Building a clem engine using cooking oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TommeyReed
Unlike you, I have tested output vs input of energy...

It just show me you are clueless.

I will bet you that I can create output of energy, yet you just can see it because you have no understanding of real physics as you claim to know.

Let me give you some basic course in mechanical work:

33000 rise one foot in one minute =1 hp
1 pound rise 33000 ft in one minute = 1 hp

Now lets look at simple math
If you have a total of 20lb of thrust using the jets on the drum.

The diameter, say 24" will give you a constant 20ft/lb,under a load of 1000 rpms *20/5252 = 3.8hp

If you wonder where I got the 5252 from:
24"*pi/12*5252....

To say you won't get anything out is just being a clown, and making statments that question your understanding of mechanical work!

Ah...the ad hominem criticism - "let's not debate the merits of your argument, let's just call you names to diminish your argument"...how did I know this was coming?

Never mind. I answer your question for two reasons: 1. as I said, you have my brother's name, that's endeared you to me, despite your personal attacks and 2. some other BITOGers might actually learn something...hopefully, some did during this thread, in which I tired to explain physics once before: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2218018&page=1

Here's where you're making a mistake this time: "... you a constant 20ft/lb,under a load of 1000 rpms *20/5252 = 3.8hp"...

There is no constant 20 ft/lb on your spinning drum...your drum is at a constant RPM. At a constant RPM, the torque from the oil jets will equal the torque from drag (bearings, etc) on the drum...

That torque is quite small. The NET torque is zero...so the NET horsepower is zero.

Let's talk physics for a second. Recall Newton's first law: a body in motion will stay in motion unless acted on by an outside force.

Tommy - that's your drum. Your drum has an angular velocity. When the pump first accelerates it, it's being acted upon by a net torque (the torque from the jets is greater than the opposite direction torque caused by drag). Once it's in motion, it is no longer accelerating (recall that angular acceleration is a change in rate of angular velocity).

So, there is no net torque, or the drum would continue to increase in RPM...the forces of torque from the jets and from drag have equaled out...and it continues to spin. Remove the fluid pressure (your pump) and the only force left will be the drag...the drag of accelerating the fluid to the outside of the drum, the drag of bearings, even aerodynamic drag, all of which will slow down the drum and bring it to a stop.

Q.E.D

Until you either hook the drum up to a load that can measure output, or remove the pump, you have no output...you have only a steady state, spinning drum that has energy applied to it, which it dissapates through creation of friction, turbulence, and heat.

Here is one other point: the crux of the fallacy of this engine - is that it actually TAKES energy to accelerate the fluid to the outside of the drum, energy that you put into the fluid with the pump, energy that will be drawn out of the drum if the pump is removed. You don't get "free" thrust from the "centrifugal force"...moving that fluid outward takes energy...

I am trying to stick to the topic of how this engine that you've built actually operates...but since you've called me several names, you should be aware that I had some basic courses in mechanical work in high school...(we called it physics) along with calculus.

Later, I got my college degree in Astrophysics...that's the derivation of my BITOG pseudonym...

But that's not going to make any difference to you, is it...

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that Astro14, that was very nice. I hope TommeyReed can appreciate it sometime too but it might be too late (or early?) for that.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Christopher Columbus thought the Earth was a sphere. He was considered crazy. Nobody would sail with him because the Earth was thought to be flat and he would sail off the edge.

That's an attractive myth that tries to make Columbus more of a hero.

But it's false.

It was well-known that the earth was round (except among the ignorant), the Greeks postulated that it was round in the 6th century BC. Eratosthenes calculated the circumference around 200 BC to be about 25,000 miles (within a few percent of the actual value) by using the difference in the length of shadows at noon between his native town and in Alexandria, to the south.

Anyone who has watched a ship sail away and disappear below the horizon can see the curvature of the earth. This would include the ancient civilizations...but might not include the ignorant folks living on a farm in the middle ages...

You completely missed my point and the story. It wasn't if they knew, it was if they believed it. He took the risk when others wouldn't. Which relates to this post.

OK, maybe the name calling was out of place....

I am sorry.

I read alot about the physics of rotating mass, but nothing on rotating a drum with liquid being use to create thrust from head pressure.

