Buying online and getting a returned product

Recently picked up a Dewalt 20V vacuum at a big box. Since they were not locked up, I could choose which of the 2 to buy. I noticed that 1/2 didn't have a clear plastic dot/seal, so I grabbed the one with the seal.

Since I had this item in my amazon cart, I was like huh? About 4 days later, it dropped from $149.00 (same as big box, same as today), to $129, and had a $20 coupon, net $109.

So I said I'll take that, $40 price drop, nice. And I'll return the other, I have not opened yet.

It comes from amazon, and I'm immediately suspicious, no seal.

I open the box and get the distinct feeling this was a return, but am looking for 100% confirmation, and it's tough.

Found it. The belt clip was screwed in to the tool. The tool really didn't fit into the cardboard that holds it in place as a result, and tore that cardboard.

Would this matter to you? The vacuum itself doesn't look like it was used, just opened, and likely put back. Is this why it was $109? It was not sold as a return or warehouse deal etc. It was sold as new. The practice annoys me.

With their returns policy, I bet this happens quite a lot. And why doesn't Dewalt have a better seal to indicate if something were opened or not.

I ordered a small sump pump from Amazon . When I opened the box it was a completely different pump and had been used . Yeah , it happens all the time .
I thought DeWalt had a tamper proof seal ?

It wouldn't matter to me. If there is a problem with it, then it can be returned or exchanged.

I ordered a small sump pump from Amazon . When I opened the box it was a completely different pump and had been used . Yeah , it happens all the time .
I thought DeWalt had a tamper proof seal ?
It's just a small clear sticker. It's possible to even remove it carefully--I think Lego is like that. We got Lego once with the seal in place, and pieces were loose inside. Some products try to be like a smartphone would be, which I prefer. Now you are certain it's factory sealed.

It would bother me and I'd have to decide whether to return or not.
Used ? or box opened, then returned ? .... for a vacuum, only you can decide.
Online orders - When removing an item from its box, I check the seal on box (like OP did).
I also look for fingerprints on any parts (proof it was resold).
In stores - I never take the front item off the shelf. How many people handled it and put it back ? ? ?
How many times was it dropped on the floor.

Last edited:
I always thought there were consumer protection type laws about selling something as "new" after it's been returned. Now, returned doesn't automatically mean "used" either - someone could have bought an item and their wife didn't like the color, for example, and it never even came out of the box. Or an almost personal example is when our son bought an M18 1/2" impact and it was the HUGE version. Simply way too big for anything he'd ever need. It was never used and probably didn't even have a battery clicked on it. He returned it to HD and what did they do with it ? If they put it back on the shelf, the next buyer is going to be suspicious and rightfully so.

I always thought there were consumer protection type laws about selling something as "new" after it's been returned. Now, returned doesn't automatically mean "used" either - someone could have bought an item and their wife didn't like the color, for example, and it never even came out of the box. Or an almost personal example is when our son bought an M18 1/2" impact and it was the HUGE version. Simply way too big for anything he'd ever need. It was never used and probably didn't even have a battery clicked on it. He returned it to HD and what did they do with it ? If they put it back on the shelf, the next buyer is going to be suspicious and rightfully so.
I hear you--I don't believe the unit was ever used--I think that amazon would make it a used or warehouse deal if that were the case. The installed belt clip was my 100% proof it was taken out by someone because the clip and screw were installed on the tool. They come in a sealed bag. Looking back, I'm pretty sure my small impact was also a return!! I was suspicious at the time! That was from the blue big box, online order for pickup.

Had that happen on Amazon a couple times. I just jump on chat and tell them what happened. Once they fully refunded me and I got to keep the item. The second time I just returned it and got a $10 gift card. It's inconvenient, but happens.

It would bother me and I'd have to decide whether to return or not.
Used ? or box opened, then returned ? .... for a vacuum, only you can decide.
Online orders - When removing an item from its box, I check the seal on box (like OP did).
I also look for fingerprints on any parts (proof it was resold).
In stores - I never take the front item off the shelf. How many people handled it and put it back ? ? ?
How many times was it dropped on the floor.
In stores, whenever I touch an item, I always put it back behind the ones in front. I see you and I live in the same town!

In stores, whenever I touch an item, I always put it back behind the ones in front. I see you and I live in the same town!
I had a friend once in college. When he bought milk or eggs, he made sure to buy the ones closer to expiration. I think he took accounting and FIFO way too far!

