Braking sensation when coasting

The vehicle does have eco mode which was turned on. Not sure if eco could create the braking feeling when cost.

Temperatures below. Not sure what’s normal but they all seem fairly close to one another.

145 front driver side
177 front passenger side

172 rear driver side
138 rear passenger side

I just jacked up the car and was able to turn both back wheels without any issues. They spin freely. I ordered an infrared thermometer and should be able to measure temperature for each wheel tomorrow. Thing is if the rear caliper was sticking I'm assuming I wouldn’t be able to turn the wheels freely?
Maybe after jacking the car up, Go in the car and pump up the brakes pretty good.
Or have a helper do it.
Then quickly go to the wheels and then try to turn them.

I also came across something called Active Deceleration Fuel Shutoff which sounds like what’s happening. Below is a description I found online. How do I confirm whether or not my Transit Connect has this feature?

View attachment 181268
Put it in neutral.
ADFS.jpg

Well the very screenshot you posted suggests it will go away in N.....so try replicating it and then seeing if it vanishes in N?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I could have just said "This"
Guess l need to read the whole thread before posting.

Update. I drove it with the eco mode turned off and the braking sensation when coasting hasn’t occurred. I’ll continue to watch it. However, check engine light came on this morning. Attached is the message. I plan on scanning it when I get home today to see if it provides a specific code.

IMG_0431.jpeg

Reactions: D60
Temperatures below. Not sure what’s normal but they all seem fairly close to one another.

145 front driver side
177 front passenger side

172 rear driver side
138 rear passenger side
Well, left rear is warmer than right rear, although I'll grant you it's not a huge difference.

I would continue to inspect the left rear pads every oil change. Your photo in Post #1 is clearly indicative of a problem. Either seized slider pins, failing brake hose or a problem with caliper piston.

If this continues I'd go scorched earth and replace everything on that side: slider pins, probably caliper bracket if applicable, brake hose and caliper. I don't really consider this parts-cannoning because it's arguably just best practice as part of brake PM

Drove the car again today and the problem described in the original post is still there. I rechecked with temp gun.

Variability with the temp gun but this is what I’m getting. I can smell the heat coming from front passenger side.

100-115 front driver side
200-323 front passenger side

180-230 rear driver side
100-105 rear passenger side

Drove the car again today and the problem described in the original post is still there. I rechecked with temp gun.

Variability with the temp gun but this is what I’m getting. I can smell the heat coming from front passenger side.

100-115 front driver side
200-323 front passenger side

180-230 rear driver side
100-105 rear passenger side
Ok so your first post said the pads pictured were left rear but now you're getting excessive heat from right front?

Were the front brakes serviced at the same time as mentioned in Post #1? If so, what were the old front pads like at that time?

Ok so your first post said the pads pictured were left rear but now you're getting excessive heat from right front?

Were the front brakes serviced at the same time as mentioned in Post #1? If so, what were the old front pads like at that time?
Yes I changed all pads. The front right pads didn’t look terrible when I went to go replace them. Nothing like the rear driver side show in the original post.

My plan is remove the pads on the front passenger and rear driver side and to check pads and caliper piston.

If the caliper piston is seized my plan is to replace the entire caliper. Question, is the brake bleeding procedure on a 2019 Ford Transit Connect unique in the sense that it requires some type of electronic / ECM reset? Or is it a typical procedure where I hook up a hose with a bottle and pump the air out of the system?

I replaced the brake calipers on the two wheels that measured hot and the problem still occurs. It only seems to happen at high speeds (65+ mph)

So it definitely only appears to be at high speeds 60+ mph

See video. Essentially took foot off gas when I was over 60mph and the vehicle felt like it was starting to brake / lose speed quickly, I put my foot back on the gas and RPM spiked.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor. Your calipers are not floating due to sticking or stuck pins. If yours are hanging up. do yourself a favor and replace the caliper and the front hoses at least Front get hotter. Do them all I recommend. Advance auto has them reasonably and lifetime warranty. It will save you a world of hurt believe you me.... As me how I know. Rusted bores in the calipers will haunt you for years ruining pads rotors and fuel mileage.

Back