I understand that their is more to it then a mathematical formula, this is why I believe I need to build this high pressure clem version, using cooking oil.

If it won't work, or have low effienct output this will be very clear, but if there are some true numbers that show good efficiency then that would be great....

I'm still working on the formula to prove my point, or disprove it.

Last edited:
Fair enough. It was a risk indeed...

But he took more of a risk than he imagined...Columbus' estimate of the circumference was off by about 8,000 miles...he thought China lay 3,000 miles west...when it was closer to 11,000 miles west...

Fortunately for him, there was a continent where he thought China would be...

There's a really interesting book on exploration prior to Columbus, called "1421" by Gavin Menzies (former Royal Navy submariner) which suggests that Columbus may have seen 70 year old Chinese maps depicting the "lands" west of Europe...

Sorry, a bit OT, but the history of thought is fascinating to me...

This is simple to understand:
If you take the head pressure like your garden hose and use that pressure to spin a wheel, you will still have a constant pressure pump load in watts.

Now take the same pressure and pressurize a drum to the same head pressure and allow the drum to spin from the jets. This will create more energy output, and also drop the input of the pressure pump in watts.

This is a fact you created more output!

Sorry Tommy, you have to look at all the energy numbers here to get the full picture, and just because the pressure drops when the drum spins and creates centrifugal force does not result in a bottom line of high efficiency (in your words "create more output"). With no load (other than air friction and bearing friction) you are still putting more energy into it than it is producing (ie it is not doing any real work, but it is eating real energy). And if you do load the rotating section the drop in rotation speed caused a drop in centrifugal force, causing a reduction in the amount of pressure drop that the centrifugal force causes, and therefore the back pressure or input pressure has to go up.

Three are several existing hydraulic fluid pressure and flow to mechanical rotational force devices in existence that are more efficient than this design.

Just because this design shows a reduction in the amount of input energy required once it is rotating does not mean that it is a break-through design that will be more efficient than existing means of converting hydraulic fluid pressure and flow to mechanical rotation force that can drive a load.

Single and multiple stage hydraulic turbines with rotating and some also with matching set(s) of non rotating stator blades come to mind as one simple means that has been use from everything from turning a grain mill to generators in dams.

And even a simple water wheel probably is more efficient than the machine you are working on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kruse
But after listening to the dialog in the video, I think the belief is genuine.

Well, belief is irrelevant, the proof is the issue.
wink.gif

Tommy, with your superior knowledge you obviously know that a torque convertor has a rotor and stator. They do not simply redirect fluid to the outside of the convertor but react directly upon each other. What is the theory or formula that proves that your torque convertor (engine)! Also, with your superior knowlege and skills at {making metals), you could build your own perfectly desigined and fabricated Clem engine wheel instead of using a product that was desigined and built for a completly different type of energy transformation by people with much less mechanical knowlege!

In your other post you quote "I can build everything my self. I invested in many tool like a machine shop. I'm also able to make my own metals if needed...A true engineer can make anything, they don't have to depend on someone else!"

Can you explain how you (make metal)? Your pictures show you casting metal, which is a far cry from (making metal)!

Please give the link where test was done rotating a drum being pressurized to cause rotation...

Hero did a test a few thousand years ago on a pressurised rotating drum...he didn't post it here 'though.

I entered a science competition when I was 15, explaining the design of a car, which had generators on the front wheels, and motors on the back. Generators were bigger than the motors, so my logic was that the generators would provide more and more power to the motors, and the car would accelerate...it made sense to me.

My science teacher at the time explained to me very gently at the time that the idea was perfectly logical, but then explained that there were things that weren't due to be learned in the curriculum until next year, then went through power, efficiencies, etc.

(She still took me to the presentation day for the comp.)

Tommy, you do great work, and have heaps of skills, that I am envious of...keep experimenting, if that's your hooby, or learning technique. It's a free country.

BTW, and to some of the other posters, there's no centrifugal "force"

Agree to a point, I'm a simple man finding easy ways at a low cost. The torque converter cost me $10, I redesign the housing( The video shows that!), and remove the stator,turbine and left the pump in the housing.
I also added a 3/8 ring around the center to drill/tap for fitting of the jets.
I understand everyone feels bad, because all they can do is talk, yet nobody will build anything today..

