Break in oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
I was wondering if anyone knows which car makers are still using a special break in oil? I know VW still uses break in oil, and specifically tells people not to change the oil early. What about Honda? When we bought our 2000 Civic I did the first oil change well before 1000 miles had passed, and if I remember correctly I switched it to Mobil 1 at around 2000 miles. Car has almost 37k on it now and uses no more than 1/8 of a quart every 5000 miles, if even that much, so I'm assuming I did no harm by changing out the factory fill oil so early.

2000 Civic with only 37K miles? Wow.

Well [censored], I see now that this post is wayyyy old and I can't delete my post. Preparing for the backlash.
24.gif

Last edited:
Hehe, interesting to see such an old thread revived! Things sure changed a lot since then! That 2000 Civic ended up burning a TON of oil, although I really didn't care, since that car was no longer my problem after my first wife and I split up
smile.gif
I'm much happier now with my new wife
laugh.gif

From Mobil1 website:

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/product-faqs

"Is it true that new engines need break-in periods using conventional motor oil?

That is a myth. In the past, engine break-in was necessary to remove metal flashing or any other abrasive material left inside the engine after machining, as well as to allow the valves and rings to "seat" properly. Today's engines are built with much tighter tolerances and much improved machining, and under much cleaner conditions compared to the engines of 10 or 20 years ago. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require a break-in period using petroleum-based motor oils."

I believe Valvoline says the same thing.

Hehe, interesting to see such an old thread revived! Things sure changed a lot since then! That 2000 Civic ended up burning a TON of oil, although I really didn't care, since that car was no longer my problem after my first wife and I split up
smile.gif
I'm much happier now with my new wife
laugh.gif

When did it start burning a ton of oil? In your original post it was doing fine up to 37K miles. I wonder what went wrong with it?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

When did it start burning a ton of oil? In your original post it was doing fine up to 37K miles. I wonder what went wrong with it?

It was weird, it burned almost no oil at all until about 60,000 miles and then all of a sudden it started using a lot. I had heard that changing the PCV valve on those engines can help in that regard, but it was such a pain to get to it that I never did get around to changing it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

It was weird, it burned almost no oil at all until about 60,000 miles and then all of a sudden it started using a lot. I had heard that changing the PCV valve on those engines can help in that regard, but it was such a pain to get to it that I never did get around to changing it.

I hear ya! I wonder if it would have helped.

Not sure if they were correct or not, but when I bought my 2009 Fit the dealership stressed to me not to change the oil before the first indicated OCI. They did say something to the effect of the FF oil being different. I followed their advice and changed the oil at around 10k.

Not saying anyone's wrong or whatever. Just my experience with a Honda dealership 4 years ago.

I believe BMW uses break in oil in some models.

On my 2013 M6, there was a scheduled fluids change, both engine oil and differential, at 1,200 miles.

If I had a manual gearbox, the lube there would have been changed also.

Man this is an old thread...

Is Engineer20 back???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back