I thought Amazon had a separate option of buying returned version of the product they are selling, at a small discount.

I thought Amazon had a separate option of buying returned version of the product they are selling, at a small discount.
Absolutely, and this was not sold as such, but had such a huge discount, they are sold out for weeks, and today, the price is now back to the same as the big box stores. Makes me wonder if they did in fact have many returns to rid themselves of, where, they determined these are not used products...once they're gone, we'll reset the price. Who knows. I have never been able to get to the bottom of amazon coupons. I've seen online a thought that they are intended to prevent cart abandonment...

When he bought milk or eggs, he made sure to buy the ones closer to expiration. I think he took accounting and FIFO way too far!
I'm the opposite. I buy milk that is the furthest from expiration. I don't drink fast enough to buy the ones that are close to expiring!

Last edited:
I'm the opposite. I buy milk that is the furthest from expiration. I don't drink fest enough to buy the ones that are close to expiring!
Me too! My wife and son eat the King's Hawaiian bread. It comes in a 2-pack at Costco for $6.59. I glance at the tiny stickers Costco has put on them, and I'll take the furthest expiration out. Interestingly, I did this yesterday, and the packages were COLD. I noticed that in the winter, and had thought this was because the bread was stored outside. Made me wonder if they are transported under refrigeration, which would add significant cost....(and I thought people say not to refrigerate bread, only freeze)

He returned it to HD and what did they do with it ? If they put it back on the shelf....
I suppose that is the inevitable result of the store's generous return policies.

I knew a guy that used to buy expensive pro-caliber video cameras and $4000 zoom lenses from B&H Photo, and then he'd take them (and use them) on a vacation, only to return them as soon as he got back home. He just laughed it off since it was 100% allowed under B&H's 30-day return policy. I don't know if they just went back into stock, or if they went into the "Used" department.

I suppose that is the inevitable result of the store's generous return policies.

I knew a guy that used to buy expensive pro-caliber video cameras and $4000 zoom lenses from B&H Photo, and then he'd take them (and use them) on a vacation, only to return them as soon as he got back home. He just laughed it off since it was 100% allowed under B&H's 30-day return policy. I don't know if they just went back into stock, or if they went into the "Used" department.
B&H was my go to pre SD v. Wayfair (when there was no tax on internet purchases).

I bought the ThinkPad that I'm typing on from them in 2015. It's a business machine that had a 3 year warranty etc., and was over $1,400.

The price dropped $80 the same week I got it, I thought oh dang. Googled and it came back they have an unofficial price drop policy for 30 days. So I called. The person I got was totally polite (they are in person I hear), and said I'll credit you, no worries. Seeing is believing so I saw nothing immediately so I wondered. A few hours later got an email. Then, in a few days, the price dropped $30. I thought wow....let me call and see. I call, same thing, said we'll refund you $30. This blew me away. He said if the price drops again, you call me again, and we refund you again. Did it 2 more times!! I absolutely would spend $4000 with them. I sorta stopped once they had to collect sales tax. They did find away around it, where if you use their credit card, they credit you in rewards for the amount of the sales tax. The only thing is with amazon I'm getting the 5% rewards, leading me there often...

p.s. any chance your friend is named Ray ******? he told me he did that hahahahahahahaha

I would contact Amazon you will most likely get some refund money.

About six months ago I bought a return Logitech mouse from Amazon, but it wasn't from Amazon Warehouse, but from a third part seller. I only buy the return from Amazon warehouse, but wife was ordering for me.
It said the condition was like new. When it arrived, it was an older model and a refurbished one at that. Contacted them and they refunded me the entire price and said to keep the mouse. I got it for free.

Contact them, you never know what you might get.

I ordered an expensive 4K Dell monitor off Amazon. Brand new, not a third party seller. The second I saw the box when I get home I knew it was bad news. Had obviously been opened and retaped. Upon opening, the monitor had cat hair on the stand. When I plugged in the monitor it flickered horribly. Amazon replaced it with no issues and so I sent the bad one back. It happens!

I knew a guy that used to buy expensive pro-caliber video cameras and $4000 zoom lenses from B&H Photo, and then he'd take them (and use them) on a vacation, only to return them as soon as he got back home. He just laughed it off since it was 100% allowed under B&H's 30-day return policy.
Most stores have added exclusions to their return policies. Things like TVs have shorter return times to avoid people buying a big TV for the Super Bowl (not too common anymore), radar detectors or dedicated GPS that someone uses for a trip to return when they're back, and so on.

Back