Brand New 2012 Nissan Versa (oil advice wanted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1
PCMO acts as a coolant and a lubricant. The 3 qt sump does not inspire confidence. Remember the Pontiac Fiero? These mid engine novelties held 3.5qts of oil. These things were prone to catch fire. I would use Pennzoil Ultra and a Purolator Pure One oil filter. I would run this for 5 to 7k OCI.

Originally Posted By: BigBird57
+1
PCMO acts as a coolant and a lubricant. The 3 qt sump does not inspire confidence. Remember the Pontiac Fiero? These mid engine novelties held 3.5qts of oil. These things were prone to catch fire. I would use Pennzoil Ultra and a Purolator Pure One oil filter. I would run this for 5 to 7k OCI.

That problem with the early Fiero happened almost 30 years ago. A 2012 model using the newer oils shouldn't have as bad of an oil consumption problem.

Good point,
My concern with the small sumps is that you do not get good heat dissapation as compared to a 5 or 6 qt sump. The Fiero was a 2.8l V6.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Easy. At 3750, I'd just use PYB..

+1

Keep your receipts and staple them into your service record book for warranty purposes.

Agree. The climate is not one where a syn is necessary, though the OPs driving profile may get some benefit from syn. Id start on PYB anyway.

The fact is this is not a highly stressed engine and it will do just fine on any oil that meets the owners manual specs and intervals. Buy whatever you like on sale, change it at 3750 and keep your documentation. You're good to go.

Spend less time and money changing, use synthetic for 7500 miles. At less than $30 for most Synthetic oil change specials, and the fact it will help with the small sump issue. IMO

If it was mine, it would get German Castrol and a $5-6 filter.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Spend less time and money changing, use synthetic for 7500 miles. At less than $30 for most Synthetic oil change specials, and the fact it will help with the small sump issue. IMO

If it was mine, it would get German Castrol and a $5-6 filter.

I completely disagree. He has a warranty and should adhere to the 3750 interval. The GC is also WAY too heavy for that motor.

I would change every 3750 with whatever semi-syn 5w30 is on sale at the time. There's always a change special at the stores.

The 3,750 mile recommendation is Nissan's "safe" recommendation for the average joe / general public. If your driving conditions aren't SEVERE service, you can easily go 5k with any quality conventional oil coupled with a decent oil filter and not have any lube related issues.

Just traded mine off last year with 115,000 miles on the clock. Any good 5w30 oil will do. Tried them all, saw no real difference in consumption or quietness of motor. Used no oil between changes. You can easily go 7500 miles between changes on that engine, 1.8 liter. I've had a boatload of cars over 37 years, and the Versa hatchback is still one of my favorites for practicability and economy.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Easy. At 3750, I'd just use PYB..

+1

Keep your receipts and staple them into your service record book for warranty purposes.

+1 for both

I've always liked the Versas ... almost bought one.

For being a "smaller" car than my Focus, they have significantly more interior room. Thought the base model with no radio, a/c or power windows was a good deal (9995 for a new car!)

Nissan doesn't specify a specific oil or certification?

this info is from the online owners manual for the car.

Engine oil (drain and refill) *6
With oil
filter
change
3-3/8 qt 2-7/8 qt 3.2
• Genuine NISSAN engine oil *1
• API grade SM *1
• ILSAC grade GF-4 *1
• Viscosity SAE 5W-30 *1

+1

During the 80s and 90s, the Nissan VG30E and VG30I held only 4 quarts of oil, but if you changed the oil and timing belt when you were supposed to, you could get 220,000 miles from one of those engines easily.

Good point,
My concern with the small sumps is that you do not get good heat dissapation as compared to a 5 or 6 qt sump. The Fiero was a 2.8l V6.

As I understand it, this is not correct. The burning Fiero problem was specific to the first year during which the only available engine was the low-powered economy version of 2.5L called Tech 4. The 3.5 qt. sump that was partially responsible for the problem was actually a 4.5 qt sump with capacity reduced by documentation and dipstick for reasons of economy.

The 2.8L was not available until the second year, but by then the only burning Fire-Os left were the home-brew V8 conversions with poorly planned wiring harnesses. These fireballs typically had 5 qt. sumps that were not responsible for fires.

My Daughter has a Versa. Been using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 every 7,000 miles. I tell her 5,000 and by the time she comes over for an oil change it around 7,000 miles.
smile.gif

Nissan drain plugs for the engine are typically 14mm. Automatic transmission/CVT drain plugs are 19mm. Differential/MT plugs are 13mm square. The same crush washer is used for both engine and transmission drain plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back