Engine break in.

I always do an early one for a few reasons. actually just did mine today with 300 some miles. Reasons being you can put a better filter on to catch more of the breakin debris. two you can use a better oil. three, there really are higher metal counts floating around as breaking happens. Always good to get that stuff out of there

Honda says to keep the factory fill in due to the all the moly assembly lube. helps break-in the engine sooner. according to them at least...

i used to always change it at 1000 miles but i'm at 7000 miles on the factory fill on my 2023 Civic Si. got to wait until 15% on the OLM until Honda will change it for free. no sign of fuel/oil dilution yet which is a concern on the L-series engines. oil still looks okay. i'm assuming the filter will catch any break-in metals.

Honda says to keep the factory fill in due to the all the moly assembly lube. helps break-in the engine sooner. according to them at least...

i used to always change it at 1000 miles but i'm at 7000 miles on the factory fill on my 2023 Civic Si. got to wait until 15% on the OLM until Honda will change it for free. no sign of fuel/oil dilution yet which is a concern on the L-series engines. oil still looks okay. i'm assuming the filter will catch any break-in metals.

I've always thought it was odd that Honda wanted the high moly content to be in there for the break in period, when moly is supposed to lower your engine wear.

I've always thought it was odd that Honda wanted the high moly content to be in there for the break in period, when moly is supposed to lower your engine wear.
What’s even more old is that they don’t seem to claim moly benefits in their high performance motorcycle engines. They want owners to dump the original fill at 500 miles.🤔

So I changed the oil at 500 miles. Currently have 1500 on the oil change. Now that the motor has 2,000 on it would it be good to do one more change to get any residual break in out then go to a 4 to 5k OCI thereafter?
Nothing wrong with doing that, in fact I think it's a good idea. You will most likely be criticized, told how you wasted oil, and how tens of millions of engines did just fine running the factory fill the full interval. Bottom line do what you think is best, and if you post about it be prepared to either defend your position or ignore the comments and move on. ;)

Back