I would love to challenge anyone to a build off, I think it would be fun to see the smart people coming up with a solid project and not just talk....

Let me start with the sand casting was a mixture of copper, 40% zinc ore and 1% tin. I melted down using my propane furnace.

This is called Naval Brass, very hard to cut compare to the cheap brass at home depot.

Different metals depend of how much carbon is in the mixture of iron ore. in the past they burn down trees to get the carbon, today they use coal coking to get the carbon to make steels.

So yeah, I made my own Naval Brass!

Last edited:
Tommy - I would not be foolish enough to challenge you in fabrication, there are a few guys here on BITOG who can do that sort of work, but I am not one of them...I do some good work in wood, when I am not keeping up the 7 cars in my sig...

It's cool that you made your own alloy (Naval brass)...it is still in use on modern USN ships...

So, let's talk physics for just a minute - the topic is angular momentum. The most common analogy used is the figure skater, who begins to whirl, and then, by pulling in her arms, whirls faster. She rotates faster when her arms come in because angular momentum is conserved.

Angular momentum is defined as L, and L=Iw, where I is the moment of intertia and w is the rate of rotation. In the case of the figure skater, L remains the same (it's conserved), when she pulls in her arms, I is reduced (more on this in a second), so w must increase....and she spins faster...

Without getting into detail on how I is calculated, let's look at a small particle in rotation about a point: for this, we can say that L = r x MV, the cross product of its linear momentum (MV) and the distance from the center (where M is mass, V is velocity and r is the radius). So, consider a small particle in the turbine you've built.

When it's near the center (call it 1 inch), it has a small angular momentum, as it moves to the edge (call it 10 inches), the angular momentum must be conserved. So, since L must be the same, and r increased by 10-fold, then MV must go down by a factor of 10, right?

Only it didn't in your drum...the linear momentum (MV) went UP, because the drum is rotating at a constant speed...so, what must happen in this case? for that small particle, L must increase by a factor of 10 as the particle moves out from 1 inch to 10...

How did the angular momentum increase for that particle? Where did it get the energy?

It got it from the drum itself - moving that particle from the center to the outside edge will slow the drum down (decrease its angular momentum) by the same amount that the particle increased its angular momentum. This is the same as the rapidly rotating figure skater extended her arms - she slows down...

Going back to the original formula: L remains the same, but I increased (greater moment of inertia for that one particle moving out) so w (rotation rate) has to decrease...

So, the fluid itself takes energy to move to the outside of the drum, it takes that energy from the drum itself, they're part of the same system...That's why energy has to be put into this system to keep the drum rotating - each bit of fluid moving outward TAKES energy to move there. If the fluid stayed put, then the energy would not be needed, but since the fluid is moving through the drum it is a continual drain on energy in the system.

There is no free lunch in this...

Here is a great article on Wiki about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_momentum

Like Steve admitted above, most people learn by hands-on experience. When I taught physics (I was a teaching assistant in college), the hands-on experiments/demonstrations in the lab were where the principles really sunk in for the students.

I am the same way. Sometimes, I just have to see it "in the flesh" to understand how something works...

I agree that Ft=mv, but what about gas laws that says as the temperature increase so also will pressure. The pump will produce temperature to the input head pressure. The rotational effect will cause cavitation do to the pump in the drum.

I'm tring to put this into one complete formula, too many question on what will take place.

I thank you for your input...

I also understand that if I pull any load on the drum, the fuild pressure will increase in the pump head pressure.This will in the effect produce a greater load in watts, I'm looking at speeds above 3600 rpm's this will produce cavitation and also greater heat in the system..

What is your opinion on my theory?

Tom

This is why I think it needs to be built...

Last edited:
If this a closed-loop system as in the drawing, why is he adding cooking oil ? Or is it actually using the cooking oil as fuel ?
clemcarearly.jpg
Personally, I think the external fins on the Clem torque convertor "engine" are cooling fins.
clemscan5.jpg

This is a closed loop system like a power steering system is a closed loop, but allow to refill the reserve tank...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back