BP Invigorate

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Think molecules for a moment. Invigorate is an advanced formula contained in BP gasoline that helps to clean and protect your engine, so it can run younger for longer™."

Sorry, but, even when I'm thinking molecules, this is just marketing dribble. It doesn't have any substance. So, BP doesn't participate in Top Tier gas requirements, but, states they have more detergents...if they know that, why not prove it by passing the standard? Or, they could instead just create marketing phrases like they've done above. IOW, if you aren't participating in Top Tier labeling...don't mention it...and certainly don't say you are better than those that meet that requirement, unless you are proving why the requirement is insufficient and your product is proven to be superior to the Top Tier standard. Key root word is "proof".

I use BP, Shell, Exxon, Texaco, Pilot, Love's, and even Jack's Handy Pantry gasoline...pretty much whatever costs the least or is most convenient at the time. There has been no statistically significant differences in performance as measured by mpg (and I track EVERY tankful) between any of them in my Gramp Marquis, which I drive on the highway at a rate of 60,000 miles/year. BUT, I use Fuel Power additive at the suggested doseage.

Top Tier Fuels as of 6/28

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

Originally Posted By: Titan

So, BP doesn't participate in Top Tier gas requirements, but, states they have more detergents...if they know that, why not prove it by passing the standard? Or, they could instead just create marketing phrases like they've done above. IOW, if you aren't participating in Top Tier labeling...don't mention it...and certainly don't say you are better than those that meet that requirement, unless you are proving why the requirement is insufficient and your product is proven to be superior to the Top Tier standard. Key root word is "proof".

Many of the major oil companies resist the "Top Tier" program because they were not included in the formulation of the standard being dictated by the auto mfgs. BP/Amoco has always been a quality product.

The price difference between generic and name brand fuels is now about 1% in my area.

Some "Proof" from BP's site....
///

http://www.bpinvigorate.com/amoco_ultimate_cleans.html

The images above show two intake valves tested in BP labs in a 3.8L v6 GM Stationary engine test cell. The left valve was run on Amoco Ultimate® with Invigorate for 300 hours of operation using city and highway combined driving cycles, while the right valve was run on the same engine using the market average regular unleaded fuel with the legal minimum detergency under the same conditions for 100 hours of engine operation. In these tests, the hours of engine test cell operation are then converted into equivalent miles using a formula based off of the time and driving cycle used.

The left valve was taken from an engine after regular use of Amoco Ultimate® with Invigorate and as you can see, the valves are virtually as clean as new even after an equivalent of 15,000 miles.

The right valve which has been running on a market average regular fuel, with minimum required detergency, is coated in black carbon deposits after an equivalent of only 5,000 miles.

In older cars Amoco Ultimate® with Invigorate begins to clean away deposits, restore performance and improve driveability starting with your first tank. Because cleaner is better, cleaner engines mean more performance.

The use of fuels with minimum detergency can result in the formation of engine deposits which reduce the combustion efficiency and performance of your engine. Amoco Ultimate® with Invigorate delivers our highest level of engine cleaning performance. It not only keeps new intake valves cleans, but it also removes valve deposits caused by the prior use of fuels with low detergency.

Fleet tests show that Amoco Ultimate® with Invigorate can remove up to 2/3 of existing intake valve deposits in as little as 5 tank fills. This means dirty engines become cleaner, quicker.

All grades of fuel have been substantially improved, but differentiation across the slate is maintained with Amoco Ultimate remaining our premium product.

///

Last edited:
That's great. Now, to even approach being "science", they'd need to switch fuels in these two engines, and see if the Left sided one stays clean or becomes encrusted, and if the Right sided one stays like it is, becomes less encrusted, or worsens.

THEN I would begin to listen.

Also, since a VERY small percentage of passenger vehicles require Premium Research Octane, (isn't "Ultimate" their highest Research Octane fuel?) it's a moot point if their lower Research Octane fuels aren't acheiving results in the way they are claiming their Premium fuel to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back