry can or a bottle of used oil. We typically keep these two items in the shop or in a shed- so just wonder how straight petroleum could be more dangerous.

kschachn,

What an ugly thing to say? Does this mean we are not friends? If you werent my friend kschachn, I just dont think I could bear it.

I see an add for 100% straight crude oil from Pennsylvania. It is labeled as scalp treatment. I do not understand, as this seems like a lawsuit. Take this here petroleum and put it on your head. Are they for real? Or is this like selling brass knuckles as paper weights? Or buying a collectible carrying case and getting a free fifth of Crown Royal (heard this when I was a minor).

I would think the stuff would destroy you as they say used oil will. I could be wrong, but it DOES seem you would NOT want to apply it directly to the scalp.

I do want a bottle as a keepsake and another to basically play with, or analyze. Like treating metals with it, pouring it on newspaper and lighting it, etc, and other stuff I might think up.

Thanks to all who aren't being hateful about asking about petroleum on an oil board!

A pint for about $17 on Amazon. I guess I will call around to local oil suppliers. I have no credit, so no internet deals. But thanks for the insult, I mean, you are 100% sure. I guess you thought so....funny how you can make yourself believe that you know something without a doubt over a forum post. I really dislike people like you. Take something pure like math and molest it into fitting your agenda and create lies out of it to hurt the Earth and the life on it. And you are coming up on ten years as a member of this site. I kind of held all the older members dear here, but not you, not now.......this wouldnt seem so bad from a newer member as this site has been cascading in a downward spiral for a while now. It used to be clean and concise, it still is but you have to wade through all the muck from people like you useing math to show that they are one hundred and ten percent without a doubt positively absolutely sure of something they know next to nothing about. It is sad.

Isnt there always that little bit of unknown? That is why, I gather, even after countless engineers spend countless hours thinking up all of the possibilities, they still send Chuck Yeager into flight as a test pilot. I bet they werent 100% sure of the outcome....yet you are!
Good-bye!

Dont get snarky with me JHZR2. You are completely welcome to not respond if you are just going to spread hate and affliction.

As per the thread topic, I am not looking for some cream or whatever you are a peddling from the pharmacy. I would like unrefined petroleum. It can be from the Middle East, Texas, Pennsylvania, or the Gulf of Mexico or wearever(brake plug) I am not really sure, but it would be neat to get a quart or two from each of the above places to do my own studies of the various geologies from different parts of the planet.

What is your problem? You are a founding member here, it really seems to me you should be more A helpful, B kind, C as interested in the stuff this website specializes in.

Again, just put me on ignore or dont post in the topics I create if you are going to act as juvenile, immature, and just downright stupid and hateful. Really, you could have gotten by with one measley post less. 36692 versus the 36693 you have.

For your knowledge, I hate dishing out attacks even if necessary or warranted, but you need some correction Sir!

I got a couple samples of crude oil when I was out in western Canada visiting a number of years back. Petro-Canada was kind enough to fill a couple small bottles for me to take home. It does smell really strong, alot like diesel fuel actually but with other smells mixed in.

Originally Posted By: weasley
I have no idea where you can get crude oil from, but yes, there are numerous hazards associated with it, including flammability, toxicity and carcinogenicity.

Are you mistaken? I saw an ad on Amazon that stated 100% Pennsylvania crude, but it was for applying to your hair. So is penn crude different, or is it not real 100% crude oil, or what?

Maybe like this wax i have. It says 100% carnauba blend.

On a side note, I guess it is inappropriate to say we are going to get a tank of gas (or gasoline). Do we call it "fuel" now that most contains ethanol alcohol?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Are you mistaken? I saw an ad on Amazon that stated 100% Pennsylvania crude, but it was for applying to your hair. So is penn crude different, or is it not real 100% crude oil, or what?

100% Pennsylvania Crude could mean that it's sourced from 100% Pennsyvalia crude (i.e. fractionated from it) not that it's 100% of the composition of Pennsylvania Crude.

No, not a play on words to deceive...like something that's 100% durham wheat is unlikely to comprise the entire plant, leave's stalks and all.

Originally Posted By: weasley
I have no idea where you can get crude oil from, but yes, there are numerous hazards associated with it, including flammability, toxicity and carcinogenicity.

Are you mistaken?

No, I'm not. Off the top of my head, crude contains:

Heavy metals.
Benzene and derivatives, including phenol and toluene.
Polyaromatic, polycyclic and heterocyclic molecules.
Sulfur and mercaptan species.
Acids.
Volatile hydrocarbon components.
...and so on.

You wouldn't catch me putting that on my scalp, or anywhere else for that matter.

Dont get snarky with me JHZR2. You are completely welcome to not respond if you are just going to spread hate and affliction.

What is your problem? You are a founding member here, it really seems to me you should be more A helpful, B kind, C as interested in the stuff this website specializes in.

Again, just put me on ignore or dont post in the topics I create if you are going to act as juvenile, immature, and just downright stupid and hateful. Really, you could have gotten by with one measley post less. 36692 versus the 36693 you have.

For your knowledge, I hate dishing out attacks even if necessary or warranted, but you need some correction Sir!

I don't know how to say this except that the comments in your post are serious delusion. None of his remarks were anything like what you are claiming.

Okay. I know a guy in Texas who showed me a webpage that ships. Almost perfect.

Perfect would be getting local oil, but I dont guess it makes too much of a difference. It comes from a Permian Basin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back