Buick 4T65E hard shift *LONG*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long term Trans-Go report: I believe I installed the kit at 130K miles, it now has 286K on the trans. Best $50 I've spent.

2003 Bonneville 4T65-E

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 951Indy
Long term Trans-Go report: I believe I installed the kit at 130K miles, it now has 286K on the trans. Best $50 I've spent.

2003 Bonneville 4T65-E

Good to know. Mine is working great, and we've been using the car a lot. What sucks is I wonder how many people get ripped off by tranny shops with the hard shift issue, and get sold a tranny rebuild. I'd be willing to bet a lot of tranny shops toss in an accumulator kit and sell it as some $1500+ tranny rebuild.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: 951Indy

2003 Bonneville 4T65-E

Good to know. Mine is working great, and we've been using the car a lot. What sucks is I wonder how many people get ripped off by tranny shops with the hard shift issue, and get sold a tranny rebuild. I'd be willing to bet a lot of tranny shops toss in an accumulator kit and sell it as some $1500+ tranny rebuild.

Sadly it would not be the first time I've heard of that stuff either.

That 4T65 is a great box, works well for some fairly high output motors. It shares parts with the 4L65E which has proven nearly indestructible in our Silverados.

Originally Posted By: richport29
I looked into the transgo kit awhile back, but couldn't find anyone willing to do the job. Any recommendations? I'm fairly close to Ottawa.

Anyone know of someone/place that would do the job in my area?

Bump an old thread.
I put the Transgo kit in my 4T65E transmission about two years ago. It improved but did not eliminate the delay in the engagement when pulling away from stop. The shifts are fine.I think it is time for a new EPC, pressure control solenoid.
It seems this is a common failure. They just wear out. There is a good video on youtube showing how to take the side pan off and replace the solenoid. My question is: what is the best brand for a new solenoid?? The AC Delco's do not seem to last very long. Some people have had to replace them at less than 30,000 miles.
Any comments would be appreciated.

IIRC Borg-Warner made a good EPC solenoid for the 4T65. I'd also turn Google loose on pontiacbonnevilleclub dot com for their experiences. The integrated search feature wasn't great, IIRC.

Thanks for the replies.
Triple Edge Performance says the better Borg Warner PCS is for vehicles/transmissions up to 2002. AC Delco is the only option for 2003+.
So I am ordering an AC Delco for my Buick. A very time consuming job so while I wait for the part I am going to get my tools together.

UPDATE.
After the Transgo kit did not completely fix my trans I decided to replace the PCS. After researching it and watching Youtube videos.What a job without a lift. I managed to install the new AC Delco PCS. Of course while it was a part I discovered it needed pads/rotors and 2 tie rod ends.
All done and fluid topped up with Dexron Vl. Test drove it. Still had the delay when pulling away. Zero improvement. Drives good but when pulling away delay and then catches. Same as before. This is a 2005 Buick with series lll 3800 and 80,000 miles.
The 4T65E trans was very clean inside as well as the fluid.
Any ideas?? Thanks.

Last edited:
Is the filter neck's gasket deformed in the transmission? That would cause a delayed reaction when just spinning up.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Is the filter neck's gasket deformed in the transmission? That would cause a delayed reaction when just spinning up.

I changed the filter/fluid with zero problems. The trans shifts good. The car drives well but the engagement at slow speed is still bad. At a traffic light with a little incline it hesitates and then grabs first.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Originally Posted By: sciphi

I changed the filter/fluid with zero problems. The trans shifts good. The car drives well but the engagement at slow speed is still bad. At a traffic light with a little incline it hesitates and then grabs first.

2005 units are usually pretty good, engine performance issue maybe? Any transmission/engine codes?
Can you tell if this engine hesitation or the transmission slipping?
It could be a few things but if it isnt free revving then banging into gear i suspect some sort of engine performance issue like a vacuum leak that maybe causing the hesitation.

Time to get the scanner on the job and look at fuel trims, air temp, MAF, TPS and so on.
look at the transmission shift times, lock up, slippage, etc.

No real "hidden" codes but there there are things that can fail that will not trip a code.
I use Auto Enginuity PC software with the enhanced packages, it will let you look at transmission and other functions that are not available in generic OBDII.

There are issues that will not trip the CEL like a leaky piston seal or boost valve issues that you can see are causing trouble if you know what to look for.
Unfortunately getting at the valve body on these units is a real job.

The shift kit does not address the problem you are having, it addresses long shift time issues that can trigger the CEL and cause excessive wear on the clutches.
It is a reliable "cure" for that issue and good preventive maintenance for these units but it wont cure leaking internal piston seals, etc.

Would i invest in the scan tool to diagnose this? Probably not. Even if you find out the cause unless you can disassemble the unit and repair it there isn't much return on the investment.
I would spend the $100 or so to have a trusted GM dealer (yes there are some) look at it with their GM scan tool and go from there.

You could add a couple of 12oz bottles of Lubeguard red to the unit (you may have to pump a little out so as not to overfill) and hope the esters can help with the seals.
This is nothing more than a hail Mary pass and may bring nothing at all but its worth a shot. It certainly wont do any harm and its cheap.

Please make 100% sure there is no engine issue, even if it runs great there could be something causing it bog slightly under a load from idle that otherwise goes unnoticed.
You need to address this quickly while there may still be some hope of a minor repair.

49.gif

I have a 2001 Park Ave with the 4T65E. At 120k miles I replaced the PCM solenoid and things were fine until 174k miles when the symptoms recurred. I went back online to see what the expected life of this tranny was to see if I should do a rebuild. I came across this post and decided to try the Trans-Go shift kit. I installed the kit, replaced about 6 quarts of fluid with Valvoline MaxLife ATF, and it is shifting well. I was hoping that the solenoid was OK since it had only 50k on it, and I was preferring to not have to lower the tranny again.

Any ideas how long the 4T65E will go before it really croaks? I am a pretty gentle driver most of the time, and my driving is 75% city/25% highway.

Thanks to everyone for sharing info!
cool.gif

Another UPDATE.
Thanks for the replies. I am taking the car in Friday to have it scanned with an expensive piece of equipment.

I talked to Dave at Triple Edge. I listed what I had worked on so far. He said that it was probably not the PCS as I originally thought. Instead he suggested two other worn parts. Both valves of some sort. I think in the valve body? He said it's not unusual to have the 4T65E needing a rebuild at 80,000 miles. Even when driven easily and with proper fluid changes.

I have some good tranny shops locally that I work with on lube development but we could use some Travs out here as well.

Sounds like the Trav really knows his stuff.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back