Boeing 747 being scrapped after only 50 flight hours

A 747 being used as a private jet? Ridiculous no matter how much money one has.

171107-F-PM645-9171.JPG

The cost of an Air Force One would be a heck of a lot more than the cost of a regular 747.

And I expect that if an Air Force One was retired the systems that were on it would still be top secret and would be removed or scrapped in a way that no one could get a hold of it.

It would be interesting to know what cost the most, a fully equipped Air Force One or a fully equipped aircraft carrier?

The cost of an Air Force One would be a heck of a lot more than the cost of a regular 747.

And I expect that if an Air Force One was retired the systems that were on it would still be top secret and would be removed or scrapped in a way that no one could get a hold of it.

It would be interesting to know what cost the most, a fully equipped Air Force One or a fully equipped aircraft carrier?
Seriously?

That's an easy Google search. The carrier is much more expensive.

The two 747-8s that were ordered in 2018 had a contract price of $3.8 billion.

The USS Ford, ordered about the same time, was $12.8 billion.

While the Ford was nearly $4 billion more than the previous Nimitz-class, it requires 700 fewer sailors, saving more than $4 billion in personnel costs for a lower operating cost over its lifespan that a Nimitz-class.

There is a lot more to any program than just the cost. Capability matters, and the Ford should be able to generate 50% more sorties per day than a Nimitz. The carrier, and her crew, were always the limiting factor in sortie generation. Better systems, like EMALS, that reduce maintenance requirements and operating personnel requirements, account for the increase in carrier capability.

Last edited:
Seriously?

That's an easy Google search. The carrier is much more expensive.

The two 747-8s that were ordered in 2018 had a contract price of $3.8 billion.

The USS Ford, ordered about the same time, was $12.8 billion.

While the Ford was nearly $4 billion more than the previous Nimitz-class, it requires 700 fewer sailors, saving more than $4 billion in personnel costs for a lower operating cost over its lifespan that a Nimitz-class.

There is a lot more to any program than just the cost. Capability matters, and the Ford should be able to generate 50% more sorties per day than a Nimitz. The carrier, and her crew, were always the limiting factor in sortie generation. Better systems, like EMALS, that reduce maintenance requirements and operating personnel requirements, account for the increase in carrier capability.
I never envied the colored shirts, that’s for sure. Working on the 02 level at frame 7 got me as close to that life as I ever wanted…

A 747 being used as a private jet? Ridiculous no matter how much money one has.
Several Arabic and rulers of the Saudi family have one. Let's face it if most of us had $200 Billion lying around we'd have something similar. Keep in mind all of the staff that travel with on the aircraft.

Several Arabic and rulers of the Saudi family have one. Let's face it if most of us had $200 Billion lying around we'd have something similar. Keep in mind all of the staff that travel with on the aircraft.

747s typically hold 400-500 passengers.

Aircraft carrier. 1.18 Billion a year or 4-6 million dollars per day.

Why not cargo plane or too hard to startup?
Needs a buyer. The conversion costs millions. Hard to operate a freight company with one plane - and zero pilots. Getting a freight company off the ground (sorry) takes a lot of cash. And you’re competing with DHL, UPS, FedEx and frankly, major airlines.

This reminds me of a vintage NATO fighter jet I saw for sale at KBFI several years ago. Only $40k for a fighter jet! Of course after purchase it would take another $1M+ just to make it airworthy, let alone operate it. Amplify that with a few extra zeros and you have the situation with this 747. Whoever owns it must have realized it is so expensive to operate, it has no economic use. And if nobody else is willing to buy it, it implies this situation is not specific to the current owner.

Needs a buyer. The conversion costs millions. Hard to operate a freight company with one plane - and zero pilots. Getting a freight company off the ground (sorry) takes a lot of cash. And you’re competing with DHL, UPS, FedEx and frankly, major airlines.
I meant a cargo company already existing not new one.

I did not think pilots are a big deal for 747. My neighbor who is part time cop in small town also flies charter and cargo 747 3-4 days per month.

Last edited:
I meant a cargo company already existing not new one.
Fair enough. I misunderstood. I have to believe they already looked at it. If the maintenance wasn’t kept up, or the preservation not performed (and documented) correctly, it is an unknown money pit. It may not be worth buying, even at scrap value, if tens of millions are required to get it back in fly able condition.

Last edited:
Back