Bought a 223

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine with a Bushnell Elite 6500 Fine Multi-X scope model 652165M mounted to it. Gun shop had it in stock used. Came with a bipod, sling and muzzle brake
smile.gif
They wouldn't budge from the asking price of $1195, so that's what I paid. A lot more than what I had budgeted, but I'm very happy with it. Thanks for all the advice in the other thread guys!
thumbsup2.gif

Savage10.jpg

I like it a lot. But I doubt you'll need that muzzle brake.
smile.gif
Good luck with it, Savage makes a great shooting rifle.

The Accutrigger is incredible (my .270 doesn't have it), I now know why guys rave about it. It is a beautiful feeling rifle, can't wait to smoke some hard drives with it, LOL!

Nice gun. And yea, its hard to find a gun shop that will dicker with you on prices these days. Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It is a beautiful feeling rifle, can't wait to smoke some hard drives with it, LOL!

lol.gif
... post up the carnage!
grin.gif

The Accutrigger is incredible (my .270 doesn't have it), I now know why guys rave about it. It is a beautiful feeling rifle, can't wait to smoke some hard drives with it, LOL!

Are you loading your own? What is the twist? 1/9?

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Are you loading your own?
.223 is dirt cheap. No point in reloading it. Shoot steel case for around $.25/per.

Definite budget fail as you stated. I'd have gone with the Savage Axis XP Combo in .223 for under $300. Unless you are sniping(long range hunting), there was no need to go $1000+ on a .223 IMHO.

Nice one and you should be happy! The muzzle break is a nice touch, I wonder how much "concussion" it produces.
grin.gif
As long as you are happy with it, I would not worry about nor focus on the cost.

Photo examples of accuracy are a mandate once you dial it in! Handloads would greatly improve the accuracy over commercial ammunition, although commercially loaded ammunition is better than it ever as been (mainstream makers), but there is no denying that custom handloads are more accurate. Stay away from "ultra cheap" ammo and I would not shoot steel cased ammo in it, but that is just me.

My custom 6MM BR (blueprinted Remington 700, Hart barrel, fully bedded and floated laminated stock with aluminum inserts, Jewell trigger set at 1#, PTG firing pin assembly, and Nightforce 12x42x56 scope) shoots handloads (no commercially available ammunition anyway), but even if there were, I doubt it would produce a 5 shot group like this at 300 yards (my longest confirmed kill is at 980 yards--I should have shot the one behind him and entered the 1000 yard club):

2225001.jpg

Are you loading your own? What is the twist? 1/9?

Yup, rate of twist is 9.

Wasn't planning on loading my own. Of course wasn't planning on this gun either. It was just kind of "there" and I really liked it so....
21.gif
I had gone in with the idea that I'd probably walk out with a Savage in 223 after the last thread. But this gun most certainly wasn't on my mind.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Nice one and you should be happy! The muzzle break is a nice touch, I wonder how much "concussion" it produces.
grin.gif
As long as you are happy with it, I would not worry about nor focus on the cost.

Photo examples of accuracy are a mandate once you dial it in! Handloads would greatly improve the accuracy over commercial ammunition, although commercially loaded ammunition is better than it ever as been (mainstream makers), but there is no denying that custom handloads are more accurate. Stay away from "ultra cheap" ammo and I would not shoot steel cased ammo in it, but that is just me.

My custom 6MM BR (blueprinted Remington 700, Hart barrel, fully bedded and floated laminated stock with aluminum inserts, Jewell trigger set at 1#, PTG firing pin assembly, and Nightforce 12x42x56 scope) shoots handloads (no commercially available ammunition anyway), but even if there were, I doubt it would produce a 5 shot group like this at 300 yards (my longest confirmed kill is at 980 yards--I should have shot the one behind him and entered the 1000 yard club):

2225001.jpg

You have set the bar high sir! I will do my best though to accommodate
smile.gif

Where we shoot isn't 300 yards long, but I'm sure we can find a spot that is, so no worries there.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

Are you loading your own?
.223 is dirt cheap. No point in reloading it. Shoot steel case for around $.25/per.

Definite budget fail as you stated. I'd have gone with the Savage Axis XP Combo in .223 for under $300. Unless you are sniping(long range hunting), there was no need to go $1000+ on a .223 IMHO.

For me anyway, loading your own has very little to do with cost.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
grin.gif

2225001.jpg

Excellent combo! I have Hart's and Jewell triggers on all my stiller actions. Goof stuff!!

I would have shopped around a bit for a Browning.

I still have old-school opinions about what a NEW Savage or Mossberg is worth.

I would have never paid that much unless it had signed targets from the local range to attest to it's accuracy.

If this was a lemon someone unloaded because it has pie plate MOA, you're stuck. Remember, an inaccurate .223 is worthless.

The dealer paid max 250$ for this setup, and probably told the previous owner that it is a Walmart gun, it "isn't a Browning", and used scopes hold their value as good as used electronics.

The Dealer probably picked up a nice case of Bourbon and dropped by the Butcher on the way home that night to place an order for t-bones to fill his freezer in the basement with. All while smoking a fine stogie. I'd even hazard a guess it was a Cuban.

There is no political pressure on guns or ammo up here in Canada. You could place an ad on Craigslist or something looking to buy a used gun, and you'd have gotten calls and went out to see some neat stuff for dirt cheap.

Transferring a gun in Canada is a 15 minute phone call too. Guns in Canada aren't a hot commodity at all.

I'd say you broke even if it shoots like a dream. If you can't hit a coke can at 250 yards all day long from a bipod, you got a lemon. That is the minimum off-hand metric I'd go by.

If you can't do that with it, you know why it was a "slightly used Savage".

Originally Posted By: Falken

The dealer paid max 250$ for this setup, and probably told the previous owner that it is a Walmart gun, it "isn't a Browning", and used scopes hold their value as good as used electronics.

You have no idea what the dealer paid, and given how the gun is setup and the price of the scope new, I'm quite sure the previous owner wouldn't have believed for a second it was a Walmart gun.

I don't really care what you would have paid for it, you didn't pay for it right?

We'll see how it performs when I take it out. New the bare rifle is around $900 bucks on frontierfirearms.ca, so I certainly don't feel I overpaid for it or the scope.

I think you'll love that AccuTrigger! I have one on my Savage 93R17, set as light as it will go- imo, it's the best trigger I've put my finger on. I know there is better out there, but I'm impressed.

Have fun, and post up some aftermath pics soon!

Agreed, the MSRP is 950 bucks for the rifle. Street price in my area is about 790. With the gun market what it is in the USA, true steals are hard in the used market. Probably not a great deal, but with the market conditions its certainly not preposterous.

I am certain that the dealer probably paid much more than 250 bucks for it.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I still have old-school opinions about what a NEW Savage or Mossberg is worth.

Welcome to the new world!

Originally Posted By: Hittman
Very cool - are you a hunter or target shooter?

Primarily target, the only thing I hunt are like raccoon and the like.

I may take up deer at some point, or turkey. But at this point that isn't the case
smile.gif

My shooting is generally pretty casual. We don't go to a range, a buddy of mine's dad owns a good sized chunk of rural property that is great for many different types of shooting including hunting (he got the record buck for the area 2nd day of the dear hunt in 2013) so we put up targets, computer parts....etc at different ranges and pick 'em off. It is a lot of fun, and we usually make a day out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back