Break Squeeze when Car Start Moving; One Roter Hotter than Others. Thought?

Hi All,
Recently I noticed my passenger front brake would squeeze for a second when idling out of parking slot, even if my foot is completely off the brake. This makes me worried if my caliper is about to seize. Today I tried to check how hot my rotor is after a short trip. All other three are warm to touch, but the passenger front is hot enough that I feel the urge to move my hand away. I had done long trips earlier this week, no visible color change or scorch mark on all rotors. Last complete brake job is done two years ago.
Am I thinking too much about it or is my caliper on its way out? Or could it simply be my brake sliding pin needs extra lube? July fourth is coming and I don't want my car to be dead on the highway in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks.

Hi All,
Recently I noticed my passenger front brake would squeeze for a second when idling out of parking slot, even if my foot is completely off the brake. This makes me worried if my caliper is about to seize. Today I tried to check how hot my rotor is after a short trip. All other three are warm to touch, but the passenger front is hot enough that I feel the urge to move my hand away. I had done long trips earlier this week, no visible color change or scorch mark on all rotors. Last complete brake job is done two years ago.
Am I thinking too much about it or is my caliper on its way out? Or could it simply be my brake sliding pin needs extra lube? July fourth is coming and I don't want my car to be dead on the highway in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks.

you're on the right track thinking the pins need lube.. only two things here, sliding pins and the piston itself. you're already experiencing the caliper sticking ready to seize.. and the rotor is hot, meaning the caliper IS sticking. but what to do about it? First, check the sliding pins themselves for any pitting or corrosion, if the sliding pin is bad, replace it. If it looks smooth, and no lube, re-lube and see if that helps.

The piston.. after lubing or replacing the sliding pins, put it back together and look into the hole on top of the caliper.. have someone push and release the brake pedal, watch the piston, see if it's smooth release or sticking.. I think that will answer your questions.. if the piston is sticking, you could rebuild the caliper, but most people just get another one.

you're not over thinking this at all.. all of your thoughts makes sense..

I would add that the movement along the SS clips should be checked also. Cleaned and lubed.

Also compare the inner and outer lining thickness to the pads on the front driver's side. And to each other.

There is a remote chance there is internal damage to a front flex brake hose. Not visible from the outside. Not letting the fluid flow properly.

Some (with time on their hands) clean and lube the brakes yearly if driven in the rust belt.

Back