Bubbles in the paint on my 05 Crown Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed recently some bubbles in the paint on the hood,top trunk. Its out of warrenty. Took it to the dealer today to ask them about it and they said unless the bubbles bust leave it alone. If it does bust I will have to repaint the effected areas at a tune of 1500 bucks.

Is this a normal thing for Ford? My friends Escape did the same thing and after he had it repainted [under warrenty] it did the same thing again.

BTW all our cars are waxed often so I am surprised this happened.

They are wrong, that means it has already started to rust underneath the paint. If you do not take care of it, eventually you will have a hole in the hood and trunk. I am very surprised you have this in Miami FL, but I suppose FL is not immune to rust. Also, $1500 sounds very high to me. Go to a reputable body shop in the area, it will most likely be significantly less than the dealer. An easy to find a good shop, if you dont know anyone, is to go on the Certified First network- it lists recommended shops in your area.

What did the guys at cv.net say?

How big are the bubbles?

Pics?

Waxing probably has no effect.

I bet it's coming from the inside out.

Take it to a reputable paint and body shop and ask them what exactly is going on.

You need to provide some more info if you want any serious feedback.

What waxes are you using? Is the car garaged? Pictures?

Last edited:
Sounds to me like a paint or primer failure, but without pictures its hard to tell. It could also have been a poorly prepped surface that had some contamination on it. Either way its not good. Wax and sealers will not help.

As mentioned have a pro paint shop look at it. Then schedule an appointment with a Ford rep and have him look at it. If it is a paint failure they are going to have to make some kind of allowance. Forget about the dealership service writer you'll get nowhere.

Due to VOC laws there is a lot of junk paint out there.

HTH
Frank D

Agree with the others. Without pics it's hard to say but it sounds like paint or clearcoat failure. I doubt it's rust but I suppose it's possible. Have you found complaints from other CV owners about the same thing? Could be a factory paint defect. I'd follow that route first.

Did you get the car new or used from ford? or did you get it from a used car lot.

I have never heard of that happening to a factory painted car.

On my old Jeep, the front fender was repainted when i bought it used.
due to them painting over rust it bubbled. so either you bought a car that was badly repainted or you bought a new car that was really meesed up in the paint booth. either way it is not your fault. it is either FORD motor company, or the people who repainted it if it was indeed repainted.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
They are wrong, that means it has already started to rust underneath the paint. If you do not take care of it, eventually you will have a hole in the hood and trunk. I am very surprised you have this in Miami FL, but I suppose FL is not immune to rust. Also, $1500 sounds very high to me. Go to a reputable body shop in the area, it will most likely be significantly less than the dealer. An easy to find a good shop, if you dont know anyone, is to go on the Certified First network- it lists recommended shops in your area.

Never heard of the C.F.N.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
What did the guys at cv.net say?

How big are the bubbles?

Pics?

Waxing probably has no effect.

I bet it's coming from the inside out.

Take it to a reputable paint and body shop and ask them what exactly is going on.

The bubbles are real small and shows up most under fluorescent lighting.

Didn't post it on cvn yet.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Did you get the car new or used from ford? or did you get it from a used car lot.

due to them painting over rust it bubbled. so either you bought a car that was badly repainted or you bought a new car that was really meesed up in the paint booth. either way it is not your fault. it is either FORD motor company, or the people who repainted it if it was indeed repainted.

I got the car a year old. It was a program car so it could have been repainted but it sure looked liked the original paint. I even had a expert look at it first before I bought it and he found nothing wrong with the paint or anything else.

Have been using Black Magic Liquid Wax. It gets washed and waxed often.

The dealer said the warrenty for that runs out at 36K miles or 3 years. I have 67K miles on it now and the paint problem just showed up a few weeks ago. When I got it it had 20K miles on it.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Agree with the others. Without pics it's hard to say but it sounds like paint or clearcoat failure. I doubt it's rust but I suppose it's possible. Have you found complaints from other CV owners about the same thing? Could be a factory paint defect. I'd follow that route first.

Haven't heard anything about that from other CV owners and there are tons of them down here.

Originally Posted By: MIAMI-DADE
Originally Posted By: rg200amp

I got the car a year old. It was a program car so it could have been repainted but it sure looked liked the original paint. I even had a expert look at it first before I bought it and he found nothing wrong with the paint or anything else.

Have been using Black Magic Liquid Wax. It gets washed and waxed often.

The dealer said the warrenty for that runs out at 36K miles or 3 years. I have 67K miles on it now and the paint problem just showed up a few weeks ago. When I got it it had 20K miles on it.

sadly, trying to fix rust is hard, the best way to fix it is get a new hood and trunk lid.

I have seen some crown vics that have faulty clear coats quite often. Certain years of the CVPIs were badly hit with it.

Either the work was flawed or some moisture got through it and made its way underneath and caused corrosion.

Have you checked to see what a local shop(or *gulp* a Maaco) may charge to JUST repaint those 2 parts? Like if you took them off yourself and had them just paint it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back