Burn-off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cp3

Is there something to Castrol's "better burn-off protection" statements? I had run GTX 5W30 for the first two years I've had the G6. Late last year I got 10 5L jugs of Valvoline on sale and have been running that this year. No complaints but last month I had to take two 6 hour trips and noticed that after each one, I was down a bit of oil, maybe .2 litres. The thing is I've not added a drop of oil to this car since I've been using the Valvoline.

My 06 G6 GTP burns oil as well. I think our cars have a different engine though. Yours have the 3.9?

That's the thing though, it doesn't burn oil usually. It was just just when I had those two long trips. The only other times I've had to add oil was a week after the oil change, sometimes when I was using GTX it would be down about the same amount. I've done long trips before with GTX in it and it didn't burn a drop.

TAP, I don't have the 3.9, the GT is the 3.5.

My 1996 Zetec 4 cyl Contour only "uses" oil during it's first use of Mobil 1 5W-30. Not much but some. Subsequent use of Mobil 1 reduces the usage to nil. It doesn't matter whether Mobil 1 follows convential oil or another synthetic oil. Though any other oil, either conventual or other "synthetic" oils did not cause any usuage in the 5,000 mile OCI.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back